Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4626post #69377 of 787171/27/14 at 8:57ampost #69378 of 787171/27/14 at 9:12ampost #69379 of 787171/27/14 at 9:16ampost #69380 of 787171/27/14 at 9:24ampost #69381 of 787171/27/14 at 9:44amRuffles, I believe you have been chastised for this before, but it helps everyone out when you leave your posts up regardless of how fail they may be. I've posted infinitely worse fits here than anything you have ever posted, and left them in all their glory so that myself and others may learn from my mistakes. I think it would be helpful if you left your fits up, especially if the issue at hand were so minor as pattern clashing rather than say wearing pants 4 sizes too large.post #69382 of 787171/27/14 at 10:12ampost #69383 of 787171/27/14 at 10:17amQuote:
The suit is so smashing and the PS so slick that one could only assume that the person who picked the tie clearly knows what he is doing...post #69384 of 787171/27/14 at 10:18ampost #69385 of 787171/27/14 at 10:19ampost #69386 of 787171/27/14 at 10:22ampost #69387 of 787171/27/14 at 10:24ampost #69388 of 787171/27/14 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
The wider applicability is that, leaving SF aside, the greatest impact our outfits have is a holistic one. The average stranger you meet will process an outfit instantly and stereotype it into various pigeon-holes. Acquaintances will do the same, but modify those stereotypes slightly by in light of their existing impression of you. All this will happen instantly, and unconsciously. Point being, as long as you get the broad brushstrokes of an outfit right (by "right", I mean "in sync with whatever specific image you want to project to others"), the details really don't matter.
I appreciate that this runs contrary to how SF likes to view clothes, but that's because SF scrutinises clothes. Most people you meet will just mentally snapshot & pigeon-hole them. Now, if the details conflict wildly, the gestalt is equally confused. But as long as they're vaguely in sync with each other, the exact details really don't matter. People will see "slim suit", or "70s suit", or "cool kid", or "typical professional", etc, etc.
I think this is important, and very well said. In the context of this thread and its history, sometimes one concentrates on the parts, sometimes on the ensemble. Room for both, I think.
In real life, sometimes one just dresses. And sometimes one dresses *for* something: a profession, an occasion, or whatever. I’m inclined, therefore, to think of the principles of classical styles as means, rather than ends—as tools to use to achieve a particular goal.
The particular fit in question was intended for a senior academic in a university environment. That’s an environment that’s conservative to a degree, but equally relevantly is an environment which is, in virtue of its mission, inherently multigenerational (ranging from 18-year-old freshmen through faculty in their 90s); it’s thus complexly hierarchical both by age and rank.
In such a context one dresses not just with the goal of looking like “X.” One also dresses in order to *avoid* looking like “Y.”
That’s just how I think of it. I’m not saying anyone else needs to think of it that way, and I’m certainly not saying that there might not be equally fruitful or even more fruitful ways of understanding things.
Best to all, and thanks,
Acpost #69389 of 787171/27/14 at 10:39am
Many thanks to Roy Al, YRR92, EFV, Pliny, in stitches, Claghorn, Rudals, eviltimeban, mktitsworth, sugarbutch, Cleav, Gianni Certutti, ejay1, and Holdfast for so generously offering thumbs, comments, or both. Sorry if I’ve inadvertently left anyone out. I’m also sorry it took me so long to post again but I am up against a number of deadlines, and even this response must be far briefer than I’d like it to be.
Back to work.
Acpost #69390 of 787171/27/14 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by luv2breformed
Ruffles, I believe you have been chastised for this before, but it helps everyone out when you leave your posts up regardless of how fail they may be. I've posted infinitely worse fits here than anything you have ever posted, and left them in all their glory so that myself and others may learn from my mistakes. I think it would be helpful if you left your fits up, especially if the issue at hand were so minor as pattern clashing rather than say wearing pants 4 sizes too large.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › "Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis" --... 6 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 56 seconds ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL!!!! Foreigners Tell Others How To Run Their Country Thread 4 minutes ago
- › JAN-JAN VAN ESSCHE 5 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 5 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...