Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4615post #69211 of 787171/24/14 at 4:24ampost #69212 of 787171/24/14 at 4:28ampost #69213 of 787171/24/14 at 4:47amQuote:
Not my choice. Tis a work phone. Free of charge in every way.post #69214 of 787171/24/14 at 4:54ampost #69215 of 787171/24/14 at 6:16ampost #69216 of 787171/24/14 at 6:26am
That's considerably smarter than what I wear when in bed sick, so I guess you're doing something right! Get well soon.Originally Posted by upr_crust
Overcoat is new.
Hat - Selentino Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Both hat & coat look really great on you.Originally Posted by Holdfast Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Originally Posted by Cotton DockersOriginally Posted by Holdfast
It's interesting. I agree that it appears to fit very well. However, despite that, I don't actually find it a flattering fit for his build as it appears to make him look hip-heavy. I know SF trends away from a more built-up shoulder - and I don't even know whether this one is padded or not - but I do think a slightly wider and more structured shoulder might balance things out more. More closed fronts and a (slightly) lower buttoning point creating a longer lapel line would also help in this regard. YMMV, based on how you want garments to look.
I think it makes me look hip-heavy because I am a bit hip-heavy. In general, what would help with that? Lower buttoning stance, more closed quarters, a more structured shoulder, less processed foods?
re: the bolded - you and me both, which is probably why I noticed.
I think the easiest way to cancel it out is to wear clothes that are traditionally English in style/structure. So yes, a somewhat structured shoulder with enough mild extension to moderate any sloping shoulders, a buttoning point close to the natural waist to give the lapel line some length, and a long enough skirt to the jacket to lie over the hips rather than end at them. Closed fronts also help by adding more visual weight to the centre. Of course, I also have the problem of being short, so jacket length becomes a little bit of devil-and-deep-blue-sea, but such is life.
To give this discussion a visual dimension, I've crudely patched together 3 of my recent outfits from this thread. They aren't taken at quite the same size/distance/proportions, so you can't completely "read across" from one photo to the next, but it should give you a general idea of how the more structured English jackets slim me down and reduce the hip-heaviness, compared to the more natural middle one. The blue jacket isn't the best example as it's a bit old now and could do with a few tweaks, but the grey jacket is only a few years old, so is a fair comparison to the natural one. I think the three jackets are also an example of how a structured 3B jacket can look slimmer/better proportioned than a no-longer-perfect structured 2B one, but still, that structured 2B looks better on me than a natural 3B (really a 3-2.5 roll, but whatever)...
The harder way to solve the problem is to work out so your shoulder and chest are naturally a bit bigger. Never going to do that!
(re: processed foods - I appreciate the jokey sentiment, but actually being a bit heavier hides the hips a bit, by padding out the waist, lessening the steepess of visual change between waist & hips. The tailoring equivalent is not being overly aggressive with waist suppression... but if your shoulders aren't naturally broad, that does necessitate some shoulder structure to prevent jackets looking like barrels!)
In case anyone was bored enough to have read the above, I've now replaced the original photo to one including today's jacket, another structured 2B, but more recent than the blue one. I still think the structured 3B flatters my build best.
Anyway, a gloomy & drizzly day today, so attempting to brighten it up. Also, another "Northern Lights" attempt. Do you think today is better than yesterday's brown outfit? I'm minded to use it as my entry instead...post #69217 of 787171/24/14 at 6:27ampost #69218 of 787171/24/14 at 6:38ampost #69219 of 787171/24/14 at 6:43amQuote:Originally Posted by stylesbitchly
Long time no post. Friday business meeting attire in the frozen tundra that is Indianapolis.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the frozen tundra was located about 400 miles north-west from where you are......
You really need to enter this weeks Friday challenge with that outfit, so head over there and post this photo there as well.......
Edited by Pingson - 1/24/14 at 7:03ampost #69220 of 787171/24/14 at 6:57ampost #69221 of 787171/24/14 at 7:03ampost #69222 of 787171/24/14 at 7:08ampost #69223 of 787171/24/14 at 7:15ampost #69224 of 787171/24/14 at 7:16ampost #69225 of 787171/24/14 at 7:23am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 24 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 41 seconds ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 6 minutes ago
- › Bespoke garments and body changes with exercise? 7 minutes ago
- › Junkard Boots 8 minutes ago
- › FOR SALE: 3Sixteen SL-100x Size 29 9 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway