or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4607  

post #69091 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

I'm saying this with a great deal of hesitation, since I am likely pouring gasoline on the "navy pents" flame war, but this is a prime example where mid/light-grey trousers would have been the better choice. Navy works, grey would have been better...... nest.gif

better option? perhaps. but sometimes its fun to do something else. a man can only wear gray and brown pants with his SCs so many times before he gets bored to death. not to mention, i wore this SC last week with a very similar shirt and tie and with light gray trousers. tryna change it up a lil bit this time.

as is well documented, i often have issue with the, "would have been a better choice" critique. sure, its often valid, and sure sometimes someone may not even realize that they made a suboptimal choice, and in that case, its helpful and important feedback to tell them where they could improve.

but sometimes, if something works, and was chosen with the knowledge of what they were doing, than imho, the critique that is left is either it works or it doesnt. in this case, i think the navy trou work very well, and feel free anyone to correct me if im wrong. but do i know that light to mid gray would have been the obvious, and perhaps more optimal option? of course i do.

please dont think im gettin all Y U MAD THO here, because i know you are a solid and well intentioned dood, and there was no :flame: intended there. it was more of a #jussayin reply.
post #69092 of 78722

@Cotton Dockers - thanks. didn't know that thread existed. am still finding my way around here. :)

post #69093 of 78722

I don't see a city/country problem there, CD, though "city/country" is kind of not doing it for me anymore as a major paradigm. It's part of it, but it ain't the be-all-end-all.

 

I do think those trousers are a shade too dark. A gray in the same shade as the green in the coat would probably sing, or light tan moleskins. Square/tie/shirt/jacket is great -- unistripe oxford, perhaps? The jacket is very Vox.

 

As for stitches' rig with the blue trousers, they work well, but there's a lot of  blue all up in there. Pink shirt? Pink shirt. Tie with some pattern? YYY-yep.

 

EDIT: Wrote that before your whole post there, stitches. I don't think the "optimal choice" is always the thing to do. I'm never in a suit, for example, but if I were, I would probably go for the path of least resistance. Similarly, if somebody only occasionally wears a sport coat, then it makes sense for them to do things that are absolutely going to work -- always the "optimal choice."

 

If you wear the same type of thing a lot, then making the safest choice everytime could easily seem boring. I'm in that camp, but I can understand why some folks might not feel that way.

post #69094 of 78722

Brrr.  Uncharacteristically cold today.  Dug this out of the back of my closet.  Didn't know I had it.  Don't know where I got it.

 

 

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #69095 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I actually thought starting with medium to dark grey pants would make things easy, but I kept running into a city/country problem that I'm not sure was remedied. Might try dark brown pants tomorrow.



I sort of see what you mean, with the city/country clash. Brown sounds like a better choice, but even if you don't try that, today certainly qualifies for the FC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

I'm saying this with a great deal of hesitation, since I am likely pouring gasoline on the "navy pents" flame war, but this is a prime example where mid/light-grey trousers would have been the better choice. Navy works, grey would have been better...... nest.gif

better option? perhaps. but sometimes its fun to do something else. a man can only wear gray and brown pants with his SCs so many times before he gets bored to death. not to mention, i wore this SC last week with a very similar shirt and tie and with light gray trousers. tryna change it up a lil bit this time.

as is well documented, i often have issue with the, "would have been a better choice" critique. sure, its often valid, and sure sometimes someone may not even realize that they made a suboptimal choice, and in that case, its helpful and important feedback to tell them where they could improve.

but sometimes, if something works, and was chosen with the knowledge of what they were doing, than imho, the critique that is left is either it works or it doesnt. in this case, i think the navy trou work very well, and feel free anyone to correct me if im wrong. but do i know that light to mid gray would have been the obvious, and perhaps more optimal option? of course i do.

please dont think im gettin all Y U MAD THO here, because i know you are a solid and well intentioned dood, and there was no :flame: intended there. it was more of a #jussayin reply.

Well, it's a clothing forum and we post pics to get opinions, you got mine and you certainly don't have to agree with it. I'm cool with that smack.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Brrr.  Uncharacteristically cold today.  Dug this out of the back of my closet.  Didn't know I had it.  Don't know where I got it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Cheers,

Ac

Welcome to the club, there are far too few tweed three-piece suits around here...... icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #69096 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

[...]
Welcome to the club, there are far too few tweed three-piece suits around here...... icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

Thank you!  Very much appreciated.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #69097 of 78722

It's a "Professor" thing.  :fonz:  @Academic2 not only are you posting pics well, you're taking them like a pro too!  

post #69098 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post
 

It's a "Professor" thing.  :fonz:  @Academic2 not only are you posting pics well, you're taking them like a pro too!  

 

Many thanks.  Very kind of you.  I've been practicing with the lighting, and I can at least attest that the colours on this one are spot on.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #69099 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

Many thanks.  Very kind of you.  I've been practicing with the lighting, and I can at least attest that the colours on this one are spot on.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

On tonights agenda:  Finish cleaning my home office so I can use a better camera/pose for my fit pics.  I don't get a lot of natural light in that room but I do have some stronger incandescent and led bulbs to help.  

post #69100 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

Many thanks.  Very kind of you.  I've been practicing with the lighting, and I can at least attest that the colours on this one are spot on.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


Well...

 

The first reads yellow to me, and the second is a bit red.

 

But hey. Colors are tough to get right in pictures (it's much harder to make a good color photo than a good black and white one), and this as a community, we're pretty used to colors looking not quite right or being inconsistent between photos.

post #69101 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post

As for stitches' rig with the blue trousers, they work well, but there's a lot of  blue all up in there. Pink shirt? Pink shirt. Tie with some pattern? YYY-yep.

im not a pink shirt guy, but yeah, there is a lot of blue there. i think that is the bigger issue than the navy trousers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Well, it's a clothing forum and we post pics to get opinions, you got mine and you certainly don't have to agree with it. I'm cool with that smack.gif

fistbump.gif

i dont disagree with it per say. as in, i agree that gray would be more better. i just thought that as an alternate, the navy works, but apparently, even that assertion may be false. derp. fml. #theycantallbewinners
post #69102 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


im not a pink shirt guy, but yeah, there is a lot of blue there. i think that is the bigger issue than the navy trousers.
 

Yeah, I can't really picture you in a pink shirt, but put that jacket and those trousers on a mannequin with a pink shirt, and it would look great.

post #69103 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

On tonights agenda:  Finish cleaning my home office so I can use a better camera/pose for my fit pics.  I don't get a lot of natural light in that room but I do have some stronger incandescent and led bulbs to help.  

From someone with a lot of experience with lighting (incandescent, compact fluorescent, and LED), LED lighting is very white - color balance is best with them. Fluorescent bulbs always give a yellowish cast to photos, and, as I remember, incandescents do the same, to a lesser degree.
post #69104 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

PCK1 - This is all kinds of awesome, but you may want to post that here. Although that thread gets very little traffic.


Looking good!

 



Wouldn't mid-gray just blend in with the jacket? I'm assuming Stiches' coat is more odd jacket in person than in pics, but I feel like it could come off as two parts of two different suits. 



 



BTW - your tweed suit is fantastic.



 



Stitches - I don't think that jacket looks big at all. Very nice.



 



Possible entry for Pingson's Friday challenge:



 



CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality


[/URL]

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






 



I actually thought starting with medium to dark grey pants would make things easy, but I kept running into a city/country problem that I'm not sure was remedied. Might try dark brown pants tomorrow.



Fantastic sport coat, CD. Looks to fit very well.
post #69105 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


From someone with a lot of experience with lighting (incandescent, compact fluorescent, and LED), LED lighting is very white - color balance is best with them. Fluorescent bulbs always give a yellowish cast to photos, and, as I remember, incandescents do the same, to a lesser degree.

My home office has a combination of the two so I'm hoping it will look ok.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III