or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4593  

post #68881 of 78723

Yeah but that would still be awesome.  Wear that and this thread will thumb the shit out of it.  I promise.  Quality is quality....classic and timeless....

post #68882 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
 

^ Ah yes I remember some of those fits now - especially the "English country gent" one. :-)

 

Funny, if given the choice I would always go with suits. Might be more of a European thing. Or at least, here in Dublin 99% of office workers wear suits (and about 50% of them are awful).

 

However you do always pull off a great SC / trousers look!


Ireland is...#1 on my list of places to visit.

 

(of places that I've never visited)


Edited by Claghorn - 1/20/14 at 8:16am
post #68883 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 


Ireland is...#1 on my list of places to visit.

 

(of places that I've never visited)

 

Ireland is great. Its not at all what you think its like.

post #68884 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
 

 

Ireland is great. Its not at all what you think its like.


What I want is a guide to Irish made sweaters of high quality that don't cost >$400 (yes, this is looking at you Inis Meian). Will consider travel to Ireland to inspect!

post #68885 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Pingson, hard to see any reason for regrets here. The fun thing is that you could look good wearing this jacket in many different ways, as you do here, or wearing a forest green (perhaps even olive), textured tie (wool/grenadine) or even navy as mimo suggests. And any of those ties with this pocket square.

This is really an advertisement for why a few excellent jackets will get you very far (for those of us on a budget). Variety can then come from beautifully matched accessories. Again, well done my academic friend, you put me to shame.

Thanks for the kind comments. I wholeheartedly agree, it is very tempting go go for fancy checks and colourful plaids when desciding on a tweed jacket. In the end they become very hard to wear (only a few accessories go with each jacket) and you also get bored with them after awhile (at least that's my experience). However with simple solids that have done visual interest (Donegals like today, herringbones eye etc) it us much easier to create "new" looks. Get a new tie and/or a new PS - voila a different look from yesterday.

It has taken my quite some time to realise this, but now I'm glad I did when I'm about to embark on my first real bespoke experience - instead of some fancy three-piece PoW with purple or burgundy over-check it will be a simple mid-grey birdseye three-piece suit that I probably could wear everyday and still not get bored with.
post #68886 of 78723

Hopefully I'm not patternizing to excessity here.  

 

post #68887 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
 

 

Ireland is great. Its not at all what you think its like.


What I want is a guide to Irish made sweaters of high quality that don't cost >$400 (yes, this is looking at you Inis Meian). Will consider travel to Ireland to inspect!

 

Ah, you want to go to the Kilkenny Design Centre then.

 

Or Blarney Woolen Mills: http://www.blarney.com/aran-sweaters-men/

 

Or any number of smaller shops selling tweed / wool products!

post #68888 of 78723

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. 

 

post #68889 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post


Thanks for the kind comments. I wholeheartedly agree, it is very tempting go go for fancy checks and colourful plaids when desciding on a tweed jacket. In the end they become very hard to wear (only a few accessories go with each jacket) and you also get bored with them after awhile (at least that's my experience). However with simple solids that have done visual interest (Donegals like today, herringbones eye etc) it us much easier to create "new" looks. Get a new tie and/or a new PS - voila a different look from yesterday.

It has taken my quite some time to realise this, but now I'm glad I did when I'm about to embark on my first real bespoke experience - instead of some fancy three-piece PoW with purple or burgundy over-check it will be a simple mid-grey birdseye three-piece suit that I probably could wear everyday and still not get bored with.


My wish list for winters (it will take me years of starbucks deprivation for this...)

 

1. A brown donegal like yours (or perhaps a navy one, or both!)

2. A navy patterned flannel (reasonably subtle, but not too subtle, brown overcheck, or POW with light brown overcheck)

3. A slate blue (darker end) herringbone, reasonably strong herringbone

 

Three patterns, brown/blue spectrum. Alternate suggestions appreciated. Examples appreciated.

 

I think I could survive winters then...

post #68890 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
 

 

Ah, you want to go to the Kilkenny Design Centre then.

 

Or Blarney Woolen Mills: http://www.blarney.com/aran-sweaters-men/

 

Or any number of smaller shops selling tweed / wool products!


THose Blarney sweaters are surprisingly affordable, suspiciously affordable! Have you experience with them?

post #68891 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 


Drakes in "fuck you red". I tried to tell Noodles that every collection requires one such tie, but he got rid (apparently) of his red Hober.

I still have the RED "F-U!" Sam Hober grenade tie. I just don't know when to wear it. Apparently, a whole lot of people wear 'em on Capitol Hill.  

post #68892 of 78723

post #68893 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 


THose Blarney sweaters are surprisingly affordable, suspiciously affordable! Have you experience with them?

 

Not personally (Irish people, especially *Dublin* Irish people, don't really wear them), but they would be one of the more well known makers of those sweaters and would be of very high quality. Aran sweaters especially. They have a range of stores and even sell the wool itself for those who want to knit their own. They would be world-famous for it really.

 

I do have a personal liking for this kind of Aran sweater and always meant to get one: http://www.blarney.com/irish-shop/ronan-aran-polo-sweater/

post #68894 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
 

 

Ireland is great. Its not at all what you think its like.

 

Dublin remains one of my favourite cities, though it's not as pleasant now as it was before the economic collapse. 

 

And the home of some fine country tweed, e.g.:

http://www.kevinandhowlin.com/

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #68895 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

 

That's a suit isn't it Holdfast? The lighting makes it look like two separates. I like the shirt / tie combo for sure.

Thanks. Yes, it's a suit. Lighting is my perennial bugbear. :)


Edited by Holdfast - 1/20/14 at 9:53am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III