or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 455

post #6811 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Borrelli.


Thanks.
Click the spoiler tag for more.
O my.... . I didn't see the spoilers, first.
post #6812 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsp8 View Post
Damn, get some self esteem. Who are all these other guys? Just because they've posted a bajillion outfits and got the house style down to a grim science doesn't mean they are god or infallible or have especial 'rights'. Take a chance and take the cell phone out of your ass and post something amusing! It's just clothes and it's just the interweb. Some of these 'legends' get a little boring and fossilized.

If I was making fun of anyone, it's of myself. I got a lot of ribbing for being loud etc. so I had fun with it.



Meh, I disagree. I often prefer to post 'problem outfits', outfits I'm not at all sure work, to get feedback. When I post outfits that I'm surer of (e.g. my latest pic), I get virtually no feedback. What's the point of posting if you don't get feedback. Was the outfit so terrible it was beneath mention? So great it couldn't be improved upon? What?

Comes down to what people are trying to get out of this place. For me, I couldn't care whether random people on the internet don't like my style/taste, but if they can help me make it better, they can go ahead and call me a fudge-packin' bathroom-stall-tappin' Nancy Boy, I don't care. Frankly gay guys make fun of that fact that I wear suits, and I'm my own man, not just 'a gay'. That's why I could never bother with that other forum, it's too much a love-in for stuff that doesn't deserve love.

So I value the criticism, and if it's witty, so much the better. But if you're going to trash someone, don't just ignore them when they've made an improvement. Continue to help them to improve. I must have got a dozen trashy comments for whatever teal/underwear posts, and one 'much better' when I dressed in what I see as the approved style, but still no suggestions for improvment.

That's why I left here for a while... trashing comments at my beginning efforts, silence when (I thought) I'd improved. Where was I to go from there?



It was a joke with some refence to classic men's dress.



But then Masterclaster wrote "Crusty got/gets a lot of flak because he's got the fundamentals down really well but it sort of got boring after a while because it seems (to me anyway) that there's no real unique personality there."

So does he have fundamentals down but have his own style or the opposite? Anyway, I've seen a big improvement with him from his days on the other forum and over his time here. I hope he comes back. Let us remember that being a gentleman is more than texture matching, it involves treating each other with respect and decency and politeness.

[/spoiler]

Man, sweet shirt and tie, but I fear they don't work together. Maybe a solid pink tie with the shirt?



Tie does look too wide, but maybe if the jacket buttoned higher it would not look thus?



You seem to know the rules well, but I've never heard the distinction between restaurant versus cafe/diner. I would tend to take off my hat when I'm seated indoors and partaking of food or drink. Is this not correct? On a side note, in the current play '9 to 5' there is a southern gentleman speaking to a lady, and even speaks the line 'I am speaking to a lady' yet keeps his hat on the entire time! And do you tip or doff your hat to men, or is that considered an insult? I've yet to understand that.



So you've basically contradicted your case. You say oh boo hoo it's so terrible all the AMATEURS we have here, then you go on to say how some of the more Revered posters started out as little putzes like us and grew into beautiful butterflies and flew away. The way to get more Masters then would be through more instruction and less driving people away.

Maybe there should be two sections: for those who want to learn, and who those who basically just are a universal inspiration to others.

I think I'd want to kill myself if I were in that section. I like the learning, and the expressing of my personality through dress, not reaching some universally approved preordained outcome=groupthink.

You obviously have a very different interpretation of what this thread is supposed to be about. At one point, SF was frequented by well-dressed men with an established sense of style and the WAYWRN thread was where pictures of their outfits were posted. There was an implicit assumption that the outfits were good given the population. Those pictures soon became reference material of people who were looking for examples of good fit, combinations, etc.

Instead, people now seem to think that WAYWRN is literally where you post whatever you're wearing that day, regardless of whether the outfit is good or not. I don't think that WAYWRN was ever meant to be a self-help critique my outfit thread.
post #6813 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

That is a great looking suit, Spoo. It is the wrong tie, however.

Mike
post #6814 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post
Instead, people now seem to think that WAYWRN is literally where you post whatever you're wearing that day, regardless of whether the outfit is good or not. I don't think that WAYWRN was ever meant to be a self-help 'critique my outfit' thread.

post #6815 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Trini is right so not sure what you think your doing................
post #6816 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post
You obviously have a very different interpretation of what this thread is supposed to be about. At one point, SF was frequented by well-dressed men with an established sense of style and the WAYWRN thread was where pictures of their outfits were posted. There was an implicit assumption that the outfits were good given the population. Those pictures soon became reference material of people who were looking for examples of good fit, combinations, etc.

Instead, people now seem to think that WAYWRN is literally where you post whatever you're wearing that day, regardless of whether the outfit is good or not. I don't think that WAYWRN was ever meant to be a self-help critique my outfit thread.

Being new around here I personally had no idea about the history of the WAYWRN thread and given the fact that it seemed to include lots of 'self help critique my outfit posts' I naturally assumed this was the thread for them.

Having just posted such a fit on here I now worry that I have somehow been offensive.

Would there be another thread where one should post their outfits for critique?

It seems to me that at least two well defined threads might be in order here.

Just a thought - cheers!
post #6817 of 75863
I actually liked the CBD thread untill olddog decided to make things uncomfortable.
post #6818 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post
It seems to me that at least two well defined threads might be in order here.

Like in SW&D. Tah-dah! *jazzy hands
post #6819 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
I actually liked the CBD thread untill olddog decided to make things uncomfortable.

the funny thing about the CBD thread was that some people got upset with it, basically calling it a circle jerk of the "popular" posters and that CBD was a very, very fluid concept that should include sockless suits, loud ties etc etc. So that thread went down the drain. This thread is similar but I guess feeling that way makes me an idiot. We have threads like the shoe porn and folded shirt porn threads where people post the things they are supposed to post. No one posts teva sandals in the shoe porn thread or polo shirts in the shirt porn thread yet the equivalent gets posted here regularly.
post #6820 of 75863
You could always ignore certain posts though, just saying.
post #6821 of 75863
There are two threads. What are you wearing right now, and the critique my outfit thread. The latter should probably be pinned to alleviate the confusion.
post #6822 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
I actually liked the CBD thread untill olddog decided to make things uncomfortable.

I read that CBD thread from beginning to painful end last weekend. It was great! Not only did it demonstrate lots of great looks - but it also demonstrated that there actually is NO universal definition of Conservative Business Dress outside of the 'IBM LOOK'.

As an outsider looking into this particular forum I think there is a place for several, more well defined threads. This would allow for a much broader discussion on a more detailed level and would prevent people from being pushed away simply because they don't fit a particular mold/demographic which is considered to be appropriate to this thread.

I would like to see a 'master class' thread where only those who are established would post - and in which NOOBS (such as myself) and those posting 'test fits' were summarly chased out (even to the point of having their posts deleted). This sort of 'curated' thread would be invaluable.

This would work well if there was an additional thread that was more specifically oriented to those of us who are here to learn by having our looks 'run through the gauntlet'.

As the art of full on dress for business is simply not widely accepted nor practiced in the US any longer I also think there should also be a third thread devoted to the 'classically based' casual and business casual fits that fall outside of full on CBD.

Just some random thoughts from a newbie.
post #6823 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post
You could always ignore certain posts though, just saying.
Ditto. I understand where all you silly billies—oh, I mean, old-timers—are coming from, but be a fucking adult, and scroll past! Is it so hard? Jesus H. Christ, it's like some of you here are still in grade school!
post #6824 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
There are two threads. What are you wearing right now, and the critique my outfit thread. The latter should probably be pinned to alleviate the confusion.

Oh, that's where I should have started posting! Now, I got it. Thanks!
post #6825 of 75863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post
Ditto. I understand where all you cunts"”oh, I mean, old-timers"”are coming from, but be a fucking adult, and scroll past! Is it so hard? Jesus H. Christ, it's like some of you here are still in grade school!

Wow. Great solution.

When you have to skip full pages, then obviously someone's doing something wrong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III