Don't you yank that chain, boy!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4535post #68012 of 787171/9/14 at 12:28ampost #68013 of 787171/9/14 at 1:21ampost #68014 of 787171/9/14 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Just to be clear on the denim thing, I don't think it is totally without use: seriously, were I riding a classic motorcycle and accompanying my jeans with a black biker jacket and some oiled (deliberately and otherwise) boots, or driving longhorns across West Texas, or smashing rocks in some kind of penal colony, there could be nothing more appropriate. But my issue is this: in every other conceivable instance, there is a better choice. Yes, you could wear jeans with a sports jacket - though not as scruffy as the item you dragged out yesterday - and it would look OK. But coloured twills, cords, grey flannels or any number of other things, would still look sharper. It's a bit like the whole collar-points-under-the-lapels thing: nobody in the real world is going to point a finger and say "hey, look at that dickhead with his insufficiently spread collar!" (well, unless you are unfortunate enough to walk past an incognito SF meet of especially judgemental and acerbic members, to which you were not invited). And nobody is going to say "hey, that guy's wearing jeans with his sports jacket!" either, probably, as most will either consider you dressed up for wearing a jacket at all that isn't made of nylon with a baseball logo on the back, or achingly cool for your "street style".
But this is, after all, the "Classic Menswear" section, and I think we should aspire to be the best-dressed we can possibly be. In some ways, how we dress when we are relaxed says more about our standards than how we dress when we're making an effort: everyone usually looks decent in black tie. But catch a guy in the supermarket, and the one in a well-fitting lambswool sweater, wide wale cords and country brogues is just as relaxed and comfortable as the other guy in jogging pants and a sweatshirt. But when the radio announces the zombie apocalypse or similar, for some reason everyone turns towards Mr country casual as he says "...right, this is what we need to do...." Jeans are the lowest common denominator - the shorthand of "casual" for pretty much everyone. But as such they are so generic that they neither say "relaxed" nor even "rebellious" as James Dean might have thought. They say lazy and unimaginative. And also, I think, cautious. An inverted kind of conservatism: "everyone gets jeans, right?". Pah. Better to be pointed at by intrigued children for wearing burnt orange chinos, than have someone's dad say "ha...yeah...501s...me too...worn nothing else since 1972...". Iggy Pop gets a pass. Nobody else.
Anyway, I digress: your jacket still doesn't fit. It's too tight across the belly and chest, making the quarters pop up and stand straight out in front of you like belly antennae, and pulling your shoulders down. There's no immediate solution to that, I fear. Which is a pity as the jacket is nice. You look kind of uncomfortable as a result of trying to stand in the most jacket accommodating way, so it's hard to say how your (perfectly decent) trousers fit. And I really do like your shoes.
Oh dear, quite the commotion I caused by (almost) innocently posting my denim fit pic from Tuesday.
I'm well aware I'm a noob here and my opinion won't count that much. I do, however, still disagree with mimo (and PB) about denim. I agree though that it is not easy to pull off with a jacket. I never wear denim with a tie and am convinced lightning would (and should) strike me if I did. I would also like to point out, that I did wear a OCBD shirt and a sweater, not a dress shirt.
I think however that a combination of SC and denim can look good although mine was not up to the high standards of this forum. NOBD rightly gets away with this combination without flagellation because he does it extremely well.
I also agree that the jacket I wore with the jeans was not a good fit and - as was shown yesterday - will never be for me, even with different pants.
mimo, I strongly disagree on your preference of non-denim jeans. In my opinion they are a chimera that should not exist and must be banned and burned (slightly tongue in cheek here). If I want to do casual with cotton twill I go for chinos.
Anyway, I will accept that denim is not Classic Menswear in a SF sense of the word and will refrain from posting further fits that include said fabric as to not get anymore knickers (denim or not) in a twist.
That is all.post #68015 of 787171/9/14 at 2:08ampost #68016 of 787171/9/14 at 3:07amI have become aware that my pocket square game is kind of weak so I raided the (only) local menswear store here yesterday in search for pocket squares. I wouldn't get caught dead wearing most of the stuff they sell, but I figured that their PSs should at least be serviceable. To my surprise I came across a really nice selection of wool challis PSs from am Italian company named Varoli. Googling didn't bring up much info, anyone heard of this company before? The PS were really nice with muted colours (just as I like them) and surprisingly cheap (about €25). I pretty much cleaned out their selection, but I will go back there and see if they get more stuff later in the spring. The PS in today's fit is one of the four I picked up..
Details (Click to show)post #68017 of 787171/9/14 at 3:42ampost #68018 of 787171/9/14 at 4:05ampost #68019 of 787171/9/14 at 4:17ampost #68020 of 787171/9/14 at 4:21ampost #68021 of 787171/9/14 at 4:33amAllegedly, the weather is supposed to warm up to more normal January temperatures today, so I have eschewed the second scarf and the fur hat for the nonce.
Suit & scarf - New & Lingwood
Shirt - BB
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - BB
Shoes - C & J
Overcoat - Adolfo
Hat - Selentino
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #68022 of 787171/9/14 at 4:47am
Quintessential Pingson and Crusty today!
Arglist: that jacket still looks like it's struggling a little somehow around the middle, but it's not all out of shape like the other one. And the overall composition is very pleasant and cheerful. Two constructive suggestions, though: first, a PS, even just a plain white one. And second, as I was trying to say to Noodles the other day, when everything is smooth and solid it can feel a bit bland. A striped small-checked shirt, OR a patterned tie, would give it a bit more personality. But nothing wrong there at all really. Again, nice shoes and a really appealing match with the suit.post #68023 of 787171/9/14 at 4:59amQuote:Arglist: And second, as I was trying to say to Noodles the other day, when everything is smooth and solid it can feel a bit bland. A striped small-checked shirt, OR a patterned tie, would give it a bit more personality.
Mimo: DO you think it would it be enough to have a PS with a pattern to contrast with the solid/smooth fit?post #68024 of 787171/9/14 at 5:01am
Maybe, but normally the PS is so small it doesn't quite have the same effect, and even looks odd unless the tie has something going on too. And when I say pattern, even a little texture in the tie or the jacket makes a difference I think.
I should add, again, that this is a conclusion i've reached relatively recently after a year and a half on SF comparing my own and others' examples: I would default to all solids in a regular basis, but have decided there is usually room for improvement. We are all here to inspire each other and be inspired, after all.post #68025 of 787171/9/14 at 5:09am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The Rise and Rise of Donald J Trump 6 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 11 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 17 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 23 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 23 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 28 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 29 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 30 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...