Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 2/18/14 at 2:14am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4528
Styleforum Top Picks
Actually the shortness bothers me more than the shoulder issue (the dimples appear and disappear as I move). The lenght is unchanged (it's a short size), so the button position should be correct. But I agree it looks off.
Thanks for commenting on the positives. Sadly, while doing the pics I realized the pants are rather terrible, too much fabric around the seat and on the inside of the tighs.
I like my tie, though. :)
Yes, I see the pants issue too now. Keep positive!
I'm no Zizek, but when I was just starting out (as a lecturer), I taught in white t-shirts.
Now, I wear a coat/tie...but still remain in the minority on my campus (and even more of a minority for wearing a PS).
There's another discussion for "formality/uniform" and context where it is required. I think the classroom is one of those more formal contexts, but people these days like it casual on campus. Certainly, a public scholarly lecture demands a coat and tie. Sweats, no.
It's still cold enough to need a scarf to wrap around one's face, and the Astrakhan is from Seifter Associates, via (he says shamefacedly) Century 21, several years ago. I wish that I had kopped the brown one as well - alas . . .
Just to be clear on the denim thing, I don't think it is totally without use: seriously, were I riding a classic motorcycle and accompanying my jeans with a black biker jacket and some oiled (deliberately and otherwise) boots, or driving longhorns across West Texas, or smashing rocks in some kind of penal colony, there could be nothing more appropriate. But my issue is this: in every other conceivable instance, there is a better choice. Yes, you could wear jeans with a sports jacket - though not as scruffy as the item you dragged out yesterday - and it would look OK. But coloured twills, cords, grey flannels or any number of other things, would still look sharper. It's a bit like the whole collar-points-under-the-lapels thing: nobody in the real world is going to point a finger and say "hey, look at that dickhead with his insufficiently spread collar!" (well, unless you are unfortunate enough to walk past an incognito SF meet of especially judgemental and acerbic members, to which you were not invited). And nobody is going to say "hey, that guy's wearing jeans with his sports jacket!" either, probably, as most will either consider you dressed up for wearing a jacket at all that isn't made of nylon with a baseball logo on the back, or achingly cool for your "street style".
But this is, after all, the "Classic Menswear" section, and I think we should aspire to be the best-dressed we can possibly be. In some ways, how we dress when we are relaxed says more about our standards than how we dress when we're making an effort: everyone usually looks decent in black tie. But catch a guy in the supermarket, and the one in a well-fitting lambswool sweater, wide wale cords and country brogues is just as relaxed and comfortable as the other guy in jogging pants and a sweatshirt. But when the radio announces the zombie apocalypse or similar, for some reason everyone turns towards Mr country casual as he says "...right, this is what we need to do...." Jeans are the lowest common denominator - the shorthand of "casual" for pretty much everyone. But as such they are so generic that they neither say "relaxed" nor even "rebellious" as James Dean might have thought. They say lazy and unimaginative. And also, I think, cautious. An inverted kind of conservatism: "everyone gets jeans, right?". Pah. Better to be pointed at by intrigued children for wearing burnt orange chinos, than have someone's dad say "ha...yeah...501s...me too...worn nothing else since 1972...". Iggy Pop gets a pass. Nobody else.
Anyway, I digress: your jacket still doesn't fit. It's too tight across the belly and chest, making the quarters pop up and stand straight out in front of you like belly antennae, and pulling your shoulders down. There's no immediate solution to that, I fear. Which is a pity as the jacket is nice. You look kind of uncomfortable as a result of trying to stand in the most jacket accommodating way, so it's hard to say how your (perfectly decent) trousers fit. And I really do like your shoes.
Crusty, I do like you with a dickie. That's a nice mix of conservative-you and country-you. Professorial-you, perhaps?
Don, that tie and PS are a perfect combination and really well matched with the suit. Nice pick-up; I'm waiting for a delivery from ET myself...
CP, you are off the leash these days, my friend! Some part of me says that shouldn't work, but it does. You look quite the dandy, in every positive way possible.
He is American in pants terminology, Texan in bars, Latino in buttocks and English in Korean dental standards.
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- › Versatility of Black Knit Tie? 51 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 2 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 4 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 4 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 5 minutes ago
- › Polo PRL Medium Grey Wool/Cashmere Trousers made in Italy 35x33 5 minutes ago
- › 100k pull-ups in 2014 7 minutes ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw