Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4487post #67291 of 7872312/29/13 at 3:55pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #67292 of 7872312/29/13 at 3:58pm
Claghorn -- worsted is basically a binary thing, since it refers to a way of spinning the yarn. That might not be a super-smooth jacket, but a fairly smooth jacket with matching buttons and no pattern is going to look like an orphan.
Of course, I put this on this morning thinking it didn't look too orphaned, but now I'm not sure. Wore this with brown cords and tan brogues. Any thoughts are welcome.post #67293 of 7872312/29/13 at 4:28pmpost #67294 of 7872312/29/13 at 5:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Pliny
know what u mean. their sewing is incredible for the price. get your measurements rite and they're as good as anything I've seen.
(full disclosure - my trews arrived with the exposed closing horn button split in two - quality control isn't perfect)
I had 3 horn buttons crack, too but Luxire was more than glad to send me replacements. In my opinion that's the trade off you agree to when choosing natural horn over synthetic polyester. There's no affordable NDT for buttons and sometimes one wash cycle is all it takes.
@EFV if you liked my trousers (aka the Clapents) you can specify order #5127 which goes as follows:
hand made bar tacks, pick stitching, coin pocket, split waistband, side metal adjusters, button fly with tab, rounded tab closure with two metal hooks, inside rayon lining to the knee, buttonable 5cm cuffs (not really recommend these with anything heavier than 10oz, though):Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #67295 of 7872312/29/13 at 6:16pmThe buttons were originally brown horn, but I didn't like the way they look. I'll accept that it may come across as an orphan suit jacket (though not egregiously so with the patch pockets), but I'd rather that in minor form than to be unhappy with the aesthetics of it.
You might need to ask on the Unipair thread or message Unipair Guy. They carry a lot of ties (mostly Drakes and Breuer as well as their house brand), but it isn't something they emphasize in their web presence. That tie also comes in gray and navy as well as olive pindot and burgundy pindot.post #67296 of 7872312/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #67297 of 7872312/29/13 at 6:44pmpost #67298 of 7872312/29/13 at 6:47pm
I like wide lapels, though I agree the gorge here isn't great. I also think the relationship between the collar of the jacket and the lapel isn't quite right -- it's like the notch is a funny shape.
The shirt collar is pretty lame on its own (the points are too short to roll properly), but what about the jacket makes it worse? Is it the distance between the points and the jacket, or something else?post #67299 of 7872312/29/13 at 8:51pmQuote:
Buttons, certainly, make a huge difference. It was not until about a year ago--when I went through a mtm blazer experience-- did I learn/realize the importance of having the right kind of button on a coat. Up to that time, buttons were completely off my radar. When the tailor brought out several trays of buttons from which to choose, I was amazed to see how the various colors and hues changed, completely, the look of a plain navy coat. I liked every one of them. Finally, I had to rely on the tailor's good eye and experience to make the selection. Since then, I have been much more aware and appreciative of the lowly button. It is not so "lowly".post #67300 of 7872312/29/13 at 9:16pmYRR, that check is toward the suitier end of the spectrum. Those in the Foo camp would tell you unequivocally that it does not work as an odd jacket. For me, it would depend on the details.post #67301 of 7872312/29/13 at 9:24pmQuote:
That sounds about right. The detailing alone is, generally, too suit-like for me -- no swelled edges, normal pockets. I think I've been looking at the pattern from too close. As soon as I saw the pictures, I was pretty sure that it wouldn't fly.
I have the trousers, but they need a touch of reweaving and they're even more dated than the coat (they taper, but in the wrong direction). Maybe I'll make them a project.
EDIT: What are arts and crafts like at Foo camp? Do you think they're hiring counselors?post #67302 of 7872312/29/13 at 9:36pm
I'll make the thread sometime late on Tuesday, but the new challenge for next Friday:
Friday Challenge: SF Family Values
The basic premise: you need to post a fit with at least two pieces from different brands/sellers considered a part of the SF Family. This could be affiliate vendors or active members with their own brands/products.
Who qualifies: Off the top of my head, Panta, Sam Hober, Post-Imperial, and Wolf vs Goat are clearly members of the SF Family even if they aren't AV's. All affiliate vendor brands are allowed. In addition, clothing bought through resellers (like Malford of London, Exquisite Trimmings, NMWA) is also allowed. Luxeswap is a tricky case. I'm disallowing anything bought through Luxeswap's auctions (sorry Spoo), but allowing anything that Luxeswap carried like a regular reseller (the belts, or the Drakes for Luxeswap that I just noticed Stitchy has).
* to reward difficulty, every additional item--again from different Family Members--past two grants a two vote bonus. So if you manage to wear the wears of five different Family Members, that's an additional 6 votes
* Family Members are strongly encourage to participate. They just can't rep themselves.
* I reserve the right to make additional rules before the first entry is submitted.post #67303 of 7872312/29/13 at 10:25pmpost #67304 of 7872312/29/13 at 10:51pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 10 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 12 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 13 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 College Football Season Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)