Either way that bright blue tweed is a nice twist.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:40 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4480post #67186 of 7872212/27/13 at 1:02am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #67187 of 7872212/27/13 at 1:35am
How bout 'awsm'
Quote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Hoping this picture works...
Wore this with tan brogues and gray flannels. Any thoughts are welcome.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i c what u mean- i.e. the 'waterfall' effect when a the top of the sleeve is fitted into a slightly smaller armscye, requiring a series of tiny pleatspost #67188 of 7872212/27/13 at 5:47amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
First of all, sorry for the huge picture.
Is there anything it clashes with? Obviously, I didn't spot anything on that front. I suppose the blue in the square picks up on the blue shirt, but it's not a big thing.
I don't see any clashes!
I would have gone lighter if you had one though. I also think that the tie and the jacket look too similar in tone over there, but that might just be the image.
I like it, but was just being slightly critical!post #67189 of 7872212/27/13 at 6:32ampost #67190 of 7872212/27/13 at 6:50ampost #67191 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:07am
I think they would work very well for that outfit. A really dark burgundy would also have been nice. But I prefer black here more; all the colours are either icy or steely blues, so black must mesh nicely.post #67192 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:10ampost #67193 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:15amQuote:
Why not a richer yellow more saturated. What seems to me a bit discordant is the level of brightness of the yellow which against the dark brown and the deeper red/burgundy just draws all attention to the hank. Makes it less an accent than a centerpiece. I would actually go more saturated and even darker a tad. But I think in the yellow range was the right idea. Subdued gold? Certain shades of green would have worked IMO (again not bright...the drakes Navajos a few page back)
Agree about not needing to match. Complementing is good too paricularly with hanks.post #67194 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:19amThat said I was going to say that Claghorn seems too blue on top, but I like the look. It settles nicely the more you look at it. Cool in a tonal way. Even though the PS Is blue the contrast in the pattern makes it an astute choice, IMO. And why shouldn't we feel a bit blue now and again. Nice look.post #67195 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:29ampost #67196 of 7872212/27/13 at 7:50amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92Quote:
I think upr_crust has the same tie. I just drove myself crazy trying to find this picture -- he paired it with a plain light green satin hank. The light green is actually a great idea -- it has the same relationship with the purple in the suit as the forest green in the tie has with the tie's purple. I'm not crazy about plain satin hanks, and I think the light green works because the suit here is lighter than my coat.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I do indeed have the same tie, and the light green PS works because it picks up the green from the tie, and because my suit was lighter than than your navy blazer, and wouldn't have been as great a contrast were you to have used the same PS with your jacket.
Edited by upr_crust - 12/27/13 at 10:28ampost #67197 of 7872212/27/13 at 8:09am
Incidentally since we've been talking about Drake's pocket squares and Sugar Butch's nice sand square, here are other colors in that pattern, at $39 at Barneys.
They have the green one too, and a few other pocket squares from this season.post #67198 of 7872212/27/13 at 8:13am
Yeah, I just didn't like the way the textures and colors were popping. I agree that the PS seemed to be the center of attention there when it shouldn't have.
Honestly, I agree about clags PS as well though I have to admit I didn't really notice it at first. I also like how the patch pocket is almost in line with the pattern, but not quite. It adds a bit of flavor to everything!post #67199 of 7872212/27/13 at 8:23amThanks for the feedback, gents.
Upr, I think I might try a square with some light green if I paired it with a navy blazer, but a green against the warm brown would be tricky for me.
RTC, slight criticism is good. But if something works, then it works. The tie and jacket are both quite saturated, though the tie is a little lighter in terms of value (I'd call it "a shade," but that's arbitrary), and of course the hues are perfectly different (though the complementary colors might read as brown from a great distance).
TweedyProf, I think I like my hanks to have a bit more contrast with the coat than your ideal -- at least with such a dark coat. I'd have considered white linen if the shirt had more white in it. I tend to think their primary function is as part of the silhouette. Do you really think it's discordant the way, like, a crimson neat would be?
EDIT: RTC, may I ask for your thoughts on the textures?
TweedyProf, though the colors in that Drake's square are lovely, I think it would be too busy against this tie. Maybe with a plain shirt and a mid-gray flannel suit. Also, by my math, I don't quite push $39 worth of clothes (what I paid, obviously, not what they cost) above the ankles in this fit, and I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a square.post #67200 of 7872212/27/13 at 8:46am
That jacket is pretty texture heavy and that was really visible on the way that image was taken. Comparatively, the tie and PS (more so the PS) just look flat. The tie's rigid horizontal twill compared with the almost 'wabi sabi' nature of the jacket and the 'flatness' of the PS just look a little disharmonious to me.
I'm being very critical here, mind you. I still think it looks good although I would have gone with a different PS. A darker one, I think.
All this coming from someone that can barely dress himself, so...
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 1 minute ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › 3 pairs of Samurai jeans 36w $210 2 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 5 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS15 6 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 6 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF FEB... 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...