or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4449  

post #66721 of 78722

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday.

post #66722 of 78722
Thumbs for both the text and the fit. But I agree with your assessment of the aggressive tapering.
post #66723 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Thanks. I went button collar given how heavy the fit was on the tweed side. Spread collar seemed too "city".
Yes, this is a hair shorter than is ideal. I think 2 inches overstates it (indeed it measures just 0.5 inches off my preferred length), but I certainly see your point. Camera angle may also be a factor.
I think that vest is tricky, because it's tweed, but also a pretty formal style - I'd love one in black worsted wool to go with my morning coat. You're maybe combining country and city there already, so perhaps a country colour shirt, like pale green, with a spread collar, might marry the whole thing. Or it could be a disaster, I'm really not sure. Just thinking out loud.
post #66724 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
 

 

What is the general rule on pant leg opening to foot size - 75% or 2/3? And is it of the foot's length or the shoe length? I don't know, but if you subscribe to that the tapering is a tad much, but everything else is immaculate.

post #66725 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

Stitch: Needs a PS. peepwall[1].gif

lol, no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Thumbs for both the text and the fit. But I agree with your assessment of the aggressive tapering.

thanks, clags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

What is the general rule on pant leg opening to foot size - 75% or 2/3? And is it of the foot's length or the shoe length? I don't know, but if you subscribe to that the tapering is a tad much, but everything else is immaculate.

i have no idea if there are rules or ratios on this, but i know for me that once the leg opening gets under 9 inches it starts to look off on me.
post #66726 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

I think that vest is tricky, because it's tweed, but also a pretty formal style - I'd love one in black worsted wool to go with my morning coat. You're maybe combining country and city there already, so perhaps a country colour shirt, like pale green, with a spread collar, might marry the whole thing. Or it could be a disaster, I'm really not sure. Just thinking out loud.

I agree the GMMcl's waistcoat is a tricky piece - a very formal form made up in a fairly casual material. I like the waistcoat a lot (on my "bucket list" is a three-piece suit with a double-breasted waistcoat), but for myself, I don't think that the combination as shown is working. I can see the waistcoat combined with a lighter colored sports jacket (a camel's hair blazer, for example), and darker trousers (something in the chocolate brown range. The blue shirt is fine, for my tastes, in terms of color, but I would either lose the tie entirely, or wear a non-buttondown shirt with a less bulky tie (an ancient madder might do well with this).

Just a set of suggestions - I hope that they might be of use.
post #66727 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


I agree the GMMcl's waistcoat is a tricky piece - a very formal form made up in a fairly casual material. I like the waistcoat a lot (on my "bucket list" is a three-piece suit with a double-breasted waistcoat), but for myself, I don't think that the combination as shown is working. I can see the waistcoat combined with a lighter colored sports jacket (a camel's hair blazer, for example), and darker trousers (something in the chocolate brown range. The blue shirt is fine, for my tastes, in terms of color, but I would either lose the tie entirely, or wear a non-buttondown shirt with a less bulky tie (an ancient madder might do well with this).

Just a set of suggestions - I hope that they might be of use.

You should stop by the Soho Suitsupply store. They have several flannel Lazio suits with double breasted vests. I own one myself, and it's one of my favorite suits! It might not be your ideal suit, but it wouldn't hurt taking a look for these kind of prices.

AppleMark

post #66728 of 78722
Thanks, guys.

The waistcoat (and yesterday's tweed SC) is enigmatic and therefore tricky. But that's part of what what I like most about them -- not just their uniqueness, but the challenge of working each into a harmonious fit, given the formal/informal tension inherent in the pieces themselves. I will keep playing with them.
post #66729 of 78722
It seems that some data are in order here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/373286/dark-versus-light-you-decide/

I'll post over in SW&D as well so that the responses aren't exclusively from the MC perspective.
post #66730 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Thanks, guys.

The waistcoat (and yesterday's tweed SC) is enigmatic and therefore tricky. But that's part of what what I like most about them -- not just their uniqueness, but the challenge of working each into a harmonious fit, given the formal/informal tension inherent in the pieces themselves. I will keep playing with them.

I fully respect your efforts to seek out, and tackle this challenge. And, if you're ever tired of that vest, I'll give it a good home.
post #66731 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

It seems that some data are in order here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/373286/dark-versus-light-you-decide/

I'll post over in SW&D as well so that the responses aren't exclusively from the MC perspective.

:stirpot:  I see what you did there.

post #66732 of 78722
Happy Wed Gents

fred121713s_zpse2487670.jpg
post #66733 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

kamakura. smile.gif

---

dear 38R,

please allow me to share a few thoughts on this mornings brouhaha. and to everyone else here, please indulge me with this dead horse beating post.

1. this is not a blog. its not a personal blog or a collective blog. yes, this thread is titled what are you wearing right now, not please critique my fit. however, as long as this thread had been in existence, and that is quite a long time, it has served as a place for people to post what they are wearing and receive feedback, good or bad and often a mix of both. this is not a thread to just post a fit and walk away expecting people to just look and think either i like that or i dont. its not a masturbatory picture thread for people to narcissistically post pictures of themselves, though we all do have a bit of narcissism in us. it is a thread to share and learn. everyone who posts a fit here knows that, or should know that.

2. you may very well have been at the menswear game for a long time, so long in fact that you know your style and do not care for critiques. thats fine. but you have been here for well over a year, and you are plenty active on the forum. there is no possible way that you do not know that your style is pretty much the anti-SF. even more so than AAS. i mean that in no derogatory way, but the style you aim for is quite clearly far outside the bounds of what SF approved or desired type style is. that is fine, you do you, but i cannot understand why any of the feedback you received would in any way be surprising to you. you have been here for long enough to know that the nature of this thread, whatever the title may be, is to post fits and get feedback, and to know that the style you shoot for, however deliberately, is very much not what the majority of SFers would consider to be good.

3. i have long struggled with this concept of how to take critique from someone i think dresses poorly. in the end, it appears to me that if the person is a complete and total train-wreck, i ignore it. if they have a pretty decent understanding of style but are prone to blunders now and then, then there is no reason in my opinion not to take their feedback at face value, regardless of any mistakes they might have made. no one (or very few) dresses perfectly, and there is plenty to learn even from people who may not be perfect in their dress themselves.

anyhow, those are the thoughts that i had after reading this mornings back and forth.

that being said, here is my fit. critique away. here is mine, the pants need a half inch of length and are probably too tapered for my build. some would say as well that for my build and large shoe size these shoes are too aggressive for me, especially with these pants. i do not entirely disagree. the rest i think is lovely. smile.gif









SUPER CLOSE UP FOR TEXTURAL VISUAL INTEREST!!! (Click to show)
Hope this helps S?
post #66734 of 78722

Your pose always reminds me of that old Maxell commercial.  I don't know why, maybe the chair, maybe the speaker. 

 

I may be showing my age a little.  Good combo tie/ps and suit!

 

post #66735 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred49 View Post


Hope this helps S?

I recently discovered SF emoticon as well

 

:deadhorse:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III