or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4348  

post #65206 of 78722

Can someone help me out here....I've been scrolling through pages and pages of fits lately and for the most part...the staple heads of this forum continue to deliver day in and day out. (Spoo, Stitches, Pliny, RogerP, Pingson, Kai, the list goes on)

 

What I need to understand is what is the true purpose of this thread. Men's Classicwear in my eyes (the eyes of a noob apparently) is to encompass the classic suit/tie wear that should be seen in professional corporate settings as well as the spin sartorial GODS can put on it (HF, Butler, etc.)

 

I don't know if many of you remember my first fit but I have lurked for months and months after that and haven't even started posting again even though I practice day and day encorporating some inspirational fitting ideas that I see here.

 

What bothers me is that it seems that slowly the thread is turning into any Joe Shmoe finding a suit that may have been laying around or thrifted without proper knowledge of what to buy and posting it here. This is by no means a jab at anyone but if the purpose is to show the fits that truly scream Classic Menswear, it seems that as of late, while we still do get the brilliance of many, there seems to be an ever growing population of people who now post without actually "learning." Take the time and watch others and don't think you can instantly adapt overnight because I would hate to see a forum that I have followed for years and to date only posted one fit (mind you somewhat ill fitting) go down the drain because every guy out there thinks he can don a suit without knowing WTF he's doing.

 

my 2¢

post #65207 of 78722
Second attempt of the vest!


post #65208 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Second attempt of the vest!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

very nicely done! btw great collar roll MF
post #65209 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by faribeana88 View Post
 

Can someone help me out here....I've been scrolling through pages and pages of fits lately and for the most part...the staple heads of this forum continue to deliver day in and day out. (Spoo, Stitches, Pliny, RogerP, Pingson, Kai, the list goes on)

 

What I need to understand is what is the true purpose of this thread. Men's Classicwear in my eyes (the eyes of a noob apparently) is to encompass the classic suit/tie wear that should be seen in professional corporate settings as well as the spin sartorial GODS can put on it (HF, Butler, etc.)

 

I don't know if many of you remember my first fit but I have lurked for months and months after that and haven't even started posting again even though I practice day and day encorporating some inspirational fitting ideas that I see here.

 

What bothers me is that it seems that slowly the thread is turning into any Joe Shmoe finding a suit that may have been laying around or thrifted without proper knowledge of what to buy and posting it here. This is by no means a jab at anyone but if the purpose is to show the fits that truly scream Classic Menswear, it seems that as of late, while we still do get the brilliance of many, there seems to be an ever growing population of people who now post without actually "learning." Take the time and watch others and don't think you can instantly adapt overnight because I would hate to see a forum that I have followed for years and to date only posted one fit (mind you somewhat ill fitting) go down the drain because every guy out there thinks he can don a suit without knowing WTF he's doing.

 

my 2¢

 

The point that I see is the regulars to give each other ideas on how to wear things and to take risks and have them critiqued.


Then for people like me it is to learn how to do this a little better. There's a HUGE difference in watching others do something and then doing it yourself. The advantage of having a few sets of knowledgeable eyes give you a once over constructively cannot be beat. While I might see something that stands out for someone else, I'm bad at doing it for myself. Hence my rationale for posting. You've got to start somewhere.


As for me, I'm probably not going to stop wearing khaki's and chino's because they fit my workplace, but I'll be damned if I don't start tossing out the ones that are just awful.

 

The culling has begun.

post #65210 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by faribeana88 View Post

What bothers me is that it seems that slowly the thread is turning into any Joe Shmoe finding a suit that may have been laying around or thrifted without proper knowledge of what to buy and posting it here. This is by no means a jab at anyone but if the purpose is to show the fits that truly scream Classic Menswear, it seems that as of late, while we still do get the brilliance of many, there seems to be an ever growing population of people who now post without actually "learning." Take the time and watch others and don't think you can instantly adapt overnight because I would hate to see a forum that I have followed for years and to date only posted one fit (mind you somewhat ill fitting) go down the drain because every guy out there thinks he can don a suit without knowing WTF he's doing.

I actually feel like the last week or so has been way above average.

Your point still stands, though. Generally, folks in this thread are, shall we say, not hesitant to point out flaws. So plenty of the negative reinforcement side. Unfortunately, there has been a lull of positive reinforcement--i.e. "dont do this, do THIS instead". Like I said, things have been much better for the last week or so, let's hope we keep getting strong fits.

People have to learn somewhere, and this is one of the better threads in which to do it.

Not to take this too far into another meta "what is the point of this thread" conversation...
post #65211 of 78722

Well I can definitely agree with you. Maybe its best suited to use myself as an example. Some may remember when I posted my first fit here (and for those of you who don't here is a teaser):

 

Warning: Awkward Beginnings (Click to show)
Photo 1 of 3

 

I wore boxy suits of the fused variety. The first thing I did was view some of the other threads here, mainly the ones dealing with staple garments to start a wardrobe and went from there.

Day in and day out, I would take photos of myself and then compare them to the greats here....if I wore a navy suit, I would look at posts of others who wore navy suits and received positive feedback. I admit I should probably post the pictures more because in some eyes, it gives people the chance to "critique" you but realize that if you consistently post fits that show marginal improvements at best, people will start to slowly stop commenting on your fits and you fall into that black hole where no one wants to go. If you take time, compare your fits to others and then post when you feel you have made strides that can again be critiqued it would do you much better. 

 

Using chronological stepping methods: If you start at 1. you don't want to post when you get to 1a. or 1b., post again when you've taken 1a - say 1m and gotten your improvements down and you post at 2. That gives and shows veteran posters that you've taken the knoweldge they've attempted to impart on you, studied it, soaked it in and come back showing that you did your homework. 

 

I'm not bashing you at all ridethecliche but when you post everyday and the finished product looks nearly identical to what you've been doing the past couple weeks, people either stop commenting as much or internally put you into a category for those who will not "ACTUALLY" take the advice and learn. Sometimes exercising restraint is the best way to improve.

post #65212 of 78722

But you are right aravenel! Constructive criticism is the way to go. My first post only stood as a "WHOA! I may be missing something, lets pump the brakes" 

 

Definitely not trying to put a dull moment on this thread because this thread has literally saved my life while working an 8-8:30 in the financial sector in NYC!!!

 

Hope everyone is learning and improving and I need to do less talking and more picture posting!

post #65213 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by faribeana88 View Post

I wore boxy suits of the fused variety. The first thing I did was view some of the other threads here, mainly the ones dealing with staple garments to start a wardrobe and went from there.
Day in and day out, I would take photos of myself and then compare them to the greats here....if I wore a navy suit, I would look at posts of others who wore navy suits and received positive feedback. I admit I should probably post the pictures more because in some eyes, it gives people the chance to "critique" you but realize that if you consistently post fits that show marginal improvements at best, people will start to slowly stop commenting on your fits and you fall into that black hole where no one wants to go. If you take time, compare your fits to others and then post when you feel you have made strides that can again be critiqued it would do you much better. 

And that's a great way to have done it. Kudos to you for taking the criticism well and doing what you can to improve yourself.

BTW, that's nowhere near the worst first fit-post in this thread.
post #65214 of 78722

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

coat- Belvest

tie- Polo RL

shirt- Canali

sweater- Marco Fiori

square- Robert Talbott

trouser- Incotex

shoes- Bally

post #65215 of 78722

Faribeana88 - I think of this thread as simply being an open opportunity to post what you're wearing that day. It can be used purely in that manner, or as an educational tool, or as an inspiration. I think it's big, broad & establised enough to enable all those possibilities, depending on the reader's needs.

 

However, having browsed SWD's "Best of WAYWRN" thread (thanks to the Styleforum Robot's linking to it recently), I'm thinking about starting a similar sort of thread for the CM WAYWRN. It would be fun to have a small capsule collection of truly great/inspirational fits, culled from WAYWRN, and updated semi-regularly.

 

It would be open to anyone to post into and opine, but obviously it would be anathema for them to post in their own fits, and I'd encourage posters to be ruthlessly selective about what fits from others they deem worthy of inclusion. Just because it's a very good fit, that doesn't mean it's great enough to post into a Best Of thread. Naturally, I wouldn't be able to delete substandard fits from the thread, but hopefully members would use some restraint in what they select. Peer pressure of this kind seems to work fine in SWD, anyway.

 

(This thread would be very different from the good taste thread in being more inclusive in the nature of fits - allowing directional or flamboyant stuff to be included - simply using some measure of perceived quality as a filtering. It would also be different from, say, vox's old digest, gdl's old fit of the day, or RJE's occasional best of threads - or indeed a tumblr/blog - in being more than one person's opinion of what's interesting. Finally, commentary of why you pick a fits to include would NOT be required or expected, so as to minimise the effort of contribution.)

 

To give it some life, I'd start such a thread off with a very small selection of fits I think are good enough from the month of November. What do people think of this idea? I'd only take the time to look back through all of November and make some selections if there's a general interest in having such a thread on the board. No point starting something that wouldn't have some life/contributions from a decent number of people.

post #65216 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by faribeana88 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Can someone help me out here....I've been scrolling through pages and pages of fits lately and for the most part...the staple heads of this forum continue to deliver day in and day out. (Spoo, Stitches, Pliny, RogerP, Pingson, Kai, the list goes on)

What I need to understand is what is the true purpose of this thread. Men's Classicwear in my eyes (the eyes of a noob apparently) is to encompass the classic suit/tie wear that should be seen in professional corporate settings as well as the spin sartorial GODS can put on it (HF, Butler, etc.)

I don't know if many of you remember my first fit but I have lurked for months and months after that and haven't even started posting again even though I practice day and day encorporating some inspirational fitting ideas that I see here.

What bothers me is that it seems that slowly the thread is turning into any Joe Shmoe finding a suit that may have been laying around or thrifted without proper knowledge of what to buy and posting it here. This is by no means a jab at anyone but if the purpose is to show the fits that truly scream Classic Menswear, it seems that as of late, while we still do get the brilliance of many, there seems to be an ever growing population of people who now post without actually "learning." Take the time and watch others and don't think you can instantly adapt overnight because I would hate to see a forum that I have followed for years and to date only posted one fit (mind you somewhat ill fitting) go down the drain because every guy out there thinks he can don a suit without knowing WTF he's doing.
my 2¢

This thread is simply called "What Are You Wearing Right Now", not "100% Perfecto Examples of Super Duper Everyone With A Pulse and a Johnson is Gonna Luv It Classic Menswear." Nor is it called "My name is Joe Shmoe and I want you to critique what I am wearing." It also is not "I am here to learn and will promise to post progressive pictures of my education if you promise to continue to teach, oh holy sartorial dressers you." Sure, the latter is they way it has sorta evolved, with critiques and ideas, like it or not. But not always. Plenty of people on here do not really partake in the daily banter. This is not an education-sponsored board, something run by the Parsons School of Design as a supplement to a bespoke tailoring class. So I really don't get what your beef is. You don't like that a dude wore chinos on week 1 AND again in Week 2 of his SF existence, despite a 20-post flogging? He's not learning fast enough? He's not learning at all? Gawd forbid. The humanity! Or, can he simply partake in the title of the thread, not the meme it has become. That is each poster's prerogative.

Look man, I don't mean to be a dik. But it just bugs me when people get fired up about how they make something to be in their minds and then try to project that picture onto something that is as broad and diverse as what this thread has become. Every person has a different reason for being here, and to try to bundle 65,000+ posts into one little box is just really a waste of time. Enjoy the thread for what it is, and do what you want to get what you want out of it.
Edited by CousinDonuts - 11/25/13 at 1:24pm
post #65217 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


"100% Perfecto Examples of Super Duper Everyone With A Pulse and a Johnson is Gonna Luv It Classic Menswear."

 

CD, start it up, 'cause dat title is gold:D 

post #65218 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

 

To give it some life, I'd start such a thread off with a very small selection of fits I think are good enough from the month of November. What do people think of this idea? I'd only take the time to look back through all of November and make some selections if there's a general interest in having such a thread on the board. No point starting something that wouldn't have some life/contributions from a decent number of people.

 Excellent idea! :thumbs-up:

post #65219 of 78722

Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

 

However, having browsed SWD's "Best of WAYWRN" thread (thanks to the Styleforum Robot's linking to it recently), I'm thinking about starting a similar sort of thread for the CM WAYWRN. It would be fun to have a small capsule collection of truly great/inspirational fits, culled from WAYWRN, and updated semi-regularly.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It would be open to anyone to post into and opine, but obviously it would be anathema for them to post in their own fits, and I'd encourage posters to be ruthlessly selective about what fits from others they deem worthy of inclusion. Just because it's a very good fit, that doesn't mean it's great enough to post into a Best Of thread. Naturally, I wouldn't be able to delete substandard fits from the thread, but hopefully members would use some restraint in what they select. Peer pressure of this kind seems to work fine in SWD, anyway.

 

(This thread would be very different from the good taste thread in being more inclusive in the nature of fits - allowing directional or flamboyant stuff to be included - simply using some measure of perceived quality as a filtering. It would also be different from, say, vox's old digest, gdl's old fit of the day, or RJE's occasional best of threads - or indeed a tumblr/blog - in being more than one person's opinion of what's interesting. Finally, commentary of why you pick a fits to include would NOT be required or expected, so as to minimise the effort of contribution.)

 

To give it some life, I'd start such a thread off with a very small selection of fits I think are good enough from the month of November. What do people think of this idea? I'd only take the time to look back through all of November and make some selections if there's a general interest in having such a thread on the board. No point starting something that wouldn't have some life/contributions from a decent number of people.

 

 

Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post

... "100% Perfecto Examples of Super Duper Everyone With A Pulse and a Johnson is Gonna Luv It Classic Menswear."...

 

Maybe I should use your title for the thread I'm thinking of starting? :D 

post #65220 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


This thread is simply called "What Are You Wearing Right Now", not "100% Perfecto Examples of Super Duper Everyone With A Pulse and a Johnson is Gonna Luv It Classic Menswear." Nor is it called "My name is Joe Shmoe and I want you to critique what I am wearing." It also is not "I am hear to learn and will promise to post progressive pictures of my education if you promise to continue to teach, oh holy sartorial dressers you." Sure, the latter is they way it has sorta evolved, with criteques and ideas, like it or not. But not always. Plenty of people on here do not really partake in the daily banter. This is not an education-sponsored board, something run by the Parsons School of Design as a supplement to a bespoke tailoring class. So I really don't get what your beef is. You don't like that a dude wore chinos on week 1 AND again in Week 2 of his SF existence, despite a 20-post flogging? He's not learning fast enough? He's not learning at all? Gawd forbid. The humanity! Or, can he simply partake in the title of the thread, not the meme it has become. That is each poster's prerogative.

Look man, I don't mean to be a dik. But it just bugs me when people get fired up about how they make something to be in their minds and then try to project that picture onto something that is as broad and diverse as what this thread has become. Every person has a different reason for being here, and to try to bundle 65,000+ posts into one little box is just really a waste of time. Enjoy the thread for what it is, and do what you want to get what you want out of it.

Point duly noted. My purpose wasn't to come across as "fired up" or getting you kind sir "butthurt" but simply asking as my post started, am I missing something or is the thread changing. If you were 100% in your latest explanation, if you scroll back a few hundred pages and read some of the responses that went through this thread such as "That's not CM!" or "if you're not going to learn, you might as well sit back and stop posting?!" 

 

Maybe you missed those and decided to chime in now but I do understand the point your getting at and I'm sorry if my words were misconstrued. I will take your advice and "Enjoy the thread for what it is, and do what I want to get what I want out of it" even if I have recently become slightly confused but I get you, definitely not the thread to ignite such meaningless banter.

 

but as a pointer, i would never include in a post that you "don't mean to be a dik" people who write that realize that what they are about to say or have said is dickish....don't worry you didn't offend me...i'm not forum thug or anything and I appreciate your pointed response.

 

My bad. :worship2: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III