Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:30 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4328post #64906 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:12pmpost #64907 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:20pmpost #64908 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:27pmpost #64909 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:31pmQuote:
Yes, of course, because that doesn't change how the proportions appear in the photo. The wearer could be 130 pounds or 230 pounds. Those lapels could be 3 inches or they could be 5. Proportionally, everything in steffenbp's fit looks good in my opinion.
It's silly to make absolute claims such as "x inch lapels are too skinny/wide" without accounting for the size of the jacket, and thus the wearer. Lots of RTW brands seem to have same-size lapels across a range of jacket sizes. So while 3.5" lapels might look fairly large on a size 38 jacket, they will look rather skinny on a size 46. I usually wear a 44, and so I find most lapels on RTW jackets slightly too slim for my taste. In my opinion, lapels should extend at least halfway to the shoulder seams. Ideally, slightly beyond that point.
I'm reminded of lapel proportions every time I see Chris Christie in the news, which is occurring on a frequent basis lately. He is a man of large stature, and could benefit from much larger lapels:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
These "normal" size lapels look awfully skinny on such a large frame. It's difficult to look good in a suit at his size, but those lapels aren't doing him any favors. Notice they extend only about a third of the way to the shoulder line, accentuating his corpulent appearance.
And just for kicks and giggles, here's an old pic of yours truly:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wanna take a guess at the size of my lapels here?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)They're 4.5". I beg to differ with the poster who said anything wider than 4 is a "pointless exageration."
Edited by Flyswatter - 11/20/13 at 7:54pmpost #64910 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:47pmpost #64911 of 7871711/20/13 at 7:56pmQuote:
I'm 6'3" and all I have are 1.75". It's all about personal preference people! There is no right/wrong answer....unless your 5'3" with 3" cuffs.post #64912 of 7871711/20/13 at 8:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
Worn for the Friday challenge, which requires fits to be monochrome.
Tie: Henry Carter
I like it, Clags. I think I am going to adopt your affiliate shout out policy. I think on any given day I wear something from at least three affiliates.post #64913 of 7871711/20/13 at 9:08pmQuote:
Don't they get enough publicity with their affiliate threads? The front page of MC often is choc a bloc with affiliate threads...
By all means do you what you like, however.post #64914 of 7871711/20/13 at 9:16pmI'd rather people in our community get our money. That most are affiliate vendors is moot to me, hence also shouting out to Hober, Wolf vs Goat, Panta, and Post-Imperial when they get worn.
There's nothing wrong with promoting companies you like owned by people you know.
As far as the front page goes: not all AV's get, or can afford, that kind of treatment.post #64915 of 7871711/20/13 at 9:16pmQuote:
I feel if you are happy with their service and products, why not mention them. After all, they are supporting the forum. Just my $.02...post #64916 of 7871711/21/13 at 12:01am
I am 5' 11" and find the two inch cuffs to be a delightful revelation for me. Maybe it's my enormous square head, or preference for much higher waistlines than the GQ-mangina trend, but the proportions make me very happy.
Today I am wearing a Post Imperial square, in all its ostentatiously-frayed glory, with a tie from Yellow Hook that is probably my favourite. I love those guys. I just wish they'd get on with making some more ties - they sell out too quick when I've spent all my money :)post #64917 of 7871711/21/13 at 1:09ampost #64918 of 7871711/21/13 at 1:50amQuote:Originally Posted by Pliny
Morning gentlemen- lotta win last few pages: Clags, CD, Spooky, Butch, AAS (nice jacket), Fred
Like the outfit, but not a fan of those socks with itpost #64919 of 7871711/21/13 at 2:15ampost #64920 of 7871711/21/13 at 2:39am
The lapels lie flush - it's just my holding the phone out in front of me making it bow slightly, especially in the second picture. Also, although I suppose a DB looks more formal automatically to some, the four-into-two (as opposed to six), contrasting mid-brown horn buttons and patch pockets were very deliberate choices to keep it a bit more relaxed - only the tiniest scrape of padding in the shoulders too for a more natural look. That and being an odd jacket, of course. Anyway, each to his own.
What makes you say the sleeves are too wide? It hadn't occurred to me, but I'm always happy to be enlightened...
Edited by mimo - 11/21/13 at 3:07am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Baller Tie Megathread Part Two! NWT Tom Ford Grenadine, Brioni... 57 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 1 minute ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...