or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4285  

post #64261 of 78722
It's always been called Remembrance (or Armistice) Day here.
post #64262 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

:crazy:

 

Just messing with ya, brah. 

post #64263 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

It's always been called Remembrance (or Armistice) Day here.

 

Yeah, commonwealth countries use the older term. It was changed to a day to honor all living veterans decades ago in the U.S.

post #64264 of 78722
Yep, same here. That's why it was changed to Remembrance Day from the older Armistice Day. We remember all veterans.
post #64265 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Just got this jacket delivered in the mail yesterday, and I'm trying it out today to determine if I need to alter it in any way. So far I'm pretty pleased with it, but comments are most welcome nod[1].gif

I thrifted the jacket from our own Dirnelli. It is bespoke by French tailors Cifonell and judging from the marking inside it was made in December 1984 - I find it pretty awesome to wear a jacket that it almost 30 years old.

Details (Click to show)


 Very nice piece that will last another 30 years (at least). Congratulations!

post #64266 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i just looks big in your body, its not flattering you at all.

i might get killed for this, but since you mentioned thrifting, just keep this in mind, its never worth settling. im not advocating breaking the bank, and i know everyone has their limitations, i sure have my own, but better to pay a little more and have less items but ones that are great items, and compliment you, than pay less and have more ok items. food for thought.

Stitchy's got it exactly right, and this is the advice you will get on the thrift thread, too. Almost 0% of my wardrobe (other than unmentionables) was bought retail (unless you count TJX as retail). To be sure, a few things are off by a half inch here or there, but I like to think my eye has improved to the point that I'm generally pretty close. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about what really fits (lurk here for good examples then emulate), and if you are buying only for yourself (as opposed to for trade/resale), save the money for the items that fit.
post #64267 of 78722
Mid-1930's Dinner Suit
Bespoke Blue-Grey Pure Beaver Fedora handmade in England.
Fire-Engine red silk pocket square in the "Astaire Fold"


post #64268 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Yep, same here. That's why it was changed to Remembrance Day from the older Armistice Day. We remember all veterans.

 

Interesting. I have a few British and Australian friends (New Zealand too, but who counts them?) and I know it is a big thing there. I see way more poppies on commonwealth folks that I do on Americans.

post #64269 of 78722
It's bad manners to wear a hat indoors and I'm sure the original wearer of that suit would have taken his off once he crossed the threshold.

@ Cliche - Stitchy is handing out some sound advice in his last couple of posts. You say you thrifted some of your threads? Take a look at Pingson's jacket and see how it is an almost perfect fit? THAT is how to thrift my friend!
post #64270 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Interesting. I have a few British and Australian friends (New Zealand too, but who counts them?) and I know it is a big thing there. I see way more poppies on commonwealth folks that I do on Americans.

The poppy appeal is centered on the British Legion, so I don't think many Americans really 'get' what it's all about. I wear mine for the first couple of weeks in November and often get asked what's going on with it.
post #64271 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post


The poppy appeal is centered on the British Legion, so I don't think many Americans really 'get' what it's all about. I wear mine for the first couple of weeks in November and often get asked what's going on with it.

 

Can you explain what this British Legion is, and why it has widespread appeal in the commonwealth? Most people in the U.S. know when Veterans Day is (stores use it as an excuse to throw sales), but I think few would associate the poppy with it. Which is unfortunate, because it is such a moving and meaningful symbol, once you know what it means.

post #64272 of 78722

AAS, I love that duffle jacket!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Stitchy's got it exactly right, and this is the advice you will get on the thrift thread, too. Almost 0% of my wardrobe (other than unmentionables) was bought retail (unless you count TJX as retail). To be sure, a few things are off by a half inch here or there, but I like to think my eye has improved to the point that I'm generally pretty close. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about what really fits (lurk here for good examples then emulate), and if you are buying only for yourself (as opposed to for trade/resale), save the money for the items that fit.

 

Yessir!

post #64273 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Yeah, commonwealth countries use the older term. It was changed to a day to honor all living veterans decades ago in the U.S.

Whatever you want to call it, just please don't tell veterans you can "imagine what they've been through". Someone asked me about Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday and then proceeded to tell me he could imagine how tough it was. I got a little angry and told him he could not ever f$@&! imagine it...I felt bad after...he didn't mean it that way. Anyways, I ate a bunch of free food all day so that was nice.
post #64274 of 78722
AAS, the tie and sweater are too close.
post #64275 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


Whatever you want to call it, just please don't tell veterans you can "imagine what they've been through". Someone asked me about Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday and then proceeded to tell me he could imagine how tough it was. I got a little angry and told him he could not ever f$@&! imagine it...I felt bad after...he didn't mean it that way. Anyways, I ate a bunch of free food all day so that was nice.

 

I feel you on that one, brother. However I gotta maintain that good ol military bearing, so to speak. Just always keep it in the back of your mind that these people genuinely do want the best for you, and other veterans. I know it gets hard when when you see how society nearly forgets the wars it asks it's young men and women to fight, but this is the price we pay when people are granted the freedom not to have to fight the wars that it's society embarks upon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III