Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4270post #64036 of 7872211/8/13 at 12:35pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #64037 of 7872211/8/13 at 12:38pmpost #64038 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:27pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
You might be right about the collar. In the first photo above, I can't tell if the jacket collar is a bit loose or if it's just the general badness of a point shirt collar.
But the second photo illustrates why very very few people qualify to wear a paddock. The gut-emphasizing qualities of the bottoned lower button mean that only men like David can wear one. He looked okay because the guy, like you I believe, weighed about 95 lbs soaking wet.
Agreed, but I've a general prejudice against point collars. Do you've the same opinion about double breasted coats?
Perhaps you did not mean to, but you touched a point related to Politics, so I presented one of the most basic authors so that you could educate yourself with a different and very well regarded point of view.
Nice outfit! The square is match-y, but you know this. Btw, is it really black and white or is the photograph off?post #64039 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:34pmpost #64040 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:46pmpost #64041 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:46pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Terrible photos but whatever, about the setting (CT Supreme Court). I is a lawyer today.
Suit: Saks Black Label w Zegna cloth
Shirt: Thomas Pink
Tie: Drakes for Ben Silver
Cuff links: no-name state seals off eBay (surprisingly nice)
Shoes: Barrie Ltd.post #64042 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:53pmpost #64043 of 7872211/8/13 at 1:55pm
For me, aesthetic success rises and falls with the lapel. Lapel width in relation to the wearers shoulder width, gorge angle, gorge height etc. ...
I actually quite like the jacket even though I would never consider wearing a paddock configuration myself, the only thing bothering me are the, as mentioned before, dated looking lapels.
And again as an animation:post #64044 of 7872211/8/13 at 2:44pmpost #64045 of 7872211/8/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
Ok. Part of it is the buttons were being a bitch so that's with the bottom button buttoned. Got it working later, but not evidenced in that photo. Also I'm never gonna wear the seemingly painted-on tight jackets that get some love.post #64046 of 7872211/8/13 at 3:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
My camera died halfway through shooting. These were the best shots I got. The pocket square is pink gingham.
full body. (Click to show)
I co-sign the posts praising your photo of yesterday. Not sure the tie colour fitted with everything else but it was still a good outfit. And as for toda - even though I'm royally tired of seeing you in Black Watch, this is the kind of outfit I was alluding to in my lambasting the other day. The jacket is a bold statement but when the background colours are subdued and there is no matchy matchy, it looks 100 times better than what you usually do, as Shoog suggested, looking like your clothes were picked by five different people. I don't flatter myself that with recent posts you were responding to me in particular, but it doesnt matter - if you continue in the direction of the last couple of days and limit your tartan to zero or one piece per day and continue with similar other elements as you will have elevated your style far above and beyond your established norms. Anyway, credit where credit's due - well done!post #64047 of 7872211/8/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
OK, let me be perfectly clear: You are not being held to any ridiculous standard. That does not fit by ANY standard. Look at how far off the shirt collar is from the jacket collar just for starters. I could take pot shots and try to be clever, but honestly-you look like a teenager borrowing his dad's suit for a date. You can get a lot of help on this board that will improve your professional appearance, but you really need to face the fact that if you made a public appearance in something so ill-fitting you are either completely ignorant of the most minute basics of tailoring or you don't give a damn about your professional appearance. I am guessing it is the former.post #64048 of 7872211/8/13 at 4:13pmpost #64049 of 7872211/8/13 at 4:54pmApparently some people think style equates to snob. I will try to be a gentleman about my comments. While the comments were harsh they hold some truths. The suit is nice but it doesn't properly fit you. Consider this a compliment. This suit gives you a heavier impression than reality. I too started off with some suits that were too big.
Here is the kicker I don't have the feminine body of some of our trendier posters, I am a big boy standing 6'2" and weigh in around 200 pounds. I could lift some of these guys with one arm. I hate the skinny pants trend and think they are too feminine for most men. That being said you would benefit from a trimmer cut. It would make you look more commanding. I avoid tight pants altogether which can be a challenge in today's fashion, but a bit trimmer would be more flattering.
If I were you I would look at a trimmer looking suit which will give you more height than width. If you have a belly perhaps a double breasted suit. Basically when you put on your jacket you want a little play but certainly not a lot. You ultimately want a look that has wider shoulders than your waist, which as a lawyer will once again give you more of a commanding presence.
I hope you take this advise in the right spirit. I would take your current jacket to a tailor to see if he/she could take it in.
Once again...just my two cents and perhaps it's worth only a penny.post #64050 of 7872211/8/13 at 5:04pm^^ As a 40l at 6'3" who tips the scales somewhere between 165-175lb I realize that there are things that are easy for me to wear and look good, and things that are difficult or impossible for me to look good in.
It's about playing the hand you've been dealt. To cast aspirations on someone for having a different body shape than you is being a jerk.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 57 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shoes darkened... J&M Suede & Nubic Protector 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...