or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4269

post #64021 of 75644
First time wearing this SC. The right sleeve needs to be let down a bit.

photo IMG_6846_zpscc62fbbd.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
photo IMG_6869_zps7e8eb273.jpg
photo IMG_6848_zps8cf1150e.jpg
Ralph Lauren script blue label -- USA made precursor to RLPL (cashmere)
J Press
Kiton
Balmain
Trafalgar
Vintage Kilgour
Panthy
Alden
post #64022 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Al View Post
 

In the navy. Comments please, if any.

 

I always think your suits/coats fit and look great, but I just don't like the matchy-matchyness of your tie/square/lapel items. Just my personal preference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

First time wearing this SC. The right sleeve needs to be let down a bit.
 

 

Great looking SC, GMMcL.

post #64023 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post
 

 

I always think your suits/coats fit and look great, but I just don't like the matchy-matchyness of your tie/square/lapel items. Just my personal preference.

 

 

 

Thank you CD.

post #64024 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

2. victor, you can beat the drum of that fit all month if you like, but you are not changing anyones mind. as free as you are to love it, everyone else is to hate it.

 

I'm completely fine with this. However, as you can express why you hate it, I can express why I like it. See the difference? I'm interested in what you've to say, not in what you feel. For example, RDiaz had the wrong definition of a Paddock coat in mind, then I explained to him what a Paddock coat really is and, while he still doesn't like my example, he got interested on a possible future commission trying to adapt the idea to his physique and I also got interested on the idea. No feeling hurts, he still does not like it, I respect his opinion. 

I'm not interested in winning an discussion, which, considering my character, would only mean that I've already lost only by wanting to win; I'm interested in new ideas, rehearsing mine own would be to no good to myself. And let me state, again, that I do not like that outfit.

post #64025 of 75644

for me, that jacket is too formal for jeans.  Throw a pair of more casual wool pants perhaps...if you want to keep it casual add nice loafers?  Just me though, never been a huge fan of dressier jackets and jeans.  It either looks like 90's, or like a professor at a cocktail party.

post #64026 of 75644

thats a great jacket, truly great.  Been looking for something like it, preferably in camel hair.

post #64027 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post
 

 

 For example, RDiaz had the wrong definition of a Paddock coat in mind

 

Hey, but I still think it's a hard 3 button without the lower button and a slightly lower stance!

post #64028 of 75644

The biggest point in the Paddock's odd button stance is to make both buttons fully functional, the top and the bottom buttons are positioned in an equal distance from the natural waist point (for example, 5cm above and 5cm bellow, using the 10cm standard spread). Buttoning the bottom button only will always result in a very low buttoning point, because, well, it's. Also, the lapels are supposed to roll to both buttons, so it's not a hard 3 with an odd button stance.

post #64029 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post

I'm completely fine with this. However, as you can express why you hate it, I can express why I like it. See the difference? I'm interested in what you've to say, not in what you feel. For example, RDiaz had the wrong definition of a Paddock coat in mind, then I explained to him what a Paddock coat really is and, while he still doesn't like my example, he got interested on a possible future commission trying to adapt the idea to his physique and I also got interested on the idea. No feeling hurts, he still does not like it, I respect his opinion. 
I'm not interested in winning an discussion, which, considering my character, would only mean that I've already lost only by wanting to win; I'm interested in new ideas, rehearsing mine own would be to no good to myself. And let me state, again, that I do not like that outfit.

i do not see the difference and im not trying to win anything.

what i have to say is how i feel. in this case i don't care about anyone explaining to me what is technically right about that jacket or that fit, because when i look at, and i have looked at it many times now, it continues to look horrific. if i were in the minority on that i might be more concerned, but i am not. so i feel confident that my grasp on the matter is both tight and on point.

anyhow, i am glad we are both fine with this. smile.gif
post #64030 of 75644

Just to clear some misunderstandings. 

There's a difference between saying that you hate it and saying why you hate it, or saying that something looks good and saying why it looks good. I don't care much for the first. I didn't try to imply that you're trying to win this discussion, I implied that you're wrong to believe that I'm. Also, you should read Socrates, being the majority does not imply merit to your cause, that's just a contemporary myth.

Anyway, I'm done, apparently nothing productive will come out from this again.

post #64031 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

JFK didn't generally wear paddock--he just buttoned the bottom button of regular two button jackets. I can't tell if the picture above is a regular two button or not though, but I imagine that if it is, that's why his gut is accentuated so much.

Bottom button looks too high to have been a regular 2button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Plus we all know that RDiaz has a six pack cut from granite.

I often wonder why he bothers to wear a shirt.
post #64032 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post

Just to clear some misunderstandings. 
There's a difference between saying that you hate it and saying why you hate it, or saying that something looks good and saying why it looks good. I don't care much for the first. I didn't try to imply that you're trying to win this discussion, I implied that you're wrong to believe that I'm. Also, you should read Socrates, being the majority does not imply merit to your cause, that's just a contemporary myth.
Anyway, I'm done, apparently nothing productive will come out from this again.

maybe so, but what i am saying is that all too often people explain and explain and explain, but it does not change the facts. that fit is no good (imo). there have been numerous posters who explained why, myself included.

so often there is this idea that gathering all the possible book knowledge in the world makes a big deal. its nice and instructive, but if it does not help you to look good, its useless. so to me, often saying something looks good or bad, is more important than why, from a simply aesthetic point of view, which is usually quite important.
Edited by in stitches - 11/8/13 at 12:07pm
post #64033 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post

Judging the collar from that photograph is objectively a mistake. The second is a result of not having front cuts and the way he's standing. I'm not seeing a problem with the lapels. Agreed, it's a hobbyist's coat. The coat is a reference to Windsor's coat bellow, but, yeah, I see where you're getting and I do agree with you on this one, though I get the feeling that he has no trouble pulling it off.






You might be right about the collar. In the first photo above, I can't tell if the jacket collar is a bit loose or if it's just the general badness of a point shirt collar.

But the second photo illustrates why very very few people qualify to wear a paddock. The gut-emphasizing qualities of the bottoned lower button mean that only men like David can wear one. He looked okay because the guy, like you I believe, weighed about 95 lbs soaking wet.
post #64034 of 75644
For the record I disagree with whatever Stitches is saying.
post #64035 of 75644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

For the record I disagree with whatever Stitches is saying.

lol no you dont.

read it again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III