Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4236post #63526 of 7872210/31/13 at 10:40am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #63527 of 7872210/31/13 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you why I don't like either of the two pics you've included in the spoilers above:
The first has a white linen square with a coloured border. I have one myself (red border); I almost never wear it. I find these squares a bit naff, to be honest. So that already marks it down. Beyond that I just don't like the scale of the windowpane in the suit; I prefer a slightly bigger scale one, like in Betelgeuse's suit from a page or two ago. Small windowpane suits are too "neither here nor there". Small difference, but enough for me.
As for the second look, I tend not to like non-solid grenadines and that looks suspiciously like one (and if it's one of those ties that's part-smooth/part-textured, I like it even less). More fundamentally, there isn't enough life in the look for me: the dark blue of the tie is too similar to suit, and the grey is also too low a contrast to it. Add in the pale blue shirt and it all feels a bit sleepy to me.
By contrast, the pic you showed today features a more interesting colour palette and some genuine interplay between suit/shirt/tie. It is engaging, without shouting, which I suspect is pretty much how you like your clothes to look from what you've said previously. I wouldn't call it innovative or brilliant, but it is genuinely good.
All the above is foetid mix of subjective prejudice and perhaps a dash of more objective colour commentary, so take or leave as you see fit. But it does explain my position.
Appreciate the explanation. Yes, I like to keep things simple and conservative while looking classy. Your explanation definitely gave me a good understanding. Now I have to go gather my thoughts.post #63528 of 7872210/31/13 at 10:46amFred - looking good,bro.Quote:Originally Posted by Rudals
Thank you. I literally had like 5 seconds to snap a pic and get back to the office. I am surprised that you'd call it my best yet. I really didn't put that much effort into it. But I'll take it!
And by the way, I forgot my PS so I used a paper napkin in that shot. No joke. Thank you all though.
not always about effort. sometimes over-thinking is the worst thing. in that fit there was good contrast and nice items. hence, win.
lol @ PS ingenuity.post #63529 of 7872210/31/13 at 11:05amQuote:
That and a cloth that simply is made to look like (as opposed to look and feel like) tweed. The one that Vox is wearing is from the Porter & Harding Glorious Twelfth book.post #63530 of 7872210/31/13 at 11:12ampost #63531 of 7872210/31/13 at 11:26ampost #63532 of 7872210/31/13 at 11:39ampost #63533 of 7872210/31/13 at 12:15pm
+1 on Seamaster's comment re ConradWu. Truly enjoying your fits.
Diaz - really like that jacket, whether it be tweed or faux tweed.
Like GMMcL, my tie is Halloween inspired. Sweater is navy, thinking I should have gone green:post #63534 of 7872210/31/13 at 12:18pmpost #63535 of 7872210/31/13 at 12:39pmQuote:
I approve this fit. I'm not sure I like it with the orange tie, but overall it's still good.post #63536 of 7872210/31/13 at 2:40pmpost #63537 of 7872210/31/13 at 2:55pmQuote:
You would.CD is, accidentally I'm sure, DTOing youpost #63538 of 7872210/31/13 at 3:20pmpost #63539 of 7872210/31/13 at 4:21pmWith every fit your'e looking more and more like some kind of charicature. I look at your pics each day and hope that THIS will be the day when you tone it down and really put together a great outfit, but instead I think youre going in the opposite direction. If matching a tie and pocket square is frowned upon by ... well, everyone, I'm not sure how you continue to get away with all this. The jacket is daring of course but looks good and fits well. Paired with those khakis and/or gray trousers and other more demure stuff it would be a striking but elegant focal point, but when it competes with hat, gloves, socks, etc. it's just waaaaay too much matchy matchy and mish mash. I'm confident that I'm far from being alone in thinking this, but I imagine you're not getting much critique any more because a) you've improved on the peewee Herman sizing recently and b) people just accept that this matchy-matchy bollocks is 'your thing'. So the question now is, are you here to find the sweet spot between your own personal style and yet still take on board criticism to improve, or do you think you just look maaahvellous every day in your daily Black Watch Supervillain costumes and can't resist sharing it all with us?
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 56 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 10 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 11 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 19 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 22 minutes ago
- › Rogue Territory: Handmade Denim Goods 22 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 23 minutes ago
- › Management consulting wardrobe 25 minutes ago
- › En Noir x Gap Moto Jeans. Sz. 29x32. 10/10 condition 52 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...