The Pratt/Shelby is my favourite knot. Although with this less than formal look, I suppose I could have caved to FIH peer pressure. ;)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 2/18/14 at 2:14am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4189
Styleforum Top Picks
This is just strange to me. Could someone explain?
Having another play with Yohji.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Olney Hat, Topman espadrilles
See, now I see this as an excellent example of how something can look good, and look good over a long period of time (as in I doubt he'll look back at this photograph and think "what the hell was I wearing") without being in the some traditional context.
I can't see any details, and it's a lot tougher to recognize the quality of construction of SW&D items based off a picture alone, but from the brand, I'm sure the construction is top notch. The clothes look comfortable, there is nothing frivolous or silly about them, they fit him well, the colors are great. It's a fantastic fit. This is the kind of fit that makes me glad I lurk that thread. Between all that goth-ninja silliness (which I appreciate in its own way), you have something as wonderful as this.
As far as the 130 thumbs, the lurkers on that thread are way more thumb happy then those here. A combination of them being younger, less uptight, and perhaps a bit more brand oriented (maybe a necessity given the difficulties in divining the quality of SW&D clothes based on pictures).
Edited by Claghorn - 10/23/13 at 11:09pm
So no fit is good fit? Look at the amount of excess fabric down below...
I could wear my grandpa's clothes (I am a 38-40 and he was a 42-44) and look like that. Comfortable yes. Classic summer combo yes. Great quality yes.
I wonder if the same amount of love had been given if no brand was mentioned?
I think I'm with you, Anden. There's nothing especially offensive about choosing to slob around in a loose untucked linen shirt, baggy trousers and slippers. I have to confess that about twenty years ago, my default hot weather leisure wear wasn't too different.
But that's why it's over there in the children's section. It's not classic menswear, it's some kind of hippy leisure wear...so should we care?
Baggy =/= no fit.
Look at the shoulder seams; perfect. Look at the shirt at the waist. Had it been any more narrow, it would look silly with the fullness of everything else. Wider, it would billow. The only nitpick could be the neck, which seems too small, but as I doubt that shirt was ever made to be worn with a tie (and the top button to be buttoned), I suspect that's just right as well.
Take away the brand, I bet you still have 100+ thumbs. Take away the name (as MoK is, I think, a well regarded fellow), I bet you still have 70+.
Edited by Claghorn - 10/23/13 at 11:08pm
Baggy =/= no fit.
Look at the shoulder seams; perfect. Look at the shirt at the waist. Had it been any more narrower, it would look silly with the fullness of everything else. Wider, it would billow. The only nitpick could be the neck, which seems too small, but as I doubt that shirt was ever made to be worn with a tie (and the top button to be buttoned), I suspect that's just right as well.
Take away the brand, I bet you still have 100+ thumbs. Take away the name (as MoK is, I think, I well regarded fellow), I bet you still have 70+.
Let´s leave it here. You have a few valid points.
Mimo, this makes you come across as a bit of a tit. Yohji Yamamoto, whose clothes Man of Kent is wearing in that fit is one of the most interesting designers around, he's no kid - and neither is MoK - and far more interesting (and funny) than you or any of us. He understands western tailoring with a depth than most people here wouldn't get either, and he's strongly influenced by aspects of it along with the deep history of Japanese clothing traditions, and modern fabric development. Being married to a Japanese woman an living out here a lot of the time, I get a bit tired of people's ignorance and narrow-mindedness. I believe you live in the Middle East which means you should at least get the fact that there are other traditions of dress around and they are not 'hippy leisure wear' if they aren't cut like they do it on Savile Row. You don't have to care, but if you really don't know or understand something, the best thing to do is either to ask a question (like Anden) or to take Wittgenstein's advice and keep quiet. There's a whole thread on his stuff over on SW&D if you do want to know what this is about next time this comes up (and no, it isn't the first time here).
You could also not take it so personally. I'm not making any reference to this designer, his skills or the quality of his work, let alone the irrelevant detail of his nationality. Merely noting that this is not within the realms of classic menswear as I understand it, and though we all wear flip flops and shorts on the beach, or even baggy pants for a stroll around the green fields, I'm not sure I care what constitutes "fashion" beyond the narrow walls of this CM thread. Nor am I impugning the character of this individual for his area of sartorial interest.
My characterisation of contemporary fashion as childish, or espadrilles as beloved of new age travellers, might be unreasonable. But this is just a forum, after all, where we all entertain ourselves. Reprising again my intolerant CM-only persona might indeed make me appear a "tit". To which I can only reply that insulting strangers on the internet isn't very elegant either.
P.S. But I still love you. Especially in tweed.
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Can anyone identify these sunglasses? 10 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 45 seconds ago
- › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › NIKE Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 5 minutes ago
- › NWT RLBL Drop 7 Single Breasted Suits Megathread,... 6 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 6 minutes ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 8 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw