Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:13 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4138post #62057 of 7871710/13/13 at 6:05amQuote:
Functionally? There is nothing better than tweed in cold, rainy, weather. I do wear tweed in the city if I happen to be wearing it that day, but I agree about tweed in the evening. I threw on a tweed jacket that I had been wearing in the daytime for dinner once. No one batted an eye, but I felt eerily out of place.post #62058 of 7871710/13/13 at 6:15amOriginally Posted by Dima Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is excellent. Perfectly appropriate for the context of a walk in a park.Originally Posted by Monkeyface
The PS had a little stage fright: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice suit. Difficult to tell from the photo, but putting this one together with the last one you showed us of it, I suspect that the waistcoat may benefit from a touch of tailoring to get it to fit a little closer through the waist.post #62059 of 7871710/13/13 at 6:50amQuote:Originally Posted by Caustic Man
Functionally? There is nothing better than tweed in cold, rainy, weather. I do wear tweed in the city if I happen to be wearing it that day, but I agree about tweed in the evening. I threw on a tweed jacket that I had been wearing in the daytime for dinner once. No one batted an eye, but I felt eerily out of place.
Functionally I think you'll find that polartec fleece and goretex trump tweed in cold rainy weather. Now if you want function paired with style you may have a case!post #62060 of 7871710/13/13 at 6:58amQuote:
Context bro, context. That polarfleece and goretex is not being considered is implicit. Or do we want to go down this road?post #62061 of 7871710/13/13 at 7:00ampost #62062 of 7871710/13/13 at 7:08amQuote:
Only joshin CM. but you'd be amazed how many people I know back home in England go looking for a 'decent winter coat' and splash out ridiculous piles of cash for what look like overpriced cagoules to me. Maybe the SW&D people are more into this but it baffles me the amount of money some people are happy to put down for extruded nylon!post #62063 of 7871710/13/13 at 7:10ampost #62064 of 7871710/13/13 at 7:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
This is excellent. Perfectly appropriate for the context of a walk in a park.
Nice suit. Difficult to tell from the photo, but putting this one together with the last one you showed us of it, I suspect that the waistcoat may benefit from a touch of tailoring to get it to fit a little closer through the waist.
I've had it tailored already, you can really see it when I'm not wearing the jacket.post #62065 of 7871710/13/13 at 8:32ampost #62066 of 7871710/13/13 at 9:31ampost #62067 of 7871710/13/13 at 10:52am
Got to say, I've really enjoyed some of the fits you've shown us over the past fortnight (not so much today's, but on average, they've been really good). I used to give little challenges to myself back when I used to do runs of night shifts, to alleviate the tedium, so I can relate to that aspect too.
Regarding the brief discussion upthread about the alleged impropriety of wearing tweed in the evening: I have to say this forum generates really odd ideas sometimes. Sure, if you're going to a fairly formal restaurant in a big city, then it's not the best choice. But there are many restaurants (including some very respected ones, even if we use the crude sledgehammer of the Michelin guide to judge these things) where it would not only be be entirely appropriate, but more appropriate to the setting than an evening out type of suit. They just happen not to be located in big city centres, but out in the countryside or in provincial towns. Go a further step down from that level to include the large swathe of regionally or locally respected gastropub type of restaurant, and it would certainly be much more appropriate to be in tweed rather than a dark flannel suit and satin tie and the like. You'd definitely be at the smarter end of the scale, but without being overdressed versus the ambience of the place.
Going out to dinner doesn't automatically generate a single level of required formality, even within the same food quality range or (in fact, even more imprecise) price range. The exact setting and desired ambience of the restaurant matter much more.
(this is all ignoring the more fundamental point that very few people - especially men - bother to dress smartly for dinner at all, even to places that it would be nice for them to do so. As we're on SF, it's a given that we're going to care enough to do so, so the issue of dressing appropriately to the context is more relevant).post #62068 of 7871710/13/13 at 11:22ampost #62069 of 7871710/13/13 at 12:34pmQuote:
FTFY, tweed hater! Well, everything depends on context of course.
What I wore to dinner last night:
Warning: details (Click to show)
Edited by EFV - 10/13/13 at 12:46pmpost #62070 of 7871710/13/13 at 12:43pm
Nicely said, Holdfast. I just don't think it is necessary/appropriate to wear a suit every time you go to eat after the sun has gone down.
As for AAS' particular outfit, I like it, but to immediately contradict my point above, I wonder if it would it have been more "acceptable" if the color palette was darker?
Always interesting to see how everyone balances the menswear "rules" in order to dress appropriately. Good stuff.
Also, Murlsquirl - that looks great!
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 18 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 18 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 24 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 38 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 43 minutes ago
- › Fox Brothers West of England Gunclub Check 2.5 metres 45 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 48 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli Tenero Sportcoat US38 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...