Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 4001post #60001 of 787229/16/13 at 8:26am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #60002 of 787229/16/13 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by rudals1281
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
All your ties would look better if you properly tied the knot. Below this notch this is clean. From the notch to your neck it is a mess. Tighten it up; single dimple.post #60003 of 787229/16/13 at 8:28amQuote:
not a bad idea. thanks. dont have one in OCBD, but have a stripe that is non BD that would do the trick i think.Quote:
thanks! its zegna. wool/cotton/angora blend. yes double vented.post #60004 of 787229/16/13 at 8:28amQuote:Originally Posted by Roy Al
@ Holdfast. Harvie & Hudson are, if for nothing else, known for their bold stripe shirts, and I picked the tie together with mr Harive sr. to go with that shirt. But as you say, it is supposed to be worn with a sharp british suit, and not a casual outfit as I had today.
H&H used to be my favorite shirtmaker, and this design particularly - and I have quite a few in blue, pink, red and yellow.
Still I understand those here who dislike the shirt; it is rather loud and can attract to much attention. That's the reason why I can only wear it on days that I can take that kind of looks...
I rather like it, though it does fall outside of the general aesthetic here (which really seems like a sort of ameritalian these days, but I could be wrong). I had a similar thought to HF, but this was mostly from watching Kingdom, Party Animals, and other British shows, so it seemed best to keep my mouth shut.post #60005 of 787229/16/13 at 9:09ampost #60006 of 787229/16/13 at 9:16am
Master-Classter: Thank you. The socks are absolutely the weak point of this rig, but they were clean, which made me forgive them a number of their sins.
stitches, here's my problem with that rig: the contrast is mostly in hue, not in saturation or lightness. There's just not enough contrast for me. To demonstrate, here's the pic in black and white. Tie and shirt look kind of muddy together. I would have been fine with a lighter blue shirt in this rig, though the right stripe would be amazing.post #60007 of 787229/16/13 at 9:16amQuote:
I am like a sloppy kid! Keep screwing up the knot again and again! I gotta get back to the basics. Can't even tie a four-in-hand knot properly. This is a joke.
Edited by rudals1281 - 9/16/13 at 9:47ampost #60008 of 787229/16/13 at 9:24amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
stitches, here's my problem with that rig: the contrast is mostly in hue, not in saturation or lightness. There's just not enough contrast for me. To demonstrate, here's the pic in black and white. Tie and shirt look kind of muddy together. I would have been fine with a lighter blue shirt in this rig, though the right stripe would be amazing.
Apparently someone else deals with color in cylindrical coordinates.post #60009 of 787229/16/13 at 9:25amQuote:
Spot on & exactly what I was getting at; the shirt/tie combo is good. It just needs the right conservative suit to set it off perfectly. As mktitsworth says later, these kind of somewhat leery English shirt combos are now a little outside the forum's preferences, but I think it definitely still has a place. Nice to see that kind of combo here.
stitchy - I actually quite like the colours in jacket/tie/shirt combination. It reminds me a little bit of some 80s Armani colour combinations, esp. the shirt/tie.post #60010 of 787229/16/13 at 9:32amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
stitches, here's my problem with that rig: the contrast is mostly in hue, not in saturation or lightness. There's just not enough contrast for me. To demonstrate, here's the pic in black and white. Tie and shirt look kind of muddy together. I would have been fine with a lighter blue shirt in this rig, though the right stripe would be amazing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
interesting. i personally have never been one for black and white, those transformations just dont do it for me. oh well. but i do agree the shirt and tie are not ideal. not because of teh gray scale, but because of how they actually look in their irl colors. still, i think its ok, certainly not bad, imo.
i tried a lighter blue btw, but it ended up looking almost exactly the same as the tie. instead of "muddy" it was very "matchey." ill try this again, exactly the same, but with a stripe. maybe in a week or so.
thanks!post #60011 of 787229/16/13 at 9:35ampost #60012 of 787229/16/13 at 9:43amQuote:
I actually just muddle through it (just starting to get serious about shooting color photos, after a few semesters of black-and-white), and had to use google to figure out how I could express what I meant.
stitches, I think part of the problem is that the tie is a very blue shade of green, which makes it tough to balance with another blue. Maybe a tattersall would help?post #60013 of 787229/16/13 at 9:45amQuote:
I find HSV/HSL to be a superior method of talking about color to RGB.post #60014 of 787229/16/13 at 9:58amQuote:
I tend to think of RGB as a subset of hue -- it's kind of a stretch to have a clear conversation about saturation or value in RGB terms. I'm lucky enough to be able to do most of my thinking about color in analog, intuitive terms (I do my digital work in Snapseed, because in Photoshop I look at the values on the sliders, not the image itself), so I can be kind of imprecise.post #60015 of 787229/16/13 at 10:04amQuote:
i agree completely. its is very pretty turquoise, with nice browns in it. i was not expecting this tie to be so hard to match with a shirt. i dont have any tattersall, nor do i really want any, but i think the lesson is that this tie really needs a shirt with pattern. ill try a stripe next time, maybe a check after that.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Suitsupply NYC 1 minute ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Burberry Trench Coat, colour? 15 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 21 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 30 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 35 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 40 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...