Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3902post #58516 of 787178/23/13 at 2:49amThanks! It's bespoke. Took them three jackets (that being the second) to really get what I wanted. The fourth--a tweed I posted earlier in the thread--is everything I could want in a fit. Both the third and the fourth have lower buttoning points (to the denizens of this thread who hassle me for my love of sternum hugging jackets).post #58517 of 787178/23/13 at 2:52ampost #58518 of 787178/23/13 at 3:37amx-post the Friday Challenge. Wanting to wear something that spoke of summer, but without resorting to seersucker or linen, I chose the ensemble below. The inclusion of a hat is the momentary inspiration from Don Cologne's posting.
Suit - BB Fitzgerald
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hermes
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
PS - no name brand
Shoes - C & J Maltons
Hat - Seifter Associates
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #58519 of 787178/23/13 at 4:23ampost #58520 of 787178/23/13 at 4:33ampost #58521 of 787178/23/13 at 4:39amCalifornia Tuxedo Friday. I can save you one piece of criticism right off the bat and say that the PS turned out too matchy for my taste - should have gone with another colour or just cream silk - but hindsight is 20/20...
Close-up etc: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edited by Pingson - 8/23/13 at 5:33ampost #58522 of 787178/23/13 at 4:39am
Nathan Lane, sorry, it's you DC, nice fit
Pingson- that's a great jacket- 2 great jackets really, and a fantastic tie- so subtle, so dry
Would appreciate opinions on which is better below?- with the blue linen, or same fit, brown escorial tie.
Cream poplin shirt, white linen PS
Lite Blue Linen- HoberWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edited by Pliny - 8/23/13 at 5:00ampost #58523 of 787178/23/13 at 5:06am
Great color combos, but I'm not convinced on the shirt. Looks decidedly business-y for a cool and relaxed summer outfit. Besides, all that glorious linen next to a crisp white shirt? Seems a little incoherent. Everything else though? Glorious!post #58524 of 787178/23/13 at 5:10ampost #58525 of 787178/23/13 at 5:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
From the summer fit challenge:
Sea foam blue linen jacket
Silk and linen pink tie
Cream tropical weight trousers
At first blush, I liked this fit and it will undoubtedly read as well-dressed to everyone you meet today. The square's colours & pattern are the perfect foil for the jacket in particular.
Having said that, there are things that task me, as Ahab or Khan would say...
- the tie is a little pale for the look, given the brightness of the jacket; something darker in the middle of your frame would probably centre the look better.
- like Ianiceman mentioned upthread, I really don't think wearing boots with this look makes any sense.
- but my biggest issue is with trousers which exhibit my personal bete noire with some summer weight items: visible pocket outlines due to the fabric being that sheer. I had to return a lightweight suit a while back because of exactly this problem. Once you see it, it's terribly irritating to know the problem's there. I bet the rear pockets also stand out in a similarly annoying way (esp. irritating to know they're visible if you take your jacket off; likely in hot weather!) and because the fabric's so gauzy, in bright sunshine, beware people being able to tell what you're wearing underneath or creating a young Diana effect!post #58526 of 787178/23/13 at 5:19amQuote:I actually don't care all that much. More of just a "that's what I've always purchased" sort of thing. Not a huge fan of Aldens; I suspect my next shoe will be Carmina, though only because I have all the AE's I'd be interested in. I'm not a shoe guy, clearly.Quote:Ah, so thanks for letting me know so I can see it and be irritated ^_^
Fortunately, I'm a bit of an exhibitionist. I have no problem with people knowing I prefer light blue boxer briefs. However, should it ever be an issue, I can always have some cotton lining sewn in (I hope).
As far as the boots...I figured nobody would notice I'm wearing boots walking around. The cognac looked so nice against the cream I couldn't resist. It is probably a crime that will be committed again
@cm: Agreed about the shirt. Next time this outfit gets worn, I'll use my oxford spread collar. I don't want to wear the tie with a patterned shirt for fear of detracting from the tie's texture.
Edited by Claghorn - 8/23/13 at 5:36ampost #58527 of 787178/23/13 at 5:26am
Re Claghorns outfit: Please clarify for me?
Is it that you do not like the tie and recommend he choose another one to wear with this outfit?
Is it that you like the tie but think he should not be wearing a tie with his outfit.?post #58528 of 787178/23/13 at 5:31amQuote:
I love that Vanda tieQuote:
I don't like the blue tie - too light. Brown is better from a distance, but I don't like it as much in the close-up photo where the different shades of brown of the tie and SC, IMHO, clash. A a darker blue might actually be the best option.post #58529 of 787178/23/13 at 5:48amQuote:
I know rite? I find lite ties tricky too. The escorial has a nice hand..Quote:Originally Posted by Pingson
I love that Vanda tie :inlove:u
I don't like the blue tie - too light. Brown is better from a distance, but I don't like it as much in the close-up photo where the different shades of brown of the tie and SC, IMHO, clash. A a darker blue might actually be the best option.
I agree about the lite blue. Maybe with a fawn linen SC then.
the Vanda doesnt present so well in pics i find but dammit its a nice tie
Clagsi see HFs point but generally your hitting it outta the park evry fit
Of course if u raise the camera a foot or so those sternum-hugging issues will fade away..post #58530 of 787178/23/13 at 6:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
- but my biggest issue is with trousers which exhibit my personal bete noire with some summer weight items: visible pocket outlines due to the fabric being that sheer. I had to return a lightweight suit a while back because of exactly this problem. Once you see it, it's terribly irritating to know the problem's there. I bet the rear pockets also stand out in a similarly annoying way (esp. irritating to know they're visible if you take your jacket off; likely in hot weather!) and because the fabric's so gauzy, in bright sunshine, beware people being able to tell what you're wearing underneath or creating a young Diana effect!
I've just decided if this is going to happen, it's going to happen. I'm wearing the lightest weight and color I can in summers. I have these pants and am wearing them. I see the issue and just let it happen. Like wrinkles in linen.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 13 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 15 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 20 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 50 minutes ago
- › REGAL Shoes Japan - Burnished Brown Dress Shoes - Japan 25 / US 7.5 53 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: THE VILLAIN (24 March 2017) 1 hour, 34 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...