Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:52 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3881
Styleforum Top Pickspost #58202 of 787218/20/13 at 7:22amQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Cool jacket and cool collar. However, with this serious roping and fishmouth notch of the jacket, the button down shirt doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic. I feel like the strong features of the jacket needs an equally strong cutaway shirt to pair.post #58203 of 787218/20/13 at 7:36am
I kinda see your point. The button down collar is in fact meant to relax the look a little - it all looked too serious with a cutaway collar. The roping is a bit strong indeed, but the only reason for choosing it was to flatter my physique... so if I want to make things look less imposing with this jacket I have to resort to things like the button down collar, knit ties, etc.post #58204 of 787218/20/13 at 7:36ampost #58205 of 787218/20/13 at 7:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Second look is much, much better... if the suit was the charcoal grey it appears to be in the photo. I'm guessing from your prior posts that it's actually navy, in which case I'm less keen, unless it's an extremely dark navy (verging on black), in which case it's good.
Are you folding silk squares? It looks like it. Don't. Use linen/cotton if you want to fold, or puff if it's silk. Some silk blends may (may!) be able to take a fold; most cannot.
That suit actually is blue...the lighting made distorted its color. I am wearing it today with a dark navy suit so it is good. Yes, I don't know why I still stick with silk. I've switched to TV fold but still, I'll try linen. Wow, no love for sky blue ties here LOLpost #58206 of 787218/20/13 at 7:39amQuote:
Thanks! The fit of the jacket isn't actually that great but for a casual jacket like seersucker, it's tolerable. Ideally, it'd be a bit narrower across the chest and ever so slightly shorter. But it is what it is. Which, since you asked, is RTW Ralph Lauren Polo. :)post #58207 of 787218/20/13 at 7:43am
Oh, then I think I have tried on that very same jacket model. Unfortunately it was only available in regular length and the 42R was waaaay too long. Very nice silhouette though, and I think the extra chest room is nicely distributed, it doesn't look ill-fitting on you.post #58208 of 787218/20/13 at 7:48amQuote:
Thank you; that's why I still keep it! It's an unusual size (37S) and was a much better fit when I first bought it years ago (I'm a 36S these days). I was lucky and found it in an outlet, going for a song, so couldn't resist. I never thought I'd wear it more than once or twice ever, but once you get over the fact you're wearing seersucker in England, it's versatile enough to trot out several times or more a year. Of course, I hardly need to sing seersucker's praises to you of all people!
BTW, thanks for all the thumbs-ups in such a short space of time; much appreciated!post #58209 of 787218/20/13 at 7:51ampost #58210 of 787218/20/13 at 8:04amQuote:
Thank you, so I am getting half way there! The critique on collar fit is helpful, I see what you mean now. I think I got the shoulder width right but something needs to be done about the collar. Any suggestions to tell my tailor? My shirt collar should probably be .5" less also. And yes, the trousers seem to flair from knee up (like a subtle jodhpur). I can't seem to get a smooth line from bottom of rise to knee. I have to get my trousers on point, a lot of sad fits in that department!post #58211 of 787218/20/13 at 8:17ampost #58212 of 787218/20/13 at 8:24ampost #58213 of 787218/20/13 at 8:28amOriginally Posted by Murlsquirl
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tie doesn't work IMO; it's the wrong shade of blue. Either go much darker blue, or go for a different colour (maybe dark brown, given the other colours in the look?).Originally Posted by McBindle
Thank you, so I am getting half way there! The critique on collar fit is helpful, I see what you mean now. I think I got the shoulder width right but something needs to be done about the collar. Any suggestions to tell my tailor?
I usually just point out any areas I don't like to my tailor and they start pinning/marking things. Actually, they usually spot the problems before I point them out. So I can't really say what needs to be done or whether it can be fixed. But take the jacket to a decent tailor and they'll notice it for themselves and make their own recommendations (even if to say it can't be fixed). While I'm always interested in learning how they fix things, I don't like telling them how to fix them. Largely because I don't know how.post #58214 of 787218/20/13 at 8:32amWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
Doing the "security guard" look, with a slight professorial tinge to it.
Blazer, shirt, trousers, tie - BB
PS - Alain Figaret
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
upr_crust - These shoes are fantastic. A relaxed take on the security guard motif. Some may have an issue with the white shirt but I think it is consistent with your overall style. The bow tie does a good job of framing your face and compliments the casual vibe created by the shoes.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Claghorn - These two fits look very comfortable. The second is a nice iteration of the blue odd jacket. The second fit also has nice balance of grey and blue tone - neither is oversaturated compared to the other. My favorite characteristic of these two is the roll on lapels and the figure eight of lapel and quarters on the grey suit.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
Not what I wore today--nowhere near tweed weather even if I am mostly just carrying around my jacket--but I just got this from the tailor and I'm finally perfectly happy with the pattern. Buttoning point high but not too high (by my standards). Not too much waist suppression. I barely gave them enough fabric to work with, but overall, I'm damned pleased.
Claghorn - These two fits look very comfortable. The second is a nice iteration of the blue odd jacket. The second fit also has nice balance of grey and blue tone - neither is oversaturated compared to the other. My favorite characteristic of these two is the roll on lapels and the figure eight of lapel and quarters on the grey suit.
EFV - Very nice! Are those patch pockets? Height of collar is well done and the spread of shirt collar to lapel and the harmony to the notch height is nice. I'm with mrjester on the square (maybe something with a powder blue in it?) but still works.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Murlsquirl - You made a good call on the plain toe derbys. More embellishment may have overwhelmed the overall excellent pattern play. The shirt is really bold so a bold shoe would have been too much for the eye to focus on.post #58215 of 787218/20/13 at 8:35am
You don't like it at all or just in this context? I like it, but can agree that it would perhaps work better with something else.Quote:
Indeedo, I found a barber that actually listened to my instructions.
Cheers, that quite the compliment! Suit is from Luigi Bianchi.Quote:
Thank you HF! I have the same notion about certain items that look really awesome imho, but not on me (e.g. penny loafers, fedoras etc etc)Quote:
Thank you! Yep, patch pockets. As i started thinking about it I think something that caught more of the colours in the rest of the fit would have worked better. This square will be worn with more monochrome (grey-ish) fits in the future. I just felt like wearing that PS today though (the danger of new acquisitions, you wanna wear them with everything).
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Help Please for a bespoke Dinner Jacket (tuxedo) 9 minutes ago
- › Hugo Boss - Grand/Central Dark Navy Suit - 38R 9 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 11 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › SamuelSohn Classic Fit 2-Button Blue Check Performance Wool Blazer... 12 minutes ago
- › NWOT Moncler Gamme Bleu Down Vest Size 4 12 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...