PS AND burgundy shoes?! Are you trying to give people a heart attack?!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3851post #57751 of 787178/15/13 at 7:57ampost #57752 of 787178/15/13 at 7:59ampost #57753 of 787178/15/13 at 8:00ampost #57754 of 787178/15/13 at 8:00ampost #57755 of 787178/15/13 at 8:02ampost #57756 of 787178/15/13 at 8:08ampost #57757 of 787178/15/13 at 8:09amQuote:Originally Posted by CrimsonSox
+10. An enlightening though distressing exercise is to total the amount of money we've spent on clothes that we ended up disliking over the past decade, while thinking of all of the beautiful items we could have bought with that money today.
Three more reasons to accumulate a wardrobe slowly:
1. Fashions change. The short jacket and low-rise pants from the store this year will one day go to the back of the closet, to sit with the low gorge double-breasted suit from the 80s.
2. Sizes change. The consequence of missing sleep from years of work and raising children will be an expanded waistline.
3. Tastes change, hopefully for the better. As we gather experience dressing, reading books, and seeing elegant outfits, our tastes become more informed. We gradually develop a deeper understanding of what fits us, what complements our appearance, and what qualifies as enduring style instead of a passing fad.
I agree that one should acquire a wardrobe slowly and over time. Nothing good will come out of buying a ton of stuff too quickly, like stitch said you will end up selling for a loss or just donating things.
However, your first 2 points don't make any sense to me. Fashions change obviously, but that shouldn't stop you from buying something that you like now, as long as it is more of a "classic, timeless" (I know, these can be bad words around here sometimes) piece...meaning things like light blue shirts, grey suit, navy blazer, brown captoes, as long as they are not too aggressively styled. I'm guessing that's the point you were trying to make.
But #2, sizes change? Why would you ever decide not to buy something now because you might have a bigger waistline in the future? If that were the case, nobody would ever buy anything for fear that they will get fat and it won't fit anymore. Buy stuff that fits now, and if you gain weight, suck it up and buy some new stuff...or lose the weight so you can fit into the nice clothes you already have.post #57758 of 787178/15/13 at 8:09ampost #57759 of 787178/15/13 at 8:14ampost #57760 of 787178/15/13 at 8:17amOk, first time posting here with being a member of only a few days. Within these few days I think I'm learning a lot. But I'm working with what I already have, but, have already started making purchases. This is not a new purchase. And not of high brand/cost.
Geofrey Beene shirt
Cheap cuffs my wife picked up somewhere
TM Lewin tie
GH Bass shoes
Comfortable suit...post #57761 of 787178/15/13 at 8:18am
Jacket, waistcoat & trousers - MTM, Thomas Mahon/English cut.
Shirt - MTM, Turnbull & Asser.
Tie - Dehaviland.
PS - Turnbull & Asser.
Shoes - AE, Strand.
Since it's not quite winter yet, I dropped the waistcoat after lunch.
I'm not happy with the trousers, and have returned them to Tom for alternation once. Still not satisfied. To baggy, and the rise feels wrong. Any suggestions how to fix them?post #57762 of 787178/15/13 at 8:21ampost #57763 of 787178/15/13 at 8:24ampost #57764 of 787178/15/13 at 8:27ampost #57765 of 787178/15/13 at 8:38am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 8 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 3 minutes ago
- › Brand new in box authentic Edward Green briefcase 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...