Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 4:55 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest?Last edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3533
Styleforum Top Pickspost #52982 of 787216/14/13 at 1:23pmpost #52983 of 787216/14/13 at 1:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by EliodA
My last post on here for a while (four times in a week is too much anyway). Off to Bali for beach & surf, I don't think anything I'll be wearing there will be appropriate for this thread...
I think this looks pretty good, but the light brown shoes distract from the dark and conservative nature of the rest of the fit.post #52984 of 787216/14/13 at 1:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
^^ Nice Eliod and Crusty. Eliod - love the shoes.
AAS, these aren't in your budget, but you'd be buying from the SF Community and I think they're good value for $400 or so:
Contact SF Mmber "HandMadeShoes" aka Justin, via his blog.
Those are cool, but I prefer these. They're also $400.post #52985 of 787216/14/13 at 1:34pmQuote:
I like this jacket and pant combo. I think the shirt is what is holding it back. A white shirt would blend better with the jacket and pants and cause the tie to stand out more, providing the necessary contrast.post #52986 of 787216/14/13 at 1:50pmQuote:
thanks, AAS. interesting perspective. i think the risk there is all the light gray together with the white ending up looking very washed out.
also, i am under threat of death from gdl if i ever wear an odd jacket with a white shirt again.post #52987 of 787216/14/13 at 1:54pm
Sometimes you guys say things and I have no idea what you're talking about. First, this whole notion about navy blue odd pants not being awesome is dumbfounding to me. I wear navy blue pants all the time and think they're amazing. I'd love to see some pictures where they don't work. Just like a navy blue blazer is a classic jacket, I see navy blue pants as being just as classic. Second, what is all this business about grey sport coats being wack. Again, I'd love to see a fail there as well. Pairing a grey SC with grey slacks is silly, because the colors are too close. Navy, beige and/or cream pants to name a few works well IMO. If I get a minute I'll find some pics. Ya'll crazy.post #52988 of 787216/14/13 at 1:55pmpost #52989 of 787216/14/13 at 2:17pm
Better than your last attempt with that jacket, but not there yet. Honestly, I'm not optimistic about that jacket as I can't think of any good combinations with it which is quite sad, because the rest of the fit is quite good, exchange that jacket with a mid brown one and you're there.
The one lesson here is to not buy a "medium" gray SJ, especially one with no texture interest.post #52990 of 787216/14/13 at 2:22pmQuote:
Okay, no texture-less gray SCs is something I can get behind. As aravenel says, the no-gray sportcoat rule fails the "gray herringbone tweed is awesome and goes with errythang" test.
Stitches, have you tried that coat with dark gray trousers? I could also see tan, brown, or even cream gabs working here.post #52991 of 787216/14/13 at 2:39pm
SF surely gets all worked up about grey odd jackets, and I don't see why, they're honestly not that hard to pull off in real life. Sure, a navy jacket might be easier, but sometimes people want some variety in their wardrobe. It would be really boring if we'd all be wearing navy odd jackets with mid grey trousers.post #52992 of 787216/14/13 at 2:42pmThe trouser pairing is only part of it--a great number of grey SCs look like orphan suit coats. There are far fewer workable SC patterns in grey IMO.
Really, aside from the blue blazer, brown is where it's at for SCs IMO. You're going casual already, go all the way.post #52993 of 787216/14/13 at 2:49pmQuote:
As long as you make sure the grey SC has some texture, an interesting pattern or is made of a fabric not typically used for suits you'll be fine. Brown jackets certainly look great, but it can be harder to pull off for younger guys like myself, as it's not a typical color for people my age.post #52994 of 787216/14/13 at 2:58pmpost #52995 of 787216/14/13 at 3:11pmBUT GREEN PANTS ARE TOTALLY COOL!!Quote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
Sometimes you guys say things and I have no idea what you're talking about. First, this whole notion about navy blue odd pants not being awesome is dumbfounding to me. I wear navy blue pants all the time and think they're amazing. I'd love to see some pictures where they don't work. Just like a navy blue blazer is a classic jacket, I see navy blue pants as being just as classic. Second, what is all this business about grey sport coats being wack. Again, I'd love to see a fail there as well. Pairing a grey SC with grey slacks is silly, because the colors are too close. Navy, beige and/or cream pants to name a few works well IMO. If I get a minute I'll find some pics. Ya'll crazy.
there is much craziness on SF. absolutes are too easily thrown about. as the discussion furthers, we can see that most agree there are applications for both, its just a metter of honing in on what they are.Quote:
i have! been a while since i wore it though. next outing will be with darker gray, dont have any appropriate brown pants for this atm.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Are these shoes shell cordovan? 2 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 48 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › BRAND NEW COMMON PROJECTS ACHILLES ORIGINAL LOW White Leather 44 EU 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan