or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3521  

post #52801 of 78722

Has its place. Just not in this thread.  But I fear you might also like chambray.  Never mind, as long as you're prepared to cross the floor from time to time to oppose cargo pants in semi-formal contexts.

post #52802 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

We need something to disagree on then: ankles.


 I put on a pair of black loafers last night to see how they'd look with a pair of trousers I just bought.

 

 I didn't like the look but maybe a pair of brown ones I'm getting will look better.

 

 I like denim though. I wore a pair with an off-white linen jacket Saturday night and the ladies dug it. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif biggrin.gif

post #52803 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The sun is supposed to remain out all day - hence the fair-weather attire. Speaking of hats, as above, the hat is new - a Christy's from Thomas Farthing, a little shop in Museum St., just steps from the British Museum.

Suit & shirt - BB
Tie - no name brand, from the now-defunct discounter Daffy's
Shoes - Tyrwhitt
Hat - Christy's










Getting an early start on this week's challenge?

I'm not sure about the shoes with this suit, Señor Crust. Two great tastes, but I'm thinking they don't taste great together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

*thinking of forming a political party with Roger, Pingson and PB*
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

We need something to disagree on then: ankles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The first purge begins...

I'm in. But then I can't live with your coloured shoe laces, so I guess I am out again smack.gif

Big tent or ideological purity? Tough decisions to be made...

Reminds me of the fractionisation one usually observes among the small groups at the extreme ends of (both sides of) the political spectrum. There ideology always trumps everything else....
post #52804 of 78722
I don't like denim, or loafers. WTF is wrong with you people?
post #52805 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't like denim, or loafers. WTF is wrong with you people?

Case in point....
post #52806 of 78722
@tie sans jacket

I'll stand by my previous statement: if your shirt has been tailored for you, your tie is of high quality, belt of high quality, and shoes of high quality, nobody is mistaking you for a cellphone or car salesmen. I guess I might be skewed in this since I live in a country where the majority of cellphone salesmen wear suits.

I think rolling up the sleeves with such a look is essential; it signals that you haven't simply left your jacket on the back of your chair. I think it also provides a bit of framing aesthetically. And if it isn't so hot as to appreciate the rolled up sleeves...wear a damned jacket.
post #52807 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post


The first sentence of yours which I quote, and the fact that you used the "f-word" (which I refuse to quote) in the later sentences of your posting prompt me to dismiss your opinion with impatience.

A jacket and no tie is sloppy and unfinished, not casual at all. The look was virtually unknown in the UK before the 1990s, and during my formative years with respect to style (the late 1950s - the "Ivy League" period in the USA) - was considered the height, or rather the depth, of bad taste.
A tie with a long-sleeved shirt and belted, flat-fronted cotton trousers without turn-ups is perfectly good summer wear for when a suit is not necessary. The reluctance of many posters on this forum to shed the jacket in very warm weather (and on your side of the Atlantic the summers are much hotter than in these islands) I find incomprehensible.


HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

post #52808 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Getting an early start on this week's challenge?

I'm not sure about the shoes with this suit, Señor Crust. Two great tastes, but I'm thinking they don't taste great together.

I believe that you may be right in this matter, Mister Butch - I'm not entirely loving the suit/shoe combo myself, now that I'm wearing it. Ah, well, back to the drawing board . . .
post #52809 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The sun is supposed to remain out all day - hence the fair-weather attire. Speaking of hats, as above, the hat is new - a Christy's from Thomas Farthing, a little shop in Museum St., just steps from the British Museum.

Suit & shirt - BB
Tie - no name brand, from the now-defunct discounter Daffy's
Shoes - Tyrwhitt
Hat - Christy's










Getting an early start on this week's challenge?

I'm not sure about the shoes with this suit, Señor Crust. Two great tastes, but I'm thinking they don't taste great together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

*thinking of forming a political party with Roger, Pingson and PB*
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

We need something to disagree on then: ankles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The first purge begins...

I'm in. But then I can't live with your coloured shoe laces, so I guess I am out again smack.gif

Big tent or ideological purity? Tough decisions to be made...

Reminds me of the fractionisation one usually observes among the small groups at the extreme ends of (both sides of) the political spectrum. There ideology always trumps everything else....

The narcissism of small of differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Getting an early start on this week's challenge?

I'm not sure about the shoes with this suit, Señor Crust. Two great tastes, but I'm thinking they don't taste great together.

I believe that you may be right in this matter, Mister Butch - I'm not entirely loving the suit/shoe combo myself, now that I'm wearing it. Ah, well, back to the drawing board . . .

We live. We learn. smile.gif
post #52810 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

The narcissism of small of differences.

 

Isn't that StyleForum's motto? biggrin.gif

post #52811 of 78722
EliodA - great looking suit. any reason you went without cuffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Tie and no jacket reminds me of a cell phone salesperson. It is certainly accepted as a part of business casual in America, but it is a bad look. I think it is so rampant because it is cheap and easy like most common style affectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

This. Cell phone salesman or little boy whose mommy made him "dress up" for school picture day.

while i agree to this for the VAST majority of cases, there are times where a suit with no tie can be done well. parker has accomplished this a few time iirc.
post #52812 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

EliodA - great looking suit. any reason you went without cuffs?
 

 

Thanks! The reason for the cuffless trousers is that when I purchased that suit, I still believed the nonsense that short people (i'm 171cm, you do the mathwink.gif) shouldn't wear cuffs. Now I know better, of course...

 

Edit: spelling errors

post #52813 of 78722
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AppleMark

 

 

Would really like this combo if it were a full suit, not just a jacket.

 

Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Piped brim panama + seersucker suit = all good fun. Adding in the fancy spectators & the bright bow tie as well... just a bit too ebullient for me I think. A darker bow tie with non-spec wingtips and I think would come over more smoothly. Either that or a navy long necktie with those fancy spec.

 

 

 

 

No chance of anything remotely approximating summer clothing here; overcast & drizzly weather rules instead:

 

2uHxced.jpg?1

post #52814 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

Yikes! eek.gif


Well I do have a jacket... which I wasn't wearing at the time (in the office).

(quietly closes newly opened account).

Now now, no need to do that. Mimo's comments were perhaps a little harsh sounding, but his comments are nevertheless valid. If you have a jacket nearby, just remember to wear it next time.

Also, you need thick skin if you're posting fits in here. I have certainly become more thick-skinned over the last year or so that I have been hanging out here (hopefully my fits have also improved at a somewhat similar rate) nod[1].gif

Thanks, I shall do that. Probably wasn't the best example to post with, I don't often wear that combo (or that tie). I came here really to get ideas, rather than to show off my own stuff. When I have a decent outfit on I will endeavour to post a better shot. :-)

 

I just received new burgundy Grenson shoes so I may have to post a pic! :-)

post #52815 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

Thanks, I shall do that. Probably wasn't the best example to post with, I don't often wear that combo (or that tie). I came here really to get ideas, rather than to show off my own stuff. When I have a decent outfit on I will endeavour to post a better shot. :-)

 

I just received new burgundy Grenson shoes so I may have to post a pic! :-)


 There was a thread here awhile ago about wearing pink dress shirts so that's probably OK but they really don't like red ties here most of the time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III