Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3452post #51766 of 787195/25/13 at 12:51pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #51767 of 787195/25/13 at 12:57pmpost #51768 of 787195/25/13 at 12:59pmpost #51769 of 787195/25/13 at 1:20pmpost #51770 of 787195/25/13 at 2:01pmpost #51771 of 787195/25/13 at 2:21pmpost #51772 of 787195/25/13 at 2:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tirailleur1
I havr no problem with blendinh city and country. But those jeans are just not good. I tried to even understand it from an ironic perspective, a high fashion perspective and even a streetwear perspective and it didn't click with any. It looks kitsch... and not in a good way. still you have a goof and consistent aesthetic that you can afford to trip up sometimes
Definitely. AAS is one of the best new posters we've had in a while, and his last several fits have been quite good, but this one is a miss, mostly because of the jeans. You're right... I can't square them no matter how I look at them.
Everyone has misses, AAS, please don't take it the wrong way or think that everyone is jumping down your throat.post #51773 of 787195/25/13 at 2:29pm
GD, just kidding. But there's no law against ties or PS on Saturdays either; after all, we're all eccentric in the eyes of the masses anyway...
Cantab: that's brutal. But I can't help agreeing...especially if they're also stretchy!post #51774 of 787195/25/13 at 2:41pmpost #51775 of 787195/25/13 at 3:52pm
Quote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
The most concerning thing about the comments to me was that I have no idea why you don't like the jeans. Ok, they are horrendous and atrocious, but why? Are pleats on jeans the issue or are pleats in general the issue (that's a whole other discussion)? Is it the drape of the material? the taper of the leg? the rise? I have no idea. Again I like them, but would love your input as to what in particular about them is atrocious.
In the late 1980's and early 1990's, the wide shouldered and pleated / tapered pants look was all the rage. It started in suits and men's dress pants and migrated to jeans and women's pants (combined wide, over-stuffed shoulder pads on low button stance DB jackets). Soon the trend mixed with the urban styles of that era and hit its zenith of awfulness with horrors like this:
But if it just ended there, it wouldn't be so bad. The second act, that has left pleats fending for their existence, was when the pleated baggy "relaxed fit" pants and jeans hit the Walmart clearance rack. At that point middle-american mom & dad found out that these acid washed pleated horrors were also very comfortable for those with expanding waistlines and backsides. Long after the kids had decided these things were passé, mom kept right on wearing them. As you yourself pointed out, they have become known as mom jeans for this reason.
They are bad because they are unflattering (especially for someone as thin as yourself). The "comfort" tapered shape makes for an unnatural hip flare and baggy mess in front. They look dated, not vintage, much the way tacky 70's plaids and bell bottoms look dated.
Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's good.post #51776 of 787195/25/13 at 4:19pmpost #51777 of 787195/25/13 at 4:44pmpost #51778 of 787195/25/13 at 5:16pmpost #51779 of 787195/25/13 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
Three patterns today. I tried to fit a patterned pocket square, but decided against it.
All in all, this is nice change from yesterday. Love the vest.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Burgundy appreciation and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 2 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 2 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 3 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 3 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) 4 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 4 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...