Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest?Last edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3452post #51766 of 787215/25/13 at 12:51pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #51767 of 787215/25/13 at 12:57pmpost #51768 of 787215/25/13 at 12:59pmpost #51769 of 787215/25/13 at 1:20pmpost #51770 of 787215/25/13 at 2:01pmpost #51771 of 787215/25/13 at 2:21pmpost #51772 of 787215/25/13 at 2:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tirailleur1
I havr no problem with blendinh city and country. But those jeans are just not good. I tried to even understand it from an ironic perspective, a high fashion perspective and even a streetwear perspective and it didn't click with any. It looks kitsch... and not in a good way. still you have a goof and consistent aesthetic that you can afford to trip up sometimes
Definitely. AAS is one of the best new posters we've had in a while, and his last several fits have been quite good, but this one is a miss, mostly because of the jeans. You're right... I can't square them no matter how I look at them.
Everyone has misses, AAS, please don't take it the wrong way or think that everyone is jumping down your throat.post #51773 of 787215/25/13 at 2:29pm
GD, just kidding. But there's no law against ties or PS on Saturdays either; after all, we're all eccentric in the eyes of the masses anyway...
Cantab: that's brutal. But I can't help agreeing...especially if they're also stretchy!post #51774 of 787215/25/13 at 2:41pmpost #51775 of 787215/25/13 at 3:52pm
Quote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
The most concerning thing about the comments to me was that I have no idea why you don't like the jeans. Ok, they are horrendous and atrocious, but why? Are pleats on jeans the issue or are pleats in general the issue (that's a whole other discussion)? Is it the drape of the material? the taper of the leg? the rise? I have no idea. Again I like them, but would love your input as to what in particular about them is atrocious.
In the late 1980's and early 1990's, the wide shouldered and pleated / tapered pants look was all the rage. It started in suits and men's dress pants and migrated to jeans and women's pants (combined wide, over-stuffed shoulder pads on low button stance DB jackets). Soon the trend mixed with the urban styles of that era and hit its zenith of awfulness with horrors like this:
But if it just ended there, it wouldn't be so bad. The second act, that has left pleats fending for their existence, was when the pleated baggy "relaxed fit" pants and jeans hit the Walmart clearance rack. At that point middle-american mom & dad found out that these acid washed pleated horrors were also very comfortable for those with expanding waistlines and backsides. Long after the kids had decided these things were passé, mom kept right on wearing them. As you yourself pointed out, they have become known as mom jeans for this reason.
They are bad because they are unflattering (especially for someone as thin as yourself). The "comfort" tapered shape makes for an unnatural hip flare and baggy mess in front. They look dated, not vintage, much the way tacky 70's plaids and bell bottoms look dated.
Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's good.post #51776 of 787215/25/13 at 4:19pmpost #51777 of 787215/25/13 at 4:44pmpost #51778 of 787215/25/13 at 5:16pmpost #51779 of 787215/25/13 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by An Acute Style
Three patterns today. I tried to fit a patterned pocket square, but decided against it.
All in all, this is nice change from yesterday. Love the vest.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 45 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE MAY 29 2015: Dress like a Fruit...or Vegetable 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 6 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM DOES JAPAN 7 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan