or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3435  

post #51511 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Careful, DerekS. Tatano may challenge you to pistols at dawn...

ahhh..is tatano an internet badass?
post #51512 of 78722
No, sir. He is a gentleman!
post #51513 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

No, sir. He is a gentleman!

ah. i shouldve known by the Jethro gingham shirt. lol8[1].gif
post #51514 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatano View Post


I don't understand all the hostility and snide remarks. I was under the impression this was a gentleman's forum where we could have respectable conversations... Oh well. Class and style, as I see, do not go hand in hand.

I'll just repeat what I said in another thread; there is nothing gentlemanly about SF. Being a gentlemen has nothing to do with clothes (in either the born as or behaves like definitions of the word) and therefore has nothing to do with the behavior or manners of the people on SF.

 

With that said, you should have known, by reading just a few pages of posts in this thread, that a suit with contrasting stitching combined with a bright red tie on a bright red checked shirt was going to raise a pretty negative response. Not to be harsh, but for those of us who like red ties, you provided the perfect argument against the red tie (thanks to that shirt). I am not saying you have to be as boring as some here would prescribe, but loud plus loud equals bad.

post #51515 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Re: the debate about tan & grey. IMO, these colours do theoretically work together... but it is easily the hardest "classic" colour combination to get to work in practice. You can't just combine any grey with any tan. It has to be exactly the right shade of grey for exactly the right shade of tan. I don't how to describe colour properties technically enough to be precise about this, but from personal experience, I'm disappointed with 9/10 grey+tan outfits I put together because of this issue. Not enough to actually change outfits (I'm lazy), but I do notice. As a result, I've largely stopped pairing grey jackets with tan trousers. I might try it next week, just for funsies, inspired by this debate. If I retain the motivation, I'll try to show the difference in overall effect between two slightly different tan trousers with the same grey odd jacket. (There are other points I'm not a fan of re: stitches' outfit but others have already mentioned those, and I wanted to talk more about the colour pairing).

I'm with you on the challenges of the grey/tan combo. Where I think it works well is actually camel and grey. Most tans seem "washed out" for want of a better term. Camel colour though has a depth and richness of its own that looks really good with differing shades of grey from light through charcoal. Sorry about the pics but they were all I could find quickly on google.





post #51516 of 78722
Agreed, camel and grey are great together. Some tans too but as you say, the lighter ones look washed out easily.
post #51517 of 78722

Here I was thinking that SF was about the fun of sharing clothing related experiences with like-minded individuals. Instead, it seems to be a place where bitter dogmaticists want to win a debate at all costs.

Wearing the right clothes doesn't make one stylish per se, knowing how to behave properly does.

 

Signing off...

post #51518 of 78722
+1 and I'm out as well
post #51519 of 78722

It's funny how the internet tends to show people's anima, no restrictions and the false feeling of freedom. Laughing at ideals and acting like an ass on the internet only proves one thing to the world: that your core is made of shit. Really pitiful.

post #51520 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

I love the snarkiness that goes on between veteran members.

nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

100% not SF approved and i love erry bit of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Here I was thinking that SF was about the fun of sharing clothing related experiences with like-minded individuals. Instead, it seems to be a place where bitter dogmaticists want to win a debate at all costs.
Wearing the right clothes doesn't make one stylish per se, knowing how to behave properly does.
Signing off...

by signing off, you are giving in. stick around and embrace the snark, and it becomes less offensive. with the added benefit that when some really does cross a line, you get to really rail on them.
post #51521 of 78722

Gosh, I really missed some fun stuff, huh.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

A warm one.  Linen shirt, pants, and jacket and cotton tie.  New Kent Wang lapel flower as well.  

 

 

 

So this probably got lost in all the hustle and bustle, so I didn't spoiler it. A lot of folks don't like wearing a tie without a jacket, but this is an example of it being done right as it addresses a couple of the objections which come with a tie sans jacket.

 

The rolled up sleeves accomplish two purposes. They signal that the lack of jacket is intentional (and therefore lesson the feeling of incompleteness a viewer might feel upon looking at the fit). It also frames the shirt and tie a little better. Without the color of the jacket providing borders to the shirt-tie, I've always felt that shirt is just floating against whatever is in the background. You still have that a little bit, but the horizontal lines created by the folded shirt cuffs on skin as well as the skin color create some sort of color barrier.

 

The pants and shoes also bring down the level of formality which is a good thing for a look without a jacket.

 

I realize that you actually wore a jacket with this look, but I just wanted to use that picture as a good example of what I firmly believe (and what is probably also post hoc rationalization on my part)

 

(also, dislike the shoes, but that's just me devil.gif)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Here I was thinking that SF was about the fun of sharing clothing related experiences with like-minded individuals. Instead, it seems to be a place where bitter dogmaticists want to win a debate at all costs*.

Wearing the right clothes doesn't make one stylish per se, knowing how to behave properly does.

 

Signing off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatano View Post

+1 and I'm out as well

* Foo didn't participate

 

I don't think either of you guys should run off. There was a great deal of productive discussion in there. In the process of argument, those guys ARE actually thinking about what they believe about clothes and why they believe it. They might not project that doubt in their writing, but that's merely because a) they think it might be a sign of weakness or b) more likely, it is an unconscious dialectic process.

 

Tatano, your outfit was awful. It was awful for a number of reasons. Outside of your choices in pieces, that you chose to highlight what makes your suit special probably elicited the negative reaction. It certainly turned me off.

 

BUT you should absolutely continue posting pictures. The majority of responses, at least until you got defensive, were very reasonable. I think you could have taken away one very important lesson from them: total deviation is neither tasteful nor well received; it is the minor deviations against a sedate palette which best express yourself. You say you have interesting elements; that's wonderful. You can learn how to best to integrate them in such a way that they are positively received so that people who know and love clothes both think you are well dressed and interestingly dressed.

 

Again, I don't know who either of you are. You are both very new members. Develop thicker skin, realize that much of that discussion was in good fun, but that a lot of people take clothing seriously because if they didn't, that discussion wouldn't have brought them any sort of satisfaction. And for every point and counterpoint, regardless of whether it was made to express an idea or merely to win, there are readers sitting silently in front of their computers, lurking and learning.

 

__________________

 

As far as mixing tan with gray, I think it helps to have gray with some brown in it (or the tan with some gray in it). Here's an example of some material (from my pants) that I think would work well in that combination.

 

post #51522 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


nod[1].gif

by signing off, you are giving in. stick around and embrace the snark, and it becomes less offensive. with the added benefit that when some really does cross a line, you get to really rail on them.

 

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I wasn't referring to the sharp but good natured exchanges between old-time SF members, but to the tasteless bashing of newcomers by members who show no class or style at all. Like this:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

 

Maybe if you weren't dressed like a GQ-vomit collage people would address you respectfully. Also, gentlemen are some of the rudest people around.

 

Edit: of course, that last sentence says it all....

post #51523 of 78722
ah yes, that is not my style either. dont let it bother you though.
post #51524 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post


I'm with you on the challenges of the grey/tan combo. Where I think it works well is actually camel and grey. Most tans seem "washed out" for want of a better term. Camel colour though has a depth and richness of its own that looks really good with differing shades of grey from light through charcoal. Sorry about the pics but they were all I could find quickly on google.

 

Cantabrigian and Holdfast and Bertie's posts are excellent. This is where the forum gets good, actually, and hopefully where people learn, and where we might be able to retain some of the 'good old days' that edmorel (rightly) thinks we've lost. I like people here (mostly...), but it's sometimes a bit too bro-ish and backslapping to insiders even when they dress badly and harsh on newcomers. I'd rather long-termers didn't only post here because it's a nice community and they wanted 'likes' from SFers and a bit of chat, but because there are many knowledgable and perceptive people here who can offer constructive advice on what they are wearing and how it might be improved. On the other hand, people shouldn't be driven away because they've got all their knowledge thus far from fashion magazines. But I would hope after Tatano's ego has recovered, that he actually pays some attention to the content of what he was told, lurks a bit more, and realises that he is only beginning a journey rather than already at the pinacle of style...


Edited by FlyingMonkey - 5/22/13 at 12:13am
post #51525 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

A warm one.  Linen shirt, pants, and jacket and cotton tie.  New Kent Wang lapel flower as well.  

 

 

I have say, I freakin love this combo (though you need a belt or lose the loops).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III