Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 10:15 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3354post #50296 of 787214/26/13 at 11:35am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #50297 of 787214/26/13 at 11:42ampost #50298 of 787214/26/13 at 11:49amQuote:Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I know it's breaking the rules and all, but this doesn't look bad. Quite the contrary!post #50299 of 787214/26/13 at 11:51ampost #50300 of 787214/26/13 at 11:57ampost #50301 of 787214/26/13 at 12:42pmpost #50302 of 787214/26/13 at 2:12pmpost #50303 of 787214/26/13 at 3:09pm
Annoyingly, the weather wasn't dry & sunny enough to wear the fit I really wanted to for today's challenge so instead I went with a more traditional one instead. Don't worry, you'll see the more flamboyant look some time this summer (it will be minus the red tie tho').
Anyway, my entry:
Things I learnt from the challenge:
- it was impossible to find a square that went well with all these elements. The starkness of the white shirt, combined with the brightness of the red tie, made any other visual counterpoint almost impossible to integrate. I gave up after trying about 3 squares and realising none of them looked good. Weirdly, worst of that lot was white linen. Anyway, no square seems best (or, least worst).
- I felt that I was back dressing up for school or as if I worked in some souless office. Didn't really like that effect, but the weather prevented me from wearing what I really wanted to, and this was the only practical look I could generate from the rest of the wardrobe. The challenge parameters would have been a lot easier to work into a summery look where the white shirt could have been used to complement lighter shades in both the trouser & jacket, instead of having to rely more on stark contrasts to create a look.
- I guess what the two points above highlight is that I found the white shirt + red tie combination to be a really difficult combination to integrate into my personal style, given the no-suit stipulation. If we'd been allowed suits, it would have been much easier. But then again, it's called a challenge for a reason! :)post #50304 of 787214/26/13 at 3:36pmpost #50305 of 787214/26/13 at 3:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
Poasting for the friday challenge...
When I first got this jacket I was happy with the shoulder expression, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike the overall silhouette. Can't quite figure out what to do to make future commissions look better, perhaps it's just my body shape. I was thinking some more shoulder extension, leaner chest, less padding, fuller sleeves and more closed quarters, but I can't be sure about the results.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I actually think this is kind of great. I think trousers a little wide-ish like that look beautiful when they fall as well as those do. The shoulder looks nice in the long shot, but in the close-up it looks kind of rigid with the very drapey chest. Based on the other photos you've posted of it, I'd be happy with it -- but they're your clothes. The "Friday Challenge" elements of the fit take it down a notch, I think, and I'm a little wary of patterned trousers with navy blazers -- but that's probably just me.post #50306 of 787214/26/13 at 4:35pm
Clags: TU for feedback...yeah...I do look like I'm hawking peas or something....let's say I wanted to keep jacket/slacks and the shoes--I had many favorable comments on the shoes--what color shirt? A blue check? Yellow? I have a purple gingham that fits well... thanks again..just trying to learn.
post #50307 of 787214/26/13 at 5:08pmpost #50308 of 787214/26/13 at 5:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
Ouch, that hurts about the trousers! I actually love how they fit - they are not so baggy really, my legs are just that thick. Or are you just talking about the fact they are plaid trousers?
Black oxfords and white shirt with this are part of this friday's WAYWRN challenge - I would not wear such a combo otherwise
Patterned odd trousers are okay for a dandified look i guessQuote:+Originally Posted by RDiaz
I think the pic is over-emphasizing the pagoda effect.
Here's the same jacket:
better minus the Summer square
It's not the rope and pagoda per se, but the combination of the rope, convex shoulder and aggressive lapels (mitigated by the blue tie and more appropriate square here)
It's a statement jacket- industrial- flat planes and angles and bumps, and IMO won't play with informals like those trews etcpost #50309 of 787214/26/13 at 5:49pmQuote:
I won one or two challenges back in their first forum incarnation. I couldn't remember which themes, but just looked them up in the challenge compendium thread NOBD & Spoo put together then, and it seems like one was the Black theme and the other was the FU jacket one. I can't remember the details of what I wore for them though. My first theme selection was Pattern Frenzy (compile a fit with as many patterns as possible, but which still actually looks good and not like a dog's dinner), and the second was Inspired by Nature (fits to be inspired by something - colours, patterns, textures, whatever - in the natural world i.e. trying to get people to think about how to craft a look by having an end image/muse in mind, rather than just throwing items together). Both themes had potential for high achievement, and terrible car crash failures and IIRC I think they generated both.
I think that's important in a challenge: at their best, they provide artificial constraints that result in creative/unexpected solutions to the problem of looking good. I like seeing what problems the constraints generate; it's another way of figuring out what you actually like to see in the mirror. And at their worst, a tough challenge theme means that you can giggle at the terrible submissions. I don't know what theme I'd pick if I ever got the opportunity to pick again. But I'd probably pick similarly high-wire, high risk/reward types of theme.
BTW, I forgot to comment earlier on RDiaz's jacket and his feeling of discontent about its silhouette. Personally, I would agree with those thinking it looks very nice in general, but would benefit from a somewhat less cutaway front. Apart from that, I like the rest of its appearance. Of course, the more important thing is whether he likes it. If not, before ordering another jacket, it would be worth figuring out what he'd ideally like from a jacket that this one isn't giving him rather than over-focusing on individual construction elements i.e. take a holistic look for an archetype of the kind of jacket he wants and then finding out whether his tailor likes making that sort of jacket.post #50310 of 787214/26/13 at 6:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
BTW, I forgot to comment earlier on RDiaz's jacket and his feeling of discontent about its silhouette. Personally, I would agree with those thinking it looks very nice in general, but would benefit from a somewhat less cutaway front. Apart from that, I like the rest of its appearance. Of course, the more important thing is whether he likes it. If not, before ordering another jacket, it would be worth figuring out what he'd ideally like from a jacket that this one isn't giving him rather than over-focusing on individual construction elements i.e. take a holistic look for an archetype of the kind of jacket he wants and then finding out whether his tailor likes making that sort of jacket.
nice consultation. errrr... comment, Dr H
yeah RD if u stick with this u can't go wrong- looks great
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 8 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 11 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 14 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 17 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 18 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 22 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...