Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3187post #47791 of 787173/17/13 at 6:16ampost #47792 of 787173/17/13 at 7:01amOriginally Posted by add911_11Originally Posted by Crat
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's not a cause for concern. That's a cause for awesome.
Mind you, Scrooge McDuck would have been even better.
I just googled for a Scrooge McDuck pocket square. There's a gap in the market, folks.Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I thought you were up there too.
Don't take it to heart fellas. I cheerfully admit to being a crap judge of age. Maybe it's the combination of no hair on head and hair on face that triggers some suppressed subconscious association with advanced years.
Holdfast - any light to shed on that?
Yeah...Originally Posted by Holdfast
Last time I grew a beard out, it ended in much the same way yours did - waking up and just being fed up with it. I got the same "you look a lot younger" comments (and I'd only worn it for a few months or so at the time anyway). Got the same reaction after I switched haircuts recently too. It's a nice comment... but it does make you think, "if I look so much younger now, just how ancient did I look before?! And why didn't you gits tell me anything then?!" lolpost #47793 of 787173/17/13 at 7:43ampost #47794 of 787173/17/13 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Vintage blue fresco SC
J. Lawrence by Khakis of Carmel microgingham vacation oneshirt
Vintage Turnbull & Asser Aztec foulard
Martin Dingman navy crocodile belt
J. Crizzle Oxford pants, Bowery fit
John Lobb, Turvey, in ivory and white
Creed Virgin Island Water
Partially seen, the scorched flesh of a pale Internet geek
Looking good!post #47795 of 787173/17/13 at 9:01amQuote:
It would not take too much paging backwards in this thread to see holdfast with a beard, and I had a Van Dyke until March 2011, at which point I removed it, much to the acclaim of virtually all posters to these fora. The reaction was much like that for holdfast, "You look x (5, 10, 15, 20) years younger". As the Van Dyke was getting greyer with every trimming, I was happy to see it go. ( I will PM you with a "before" photo).
As for Mafoofan, a beard would look unnatural in the extreme. Between his physical stature and his general mien, especially with his last photo posting, with no glasses and somewhat spiked hair (showing off his Rubinacci greatcoat - which was great in many ways), he would look as natural as a middle-school student growing a beard.post #47796 of 787173/17/13 at 9:23amQuote:
I can do my part, and fulfil the first of your three wishes. First snap is from Feb 2009, the second from April 2012. Leaving aside the beard, you can see my hair getting thinner (with a few extra greys; not so obviously visible) up top over the years, and even more so nowadays. Hence finally accepting fate, and changing hairstyle a month or so ago, as you know from my recent pics. Big sigh...
Actually, it's been kind of funny going back to more or less the same hairstyle now that I had as a teen. It's thinner (and shorter) than it used to be, of course, but I do find it looks better now, and everyone I know has agreed with that. So it's good really.post #47797 of 787173/17/13 at 9:28ampost #47798 of 787173/17/13 at 10:02amLooks nice Williams - change out the shoes to brown (walnut?) and you're good to go! Also maybe a more casual shirt collar style like an (puts on flamesuit) OCBD or whatever
(edited for clarity)
Holdfast - I meant to comment this a few pages back on looking at that Friday picture drop, I've been around long enough to remember the ol' Holdfast of 3-5 years ago. You've still got that flair but I have noticed your jacket shapes have changed. I always thought your SC / suit jackets were a bit oversized and particularly long and these new ones are a much cleaner fit. Just $0.02.
Edited by Master-Classter - 3/17/13 at 4:47pmpost #47799 of 787173/17/13 at 10:26ampost #47800 of 787173/17/13 at 10:27ampost #47801 of 787173/17/13 at 10:29ampost #47802 of 787173/17/13 at 10:29ampost #47803 of 787173/17/13 at 10:31amOriginally Posted by PTWilliams
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Your fits always bring a unique look. This one comes together nicely IMO; the hat, jumper & jacket are all equally leery, so work pretty well together.Holdfast - I meant to comment this a few pages back on looking at that Friday picture drop, I've been around long enough to remember the ol' Holdfast of 3-5 years ago. You've still got that flair but I have noticed your jacket shapes have changed. I always thought your SC / suit jackets were a bit oversized and particularly long and these new ones are a much cleaner fit. Just $0.02.
To find the bearded pics posted earlier, I looked back through my old photo albums, and there's certainly truth to the above, especially on the length issue.
I still have a lot of the jackets/suits of that era but it's very noticeable that the ones I've kept are largely the bespoke/MTM ones (where of course there's more control over jacket length) and the ones I've sold off have been RTW in lengths that were about an inch too long for me. My former Brioni & RLPL stuff fell into this category. Having said that, two of the jackets posted in the Friday batch of pics are RTW (the brown plaid & the plum cord ones) and you can see from my recent bespoke jackets (like the grey one from Friday's batch) that I still take a longer length jacket than many would. In terms of jacket chest fit, I actually think I've overdone the leanness this time & I'm thinking of an (ever so slightly) looser fit around the upper chest next time, so as to allow me to carry a bit more in the inside pockets without it messing up the way the jacket lies. It's perfect without stuff in the pockets, but needs a bit more tolerance built in.
It's interesting & fun to look back through old pics; I recommend it to anyone who's posted here for a while. There are definitely trends; some short-lived, some longer, some you back-track on, some evolve further.
(PS. no need to be so tentative about offering feedback!)post #47804 of 787173/17/13 at 10:42ampost #47805 of 787173/17/13 at 10:47am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › things that are making you happy 53 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 5 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 10 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 10 minutes ago
- › Take all of the guns. All of them. 19 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding