Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/14/11 at 9:21am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 12/2/13 at 4:49pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3072
Styleforum Top Picks
It's shocking to me to see that so many are against new things here. Everyone post the same ''normal'' outfits which is great. Classic is always the best way to go, as for work that's how I dress aswell.
But on my spare time I like very much to go crazy with colors, scarfs and just go the wrong way with everything. Stilig is doing such way and many others here on SF and once they do, you all piss over it.
Posting outfits here is not about rules or the way YOU LIKE IT. It's what you are wearing right now , not how ugly it is. And many of you that comment so harsch on everyone, post even worse outfit then the guy himself.
Instead of being rude, try to see the good things about the outfit. Something new, fresh, someone who dares to go the other way.
You have a fair point, Hampton. This is "Classic Menswear", but still (much to my annoyance!) tolerates jeans, loafers without socks and other such monstrosities. And you're right, the young fellow here is not the only blog-reading i-gent hipster to post by any means, and you're right too that others get a far more tolerant response. But I think the line crossed here is about extreme fit as much as style.
Don't worry, Stilig, People can be rough around here but they'll get used to you. Actually, I think a lot of people like a lot of what you've done there - me included. And for doing something different, I admire your balls. I just don't want to see them.
Hampton, this is a forum for discussion. If you are certain you look good and really don't care to have others discuss it, then you shouldn't post here. This is actually why there is a photos only, no discussion version of WAYWRN in SW&D - perhaps you should start a similar no discussion thread here if you object to discussion.
And I think you miss the point about the critique here - people haven't been particularly harsh on Stilig. It's not because they don't like new things - you will notice that the most detailed critique came from Tirailleur, who is the epitome of everything you seem to think isn't allowed here - and yet, his style is widely admired in MC. Why do you think this is? You see, the thing about style is is that ultimately it works or it doesn't, although why it works or not is based on a variety of different things. Now Stilig isn't actually doing something new or different in this outfit - and I am only talking about this outfit, not making any generalization about his style or his personality or anything else - in fact, what he is doing comes across as a too perfect copy of the over-accessorized Pitti Uomo / GQ / #menswear / fashion thing that we are all very, very familiar with. It's not because it's not 'classic', it's because it has an almost caricatured look about it.
But as I said, it's a thin line between what Tirailleur does and this particular outfit. Learning the subtle differences that make things fall on one side or other of the line is what this forum is all about - and discussion is essential to that. We've all taken our hits here at various times and we all have to learn how to learn from this in whatever way we choose.
I find the fit to be spot on. If you have a build which is lean, why not go with a slim pair of trousers and fitted jacket. IMO it looks much better than a baggy pair of flannel trousers. This is a modern interpretation of a classic look. And it works great here for Stilig.
Is "Classic menswear" synonymous with "Classic Fitted Menswear"?
Even though it is a Pitti look, it doesn't mean that it isn't a classic, or a good look for that matter.
Hampton There is a difference between giving helpful critique and being rude and I certainly was not in my post. I for one do not fall under the classic menswear umbrella. Shit SF uses one of my fits as the SWD banner. The issue is that the look isn't very original. I am all for experimenting and pushing the limits but let us not kid ourselves and say me or flying monkey are hating simply because it isn't "classic" (which in itself is false). I don't know Stilig so I have nothing against his personality but IMO and in the grand scheme of things... I hate to say it but the look is terrible. That comes with the territory of trying to experiment. You nail some you bomb some. Most of us praised the individual pieces but the execution was not up to par so... If that is your definition of rude... Then oh well.
Being stylish is all about invoking your personality within the clothes. Making it very personal and expressing that to your audience successfully. It is almost like you are convincing us that the look is exclusively yours. Stilig's look is unfortunately entirely borrowed from too many places and really doesn't show his personality and I can easily tell. it comes off abit lifeless... You can't knock people for not praising a cover band when the original exists can you?
Anyway Stilig I have no beef with you at all... Just thought I could provide some advice
here are some members that do what you are trying to do well... It would be awesome to look thought their pics
W.o.e. is me
Edited by Tirailleur1 - 2/24/13 at 4:47pm
That jacket really isn't my piece of cake but the guy posting it is probably 20-something like I'm ,give us creding in trying to dress elegant-ish rather than in shitty dior\gucci\whatever sneakers and retard football players tshirts for 150 dollars..I mean I personally get great inspiration from many of you many times, but many more It's full of pics AA of suits so boring and old looking that it seems looking at a richard gere movie from the 90' !(some guys here have trousairs so long I'd cut aways 5 inches). Out of respect I only comment on pics that I like , that's a choice... but if you have to be criticize , and by all means do it, try to be constructive ..
All of the above said with the utmost respect.
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › Quality of €5-10 ties in Italy? 5 minutes ago
- › Church's Shoes 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoe P0rn. 18 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 21 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 22 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in EG 32 minutes ago
- › GODZILLA - May 16, 2014 33 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw