Would you guys recommend unlined with rolled edges on a grenadine?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:13 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 3016post #45226 of 787172/12/13 at 8:26ampost #45227 of 787172/12/13 at 8:27am
Claghorn: This is my favorite of your looks -- I kind of like the (to me) slightly counterintuitive pairing of the grenadine tie and spread collar shirt with the jacket. It's a kind of cool variation on the slightly more obvious knit/OCBD combo. I think I like it because everything's so refined in texture, and because the colors are right for each other.
stitches: That jacket is really great -- a lovely cut, the kind of three-button that I really like -- and it looks great with that tie and those trousers. If you had R Diaz's or Claghorn's shirt, then you'd be knocking it out of the park.
Also, I like your socks.
post #45228 of 787172/12/13 at 8:30amQuote:
i love it. it makes the tip of the tie kind of see through, and some think that is weird, but i think its awesome. and the rolled edge is DO. IT!Quote:
thanks. apparently i am an idiot for not going solid blue with this. will try again next week.post #45229 of 787172/12/13 at 8:35am
Thanks for the kind words! To make things weirder, the spread collared shirt is oxford cloth.
As far as folds on grenadines. The tie I'm wearing is a six fold fina (or picolla) from Panta and it's unlined. I'm waiting on an experimental tie from Hober which will be unlined picolla 4 fold. It'll be really delicate...I've got no idea how it'll drape, but it'll be interesting. Getting a second more traditional lined picolla grenadine as well.
post #45230 of 787172/12/13 at 9:10ampost #45231 of 787172/12/13 at 9:10ampost #45232 of 787172/12/13 at 9:41amQuote:
Stitchy, I agree that the shirt is oversaturated, but I'd still give you one Graybeard™Quote:
I have a thinly lined, multifold, untipped grenadine and a traditionally lined, three-fold, self-tipped grenadine. I prefer the latter. Grenadines in particular do not seem to benefit from all of the iGent-treasured features.post #45233 of 787172/12/13 at 9:43ampost #45234 of 787172/12/13 at 9:44ampost #45235 of 787172/12/13 at 9:45ampost #45236 of 787172/12/13 at 9:48ampost #45237 of 787172/12/13 at 10:02ampost #45238 of 787172/12/13 at 10:59amOriginally Posted by Claghorn
My "fuck you red" tie, worn in part for Monday and in part because I haven't been wearing Thomas Pink much since joining SF.
An occasional deliberately leery look can be a fun; I like this one in that spirit.
Overall though, I actually prefer your more recent fit. Good way to use that jacket.
Source of the bowtie please? It has a nice width & shape to it.
I think both the fit and the colours are difficult in this look. The trousers look too snug (even for a slim look) & the jacket looks tight. Also, they're a similar colour, which makes them difficult to pair together despite the jacket's pattern. The tie would be fine with the jacket, if the trousers were darker, I think. As it is, it's too dark.
Much too much green, and not a particularly pleasing green at that. Different (complementary rather than matching) shirt & tie next time you wear this outfit, would be my advice.
Darker trousers needed here, to contrast more in tone/brightness (not sure of exact correct word) vs the jacket, IMO. Different colour alone isn't enough here. Along the same lines, the tie may be a different colour, but again it's the same sort of tone so the different colour comes across as confusing rather than complementary. Imagine this look with a dark forest green tie and really dark (or I suppose, very pale) trousers (or even dark denim) and I think it would pull together much better.
Imagine desaturating the image of all colour and turning into a black & white image. I don't know for certain but I bet that all the colours will appear quite similar. That's a very tricky look to pull off once the varying colours are restored (unless they're all the same colour eg. navy suit & tie with white or pale blue shirt, for an extreme example).
tl;dr version: needs more contrast (or fewer colours).
Cool. Would love it even more with flap or slanted pockets, but great anyway.
RJE - thx for the useful feedback; your recent fit is very good.
Slightly darker tie would have worked better today, but oh well...post #45239 of 787172/12/13 at 11:19ampost #45240 of 787172/12/13 at 11:32am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Cars We Drive! 33 seconds ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › OAMC - Over All Master Cloth - Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding