Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:40 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2961post #44401 of 787211/29/13 at 12:48pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #44402 of 787211/29/13 at 12:51pmpost #44403 of 787211/29/13 at 12:52pmpost #44404 of 787211/29/13 at 1:04pmpost #44405 of 787211/29/13 at 1:09pm
FlaneurNYC: Thank you. What other square would you suggest?
SB: Yeah, I guess I should amend that statement (which was a little bit tongue-in-cheek): too dark for most of my other jackets. They were going to be my go-to gray pants, but I think a lighter pair would suit my olive tweed and the brown flannel I posted yesterday better -- but then those would be totally wrong for this jacket. I feel I haven't been thinking enough in terms of contrast between the jacket and trousers when I'm wearing a sportcoat. I pick colors that work together on a hanger, but I think I'd be better served by aiming for a contrast in saturation, rather than just hue.
I think hits the targets that I aim for, and his cerebral approach to dressing appeals to me, but as far as I'm concerned nobody's the final arbiter and nobody's right all the time. That goes double in the case of somebody who's developed a very particular, very limited style. Of course, it's easy to forget that...post #44406 of 787211/29/13 at 1:36pmpost #44407 of 787211/29/13 at 1:41pmpost #44408 of 787211/29/13 at 1:49pmQuote:
Good point. No sense in it being a textured fabric if it takes an electron microscope to notice it.post #44409 of 787211/29/13 at 2:27pmQuote:
You know, I'm having a hard time trying to match a tie with this shirt. I'm not that happy with the combo, but I don't own a tie that I actually like with this shirt. I have in mind what kind of tie could work well... (being not a solid tie) but I don't know how those are called.post #44410 of 787211/29/13 at 3:19pmpost #44411 of 787211/29/13 at 3:37pmpost #44412 of 787211/29/13 at 4:13pmQuote:
Yeah, they're pretty pricey but a whole bunch of them was on sale during Drakes' annual sale a couple weeks ago.Quote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
Props to you for rising to the challenge, and putting your jpegs where your mouth is.
My only comments are that a solid colored shirt would be a more harmonious match for your tie - the pattern of your shirt is fighting a bit with your tie as shown. As for no socks with cap toe balmorals, that is a ridiculous affectation, but you do live in LA, the land of ridiculous affectations - it would be impossible not to be infected.
I never saw it as a challenge, but rather putting a little teeth in what I say.
As for my shirt pattern fighting with my tie, I don't find that to be the case at all, in fact, I find it to be quite harmonious. Stripes and small paisleys tend not to clash, so long as colors are not antagonistic. So I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Secondly, the sans-sock look is indeed an affectation, but so is most of what we wear. As long as it's executed sharply, most people would just swallow it and accept it as a fashionable quirk. Same can be said of your ridiculous three-piece get ups, adorned with pocket watches and collar bars, which look entirely anachronistic, unnecessary, and out of place in modern fashion. Nonetheless, I have not a bit of problem with it as long as it's executed with razor precision. Michael Alden from the London Lounge seems to have the right stuff for putting together classical ensembles with panache and flair. Unfortunately, you're no Michael Alden.
But that's alright because we're all here to learn.Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad you pointed that out. If you understand the elements of a proper fitting suit, you'll know what to look out for.post #44413 of 787211/29/13 at 4:28pmpost #44414 of 787211/29/13 at 4:29pmpost #44415 of 787211/29/13 at 4:45pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 54 seconds ago
- › Vass - Longwing high boots, brown pebble grain and brown calf -... 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 5 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Why are people willing to pay more for mainstream high fashion... 7 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 8 minutes ago
- › Cheaney 9 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...