or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2957  

post #44341 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I like all the colors, CM, and I really like the tie. Not crazy about the knot...I do prefer half windsors, but that tie might be a bit too thick for that. Also, are those pants cotton?

 

You know what, I was thinking the same about the knot, but this tie is so frustrating. It's at that in between thickness where a FIH looks tiny but a half windsor looks too big. Maybe a double FIH would have been better. Yes, the pants are cotton. shog[1].gif

post #44342 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


 

Excellent outfit Charlie. Just perfect Sir.. 

post #44343 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_umbrella View Post



 

The lighting on your pics is better here. It would be better if you stood up instead of half sat on the table, because then I would be able to see the length of your SC better.

Really good outfit though, 3 patterns and 4 textures all nicely assimilated. Fit is perfect. I hope the colour of your SC is as in the second pic.

 

Nitpick: Your asymmetric knot is cool and don't change it for anything, maybe it has just loosened itself a little since you did it as well, but if you tightened / cinched it slightly and / or moved the entire knot slightly to "your" left in the collar V it would look / be that much more awesome.


Edited by Johnboy - 1/29/13 at 12:40am
post #44344 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

You know what, I was thinking the same about the knot, but this tie is so frustrating. It's at that in between thickness where a FIH looks tiny but a half windsor looks too big. Maybe a double FIH would have been better. Yes, the pants are cotton. shog%5B1%5D.gif

 

I use a HW regularly, among others. I'd say that yours is just a little pushed to one side, and really looks fine.

 

But if you do think it's too thick, and still want that triangular knot, there is another option: try a Pratt/Shelby - it's extremely quick and easy once you've tried it a couple of times, makes a really neat triangle, but is smaller than a windsor/HW.  I also find this useful if the tie is a bit short - I'm average height, but have a large collar size, so get this a lot especially with cheaper ties.

 

I do weaken for an SF-friendly FIH or DFIH sometimes, depending on the tie (normally less formal e.g. knitted).  Personally I like a neat triangle with a formal suit or just a stronger, more grown-up look. I find that whole asymmetric thing a bit trendy and precious sometimes - to my mind it's only right with a slim or knitted tie and a softer look overall. Either way, each to his own, but don't be shy about that HW - it has its place!  

post #44345 of 78722

Same attempt, but with a FIH.

 

 

post #44346 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

I use a HW regularly, among others. I'd say that yours is just a little pushed to one side, and really looks fine.

 

But if you do think it's too thick, and still want that triangular knot, there is another option: try a Pratt/Shelby - it's extremely quick and easy once you've tried it a couple of times, makes a really neat triangle, but is smaller than a windsor/HW.  I also find this useful if the tie is a bit short - I'm average height, but have a large collar size, so get this a lot especially with cheaper ties.

 

I do weaken for an SF-friendly FIH or DFIH sometimes, depending on the tie (normally less formal e.g. knitted).  Personally I like a neat triangle with a formal suit or just a stronger, more grown-up look. I find that whole asymmetric thing a bit trendy and precious sometimes - to my mind it's only right with a slim or knitted tie and a softer look overall. Either way, each to his own, but don't be shy about that HW - it has its place!  

 

I haven't used a pratt in a long time and I don't know if I can even remember how to do one. But I will look it up and give it a try.

post #44347 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite View Post

It's a 5cm problem, so you are only that far away from a decent fit.

The button stance on the jacket is 5cm too high [maybe just 2.5cm; since one picture doesn't tell all the story]. Good luck with finding a lower button stance cut, since much RTW and MTM comes this way.

There is no way in the world the buttoning point should be 5cm lower - that would put it just above his belt. And that would suck.

Buttoning point is perfectly fine and, if anything, is on the low side of tasteful.
post #44348 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Same attempt, but with a FIH.

 

 


Definitely looks better. At this point, I reserve a lot of thicker ties for spread collars. Details on the tie? I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't place it. 

post #44349 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


Definitely looks better. At this point, I reserve a lot of thicker ties for spread collars. Details on the tie? I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't place it. 

 

If it is any indication, I have kept the tie in a FIH after taking that picture. 

 

The tie is from TTB. Pretty good deals to be had if you can sift through the chaff to find the better patterns.

 

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=24212&orderPageReturn=%2FcategoryPages%2FWool%5FTies%2Easp&pg=1&categoryIds=31,61&optionValueIds=

post #44350 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Lazy Monday... and a new handkerchief.
vidOZEv.jpg
Not sure about this one!
The sweater is great and the jacket's material is wonderful, but I think that a proper hat like the one you are wearing goes better with a full-length coat, while a short outerwear jacket might look better with a cap (aesthetic proportions).
post #44351 of 78722

I agree with the above. It looks nice, but the hat seems quite out of place. 

post #44352 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post


Yep, it's Hober madder; one of my favourite ties. Braces by Drakes
 

 

Thanks. I was having a hard time finding decent braces with braid ends rather than leather tabs, though £55 for a pair of elastic braces seems a bit excessive... confused.gif

post #44353 of 78722
Nice fit, Benjamin. You should post more. +1 to the sock comments though... smile.gif
post #44354 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Sure, here:



And to quote another long-time poster no longer posting here, mbreinin - "Shut the fuck up." And from a long time poster that still posts here, benjamin831 - "post better fits."

Props to you for rising to the challenge, and putting your jpegs where your mouth is.

My only comments are that a solid colored shirt would be a more harmonious match for your tie - the pattern of your shirt is fighting a bit with your tie as shown. As for no socks with cap toe balmorals, that is a ridiculous affectation, but you do live in LA, the land of ridiculous affectations - it would be impossible not to be infected.
post #44355 of 78722
Seasonal temperatures and no wetness from above for NYC today. Being in a controversial mode, I am practicing the dreaded sin of "loafers with a suit". Colors are most accurate on the close-up of suit, shirt and tie.

Suit, shirt, shoes - BB
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Topcoat - JAB
Hat - Selentino
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III