Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2938post #44056 of 787221/25/13 at 3:38am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #44057 of 787221/25/13 at 3:51amA cold, but thankfully short, morning in school
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
SpooPoker Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ianGP Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by ianGP
Poor pics - in a rush
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Claghorn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #44058 of 787221/25/13 at 3:58ampost #44059 of 787221/25/13 at 4:20amIt's still cold in NYC, but I've decided to give the fur hat a rest and opted for a fedora (SoGent should be SoHappy), and as I'm meeting friends for drinks this evening, I've opted for something a bit less "casual Friday".
Suit - BB GF
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
PS - PRL
Cufflinks - David Donahue via Cable Car Clothiers, SF
Shoes - Bexley, Paris
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason, London
Hat - Selentino
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #44060 of 787221/25/13 at 4:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
[quote name="Ianiceman" url="/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/44040#post_6079248"]
What boat is that? One that set sail in 1973 and has yet to make landfall?
Sorry chaps but these huge broad check jackets may get you praise from a handful of virgins on the internet but in the real world people are wondering why you are wearing clothes from the decade that style forgot.[/quote]
In this case I'm thinking of a checked (though nowhere near as loudly) Savile Row bespoke jacket from 1965. It fits like sex but I'm struggling to find pants that go perfectly with it (gray flannel seems to be the only thing I can get to work with it).
Getting the sleeves shortened at the moment, but the one night I wore it I got a lot of favorable comments about looking like I was a British actor from the 1960's. Granted most of the people were drunk and Koreans have some odd standards for fashion...
Regardless, a decades old look is obviously really difficult to pull off, and when it fails its fails miserably...but if you get the fit and the combination right, you look better than any equivalent recent trends (though obviously the classic looks...whatever they may be...are excluded from that comparison).
To follow up:
Re-read Ianiceman's post...saw that he was referring to a specific decade of checked coats, not just checked coats of past decades. So I should clarify that the boat is having an odd jacket that you really like but are struggling to come up with coherent combinations for. Anyway, here is mine, Sullivan and Woolley, 1965:
Found myself wishing I had a wool navy tie when I realized that I did, in fact, have one. Ended up going with donegal rather than flannel trousers and I think it worked...but the options are clearly very limited with this jacket. Tie, shirt, and pants...I struggle to match all of these with it. Really looking forward to getting it back from having the sleeves shortened.post #44061 of 787221/25/13 at 4:36amI like hard three jackets Clags. This one looks a bit boxy due to the closed quarters but the more subdued pattern and sixties cut makes it infinitely more easy on the eye than the horrific broad check things that seem to get so highly praised by a contingent on here.post #44062 of 787221/25/13 at 5:36amQuote:
Swap out jeans for black, charcoal, midnight, navy, or brown trousers; worsted or twill.
Keep sweater or swap for same style in black, charcoal, navy, or brown.
Match sweater/jumper to trousers or not. If not, keep a bit lighter in tone than trousers; e.g, charcoal or navy sweater with black or espresso brown trousers.
Stay away from burgundy trousers and sweaters, that jacket is too bold already. So, wear nothing that will pull a color out of that jacket, unless the color is navy or brown, the darker, the better.
Swap shirt for solid blue from pale to robin egg; possibly even French or Prussian blue, if sweater is black.
If shirt is pale blue, consider wearing a solid navy faille or grossgrain bowtie, but only if wearing a v-neck sweater/jumper. No sweater, no bowtie, but a black knit or Grenadine four-in-hand one instead.
In fact, if you do not wear the sweater, you must wear a black or navy tie; preferably knit or Grenadine, to tame that jacket.
Keep shoes the same or replace with black suede or calf; your call.
Let the jacket talk and keep everything else quiet by making everything else as monochromatic as possible, except for your shirt, which should be lighter than sweater/jumper.
In summer, try cream summer weight flannels with cream socks and white bucks. Change shirt to white or pale blue linen and wear with a black knit tie and a white Panama hat. If it is smoking hot, lose the tie and keep the hat.
Too bad the jacket lapels are not bolder with slightly lower gorge, then the jacket would be timeless.
Until you tire of it, rock it like a boss!!post #44063 of 787221/25/13 at 5:40ampost #44064 of 787221/25/13 at 5:49amQuote:
Thanks for the heads up.
Since the jacket is already not "SF Friendly", black is the correct color choice.
It is way past time to appease the natives, and it looks like he is all out of bubblegum,post #44065 of 787221/25/13 at 5:59ampost #44066 of 787221/25/13 at 6:30amQuote:
BMW F30 Sport Line?!Quote:
I guess he is frenchpost #44067 of 787221/25/13 at 6:34ampost #44068 of 787221/25/13 at 6:45amQuote:
I love being part of a contingent.post #44069 of 787221/25/13 at 7:18ampost #44070 of 787221/25/13 at 7:32am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 8 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 16 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 24 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments Navy Duck Fatigue Pants - Brand New 2 minutes ago
- › Cowboy boots 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › RARE!!! MINT Pal Zileri SARTORIALE Ostrich Leather Jacket Tagged US... 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays