Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/14/11 at 9:21am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/31/12 at 5:14pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 1/30/13 at 10:57pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Edited on 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Edited on 5/31/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- Cedarville Store
- Crane's Country Store
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Four Horsemen Shop
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Mes Chausettes Rouges
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Tanner Goods/Woodlands Supply
- Tate + Yoko
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Tiberias Clothing
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2938
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
SpooPoker Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ianGP Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Poor pics - in a rush
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Claghorn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Suit - BB GF
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
PS - PRL
Cufflinks - David Donahue via Cable Car Clothiers, SF
Shoes - Bexley, Paris
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason, London
Hat - Selentino
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
[quote name="Ianiceman" url="/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/44040#post_6079248"]
What boat is that? One that set sail in 1973 and has yet to make landfall?
Sorry chaps but these huge broad check jackets may get you praise from a handful of virgins on the internet but in the real world people are wondering why you are wearing clothes from the decade that style forgot.[/quote]
In this case I'm thinking of a checked (though nowhere near as loudly) Savile Row bespoke jacket from 1965. It fits like sex but I'm struggling to find pants that go perfectly with it (gray flannel seems to be the only thing I can get to work with it).
Getting the sleeves shortened at the moment, but the one night I wore it I got a lot of favorable comments about looking like I was a British actor from the 1960's. Granted most of the people were drunk and Koreans have some odd standards for fashion...
Regardless, a decades old look is obviously really difficult to pull off, and when it fails its fails miserably...but if you get the fit and the combination right, you look better than any equivalent recent trends (though obviously the classic looks...whatever they may be...are excluded from that comparison).
To follow up:
Re-read Ianiceman's post...saw that he was referring to a specific decade of checked coats, not just checked coats of past decades. So I should clarify that the boat is having an odd jacket that you really like but are struggling to come up with coherent combinations for. Anyway, here is mine, Sullivan and Woolley, 1965:
Found myself wishing I had a wool navy tie when I realized that I did, in fact, have one. Ended up going with donegal rather than flannel trousers and I think it worked...but the options are clearly very limited with this jacket. Tie, shirt, and pants...I struggle to match all of these with it. Really looking forward to getting it back from having the sleeves shortened.
Swap out jeans for black, charcoal, midnight, navy, or brown trousers; worsted or twill.
Keep sweater or swap for same style in black, charcoal, navy, or brown.
Match sweater/jumper to trousers or not. If not, keep a bit lighter in tone than trousers; e.g, charcoal or navy sweater with black or espresso brown trousers.
Stay away from burgundy trousers and sweaters, that jacket is too bold already. So, wear nothing that will pull a color out of that jacket, unless the color is navy or brown, the darker, the better.
Swap shirt for solid blue from pale to robin egg; possibly even French or Prussian blue, if sweater is black.
If shirt is pale blue, consider wearing a solid navy faille or grossgrain bowtie, but only if wearing a v-neck sweater/jumper. No sweater, no bowtie, but a black knit or Grenadine four-in-hand one instead.
In fact, if you do not wear the sweater, you must wear a black or navy tie; preferably knit or Grenadine, to tame that jacket.
Keep shoes the same or replace with black suede or calf; your call.
Let the jacket talk and keep everything else quiet by making everything else as monochromatic as possible, except for your shirt, which should be lighter than sweater/jumper.
In summer, try cream summer weight flannels with cream socks and white bucks. Change shirt to white or pale blue linen and wear with a black knit tie and a white Panama hat. If it is smoking hot, lose the tie and keep the hat.
Too bad the jacket lapels are not bolder with slightly lower gorge, then the jacket would be timeless.
Until you tire of it, rock it like a boss!!
Thanks for the heads up.
Since the jacket is already not "SF Friendly", black is the correct color choice.
It is way past time to appease the natives, and it looks like he is all out of bubblegum,
BMW F30 Sport Line?!
I guess he is french
I love being part of a contingent.
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 46 seconds ago
- › Bespoke shoes from Shanghai - Jack Peng (all goodyear welted,... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 8 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 12 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 14 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 15 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 16 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 23 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 24 minutes ago
- › Kiton Napoli WearRight Dark Green Soft suede Loafers 11.5 *Handmade* by BearBindell
- › Red Wing Men's 6" Iron Ranger Boot by ranger21
- › Alfred Sargent Moore by Harrydog
- › Bright orange green paisley pattern silk tie by Holtemor
- › Allen-Edmonds Men's Leeds Oxfords,Black,10 C by trouble
- › Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold 2-Button Wool Suit by JJTV
- › Frye Men's Wallace Oxford by RandyE
- › Momotaro 702 (15.7 oz, Deep Indigo) by El Argentino
- › J. Crew Ludlow by collin9338
- › To Boot New York Men's Sawyer Boot,Parma Doc Teak 432,9.5 M US by baronbvp
- › Style Icon - Brian Trunzo by hollypowell
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Outerwear) by alyssaw