or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2935  

post #44011 of 78723



post #44012 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

sugarbutch_foofed1.jpg

 

great job on those patch pockets.

 

agree 100% on the lapel, pocket square pocket overlap.

post #44013 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Poor pics - in a rush frown.gif


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Suit - Ermengildo Zegna
Shirt - Dolce & Gabbana mainline
Tie - Cesare Attolini
Boots - Borrelli
PS - Kent Wang

I've got nothin on the PP and AP diver frown.gif

 

I can't help but wonder how much more sophisticated this outfit would look if the watch was a thin dress watch with leather strap.

 

I am sure it's your favorite watch, but I see no difference between wearing a sports watch with a suit and replacing your dress shoes [or in this case, dress boots] with tennis shoes.

 

It is the same idea and creates the same image; one that is not harmonious.

post #44014 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite View Post

I am sure it's your favorite watch, but I see no difference between wearing a sports watch with a suit and replacing your dress shoes [or in this case, dress boots] with tennis shoes.

While I agree that a more elegant watch would have benefited this look, let's not exaggerate.
post #44015 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


While I agree that a more elegant watch would have benefited this look, let's not exaggerate.

 

I didn't.

 

Intriguing that you failed to quote the explanation I gave of criticism: "It is the same idea and creates the same image; one that is not harmonious."

 

Wearing such a watch with a suit is a disharmonious look. There is nothing about that idea that is an exaggeration.

 

The idea that the disharmony is no different than the disharmony created by wearing tennis shoes with a suit is not hyperbole, much less an exaggeration..

 

But you are entitled to your opinion as well.

 

I usually find such opinions are often based strictly on the cost of a item and not how IT LOOKS. Correct me if I am wrong.

 

FYI: this is a SPORTS WATCH and should be worn with SPORTSWEAR not a suit or dinner jacket:

 

 

I am sure that millions will prove me wrong every day by wearing something because they can and not because it looks good on them or it's correct.

post #44016 of 78723
My point is that wearing tennis shoes with a suit is far, far, far worse than wearing a diving watch with a suit. One is absurd. The other, just not quite "right" but still well within the realm of reason.
post #44017 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

SB - I don't have a problem with any perceived incongruity between your shoes and other items, but I think the cut of that jacket is not the best for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Datum: The baristas at my regular morning cafe found this outfit worthy of compliments. One was particularly struck by the tie. Go figure. Still, while I don't dress to elicit comments from them, I don't mind when attractive women like what I'm wearing. smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



S., sorry to say, but that jacket is not good. The cut, with the high buttoning stance and skinny lapels, makes it look like you are wearing a cropped lab coat.

Note another problem with skinny lapels: they leave your breast pocket dangling in empty space. Some overlap is preferred.

Unbel and Foo, I concur with all of the above points. This jacket is pre-StyFo, and it shows. It even has novelty colored "buttonholes" on the sleeves. I particularly agree with the point about lapel/breast pocket overlap. The irony for me is that I've found that the 3/2.5 PRL suits fit me better than most other RTW options, are available at substantially less than retail on a regular basis, and have little-to-no lapel/breast pocket overlap. I have accepted that sour note to get the better fit, but it tweaks me if I think about it too much.

All that said, I still enjoy wearing this jacket! I can't defend it, but it's true. I haven't been able to find a better-cut replacement in a similar fabric, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

I bet sugarbutch doesn't own anything navy either.

there, NOBD just dropped dead.

smile.gif He does have lots of grey, which is great and which looks great on him.

fistbump.gif I picked up a navy herringbone suit last year which I quite like, and I have a solid navy at the tailor right now for alterations. I think it was JapanAlex who asked several months ago (disparagingly, I think) whether I wore anything other than gray. I guess it must be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Whoops. I forgot that I have some crappy chocolate suede Bass chukkas. Sorry for the false alarm. But, still open to taking donations toward an upgrade.
fistbump.gif

srs, if i had the dough, id wire you five hundo right now.

biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

sugarbutch_foofed1.jpg

I feel like I've been inducted into an exclusive club. I like the patch pockets.
post #44018 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite View Post

FYI: this is a SPORTS WATCH and should be worn with SPORTSWEAR not a suit or dinner jacket:


Correction: That watch should not be worn, period.
post #44019 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

My point is that wearing tennis shoes with a suit is far, far, far worse than wearing a diving watch with a suit. One is absurd. The other, just not quite "right" but still well within the realm of reason.

Exactly, recondite is picking the fly shit out of the pepper on this.
post #44020 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

My point is that wearing tennis shoes with a suit is far, far, far worse than wearing a diving watch with a suit. One is absurd. The other, just not quite "right" but still well within the realm of reason.

 

I see, so there is a range of disharmony where some is acceptable and the balance intolerable?

 

Well, I guess I don't have as wide a range as as yourself.

 

The wearing a dive watch with a lounge suit, might seem absurd to the same degree as tennis shoes to some [me included].

 

I am content if we agree in principle but will continue to disagree upon the particulars such as the range of disharmony which might be acceptable, since I find only harmonious compositions appealing and therefore acceptable.

 

Cheers!

post #44021 of 78723
another note, a fine watch when seen in person is always clearly more than just a watch. and for me, it is that touch of quality and fine finishing, that allows a fine watch, even a sometimes sportier one, to still work with a suit.

(no i dont mean every single high end sports watches, i am talking within reason, please do not anyone bend my words)
post #44022 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post


Exactly, recondite is picking the fly shit out of the pepper on this.

 

A suitable metaphor only if the caca de la mosca is the size of a Rolex in real life.

 

We agree in principle that disharmony is both present and visible.

 

You would like to attack my position by pretending that the disharmony is insignificant, even while it is visible. 

 

However, your metaphor that implies the disharmony is neither significant nor visible.

 

You can do better, no doubt, but why would you attack an opinion based on something that is entirely visible?

post #44023 of 78723
I didn't imply anything. I stated, utilizing an exemplary metaphor, you are being very picky regarding an excellent looking outfit. Your position, read opinion, was never attacked. This disharmony is only visible to those who search for things in the realm of minutia. Which further supports my statement. You're picking the fly shit out of the pepper.
post #44024 of 78723
guys, guys...... it's a 'time piece' nest.gif








biggrin.gif









I feel the connotation 'diver' has moved from the Submariner over to the Sea-Dweller and DSSD's (Rolex geekspeak)
Granted the sub is still categorized as diver, I feel it's ok to be used in substitute of a dress watch - though not entirely the same.

I'll have to disagree with the tennis shoes/dress shoes thingy. Yes, there are those HUGE over-sized, fashion forward, blingtastic neon-colored watches and I can see the correlation you reference there... however in the context of the submariner vs a thin dress watch with a leather strap..... we're talking C&J's vs G&G's (maybe even Carminas wink.gif )
post #44025 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

I didn't imply anything. I stated, utilizing an exemplary metaphor, you are being very picky regarding an excellent looking outfit. Your position, read opinion, was never attacked. This disharmony is only visible to those who search for things in the realm of minutia. Which further supports my statement. You're picking the fly shit out of the pepper.


No worries.

 

I understand. But you do understand that you are implying that your argument was ad hominem, or against me, and not against my position?

 

I find no offense in this, just curious about why you would make that clarification, since we are discussing an idea and not my suitability as a presenter of ideas, or did I get this wrong?

 

Again, just curious, not offended.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III