Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:38 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2935post #44011 of 787221/24/13 at 2:34pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #44012 of 787221/24/13 at 2:41pmpost #44013 of 787221/24/13 at 2:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by ianGP
Poor pics - in a rush
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I can't help but wonder how much more sophisticated this outfit would look if the watch was a thin dress watch with leather strap.
I am sure it's your favorite watch, but I see no difference between wearing a sports watch with a suit and replacing your dress shoes [or in this case, dress boots] with tennis shoes.
It is the same idea and creates the same image; one that is not harmonious.post #44014 of 787221/24/13 at 2:53pmQuote:
While I agree that a more elegant watch would have benefited this look, let's not exaggerate.post #44015 of 787221/24/13 at 3:13pmQuote:
Intriguing that you failed to quote the explanation I gave of criticism: "It is the same idea and creates the same image; one that is not harmonious."
Wearing such a watch with a suit is a disharmonious look. There is nothing about that idea that is an exaggeration.
The idea that the disharmony is no different than the disharmony created by wearing tennis shoes with a suit is not hyperbole, much less an exaggeration..
But you are entitled to your opinion as well.
I usually find such opinions are often based strictly on the cost of a item and not how IT LOOKS. Correct me if I am wrong.
FYI: this is a SPORTS WATCH and should be worn with SPORTSWEAR not a suit or dinner jacket:
I am sure that millions will prove me wrong every day by wearing something because they can and not because it looks good on them or it's correct.post #44016 of 787221/24/13 at 3:21pmpost #44017 of 787221/24/13 at 3:32pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by mafoofanQuote:Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Datum: The baristas at my regular morning cafe found this outfit worthy of compliments. One was particularly struck by the tie. Go figure. Still, while I don't dress to elicit comments from them, I don't mind when attractive women like what I'm wearing.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
S., sorry to say, but that jacket is not good. The cut, with the high buttoning stance and skinny lapels, makes it look like you are wearing a cropped lab coat.
Note another problem with skinny lapels: they leave your breast pocket dangling in empty space. Some overlap is preferred.
Unbel and Foo, I concur with all of the above points. This jacket is pre-StyFo, and it shows. It even has novelty colored "buttonholes" on the sleeves. I particularly agree with the point about lapel/breast pocket overlap. The irony for me is that I've found that the 3/2.5 PRL suits fit me better than most other RTW options, are available at substantially less than retail on a regular basis, and have little-to-no lapel/breast pocket overlap. I have accepted that sour note to get the better fit, but it tweaks me if I think about it too much.
All that said, I still enjoy wearing this jacket! I can't defend it, but it's true. I haven't been able to find a better-cut replacement in a similar fabric, either.Quote:
I picked up a navy herringbone suit last year which I quite like, and I have a solid navy at the tailor right now for alterations. I think it was JapanAlex who asked several months ago (disparagingly, I think) whether I wore anything other than gray. I guess it must be true.Quote:
I feel like I've been inducted into an exclusive club. I like the patch pockets.post #44018 of 787221/24/13 at 3:34pmpost #44019 of 787221/24/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
Exactly, recondite is picking the fly shit out of the pepper on this.post #44020 of 787221/24/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
I see, so there is a range of disharmony where some is acceptable and the balance intolerable?
Well, I guess I don't have as wide a range as as yourself.
The wearing a dive watch with a lounge suit, might seem absurd to the same degree as tennis shoes to some [me included].
I am content if we agree in principle but will continue to disagree upon the particulars such as the range of disharmony which might be acceptable, since I find only harmonious compositions appealing and therefore acceptable.
Cheers!post #44021 of 787221/24/13 at 3:50pmanother note, a fine watch when seen in person is always clearly more than just a watch. and for me, it is that touch of quality and fine finishing, that allows a fine watch, even a sometimes sportier one, to still work with a suit.
(no i dont mean every single high end sports watches, i am talking within reason, please do not anyone bend my words)post #44022 of 787221/24/13 at 3:59pmQuote:
A suitable metaphor only if the caca de la mosca is the size of a Rolex in real life.
We agree in principle that disharmony is both present and visible.
You would like to attack my position by pretending that the disharmony is insignificant, even while it is visible.
However, your metaphor that implies the disharmony is neither significant nor visible.
You can do better, no doubt, but why would you attack an opinion based on something that is entirely visible?post #44023 of 787221/24/13 at 4:28pmI didn't imply anything. I stated, utilizing an exemplary metaphor, you are being very picky regarding an excellent looking outfit. Your position, read opinion, was never attacked. This disharmony is only visible to those who search for things in the realm of minutia. Which further supports my statement. You're picking the fly shit out of the pepper.post #44024 of 787221/24/13 at 4:33pmguys, guys...... it's a 'time piece'
I feel the connotation 'diver' has moved from the Submariner over to the Sea-Dweller and DSSD's (Rolex geekspeak)
Granted the sub is still categorized as diver, I feel it's ok to be used in substitute of a dress watch - though not entirely the same.
I'll have to disagree with the tennis shoes/dress shoes thingy. Yes, there are those HUGE over-sized, fashion forward, blingtastic neon-colored watches and I can see the correlation you reference there... however in the context of the submariner vs a thin dress watch with a leather strap..... we're talking C&J's vs G&G's (maybe even Carminas )post #44025 of 787221/24/13 at 4:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by IrateCustomer
I didn't imply anything. I stated, utilizing an exemplary metaphor, you are being very picky regarding an excellent looking outfit. Your position, read opinion, was never attacked. This disharmony is only visible to those who search for things in the realm of minutia. Which further supports my statement. You're picking the fly shit out of the pepper.
I understand. But you do understand that you are implying that your argument was ad hominem, or against me, and not against my position?
I find no offense in this, just curious about why you would make that clarification, since we are discussing an idea and not my suitability as a presenter of ideas, or did I get this wrong?
Again, just curious, not offended.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Anyone else feel cold when wearing dress shirts? 16 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 6 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › Stained Trickers boots 8 minutes ago
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...