or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2924  

post #43846 of 78723

A lot of dislike for what M0bbie put together but I will say this, one bright spot is that each individual item looks pretty good, it's the matching that isn't on point. It's just a matter of matching the right piece to the right piece and you will be rocking it.

post #43847 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

A lot of dislike for what M0bbie put together but I will say this, one bright spot is that each individual item looks pretty good, it's the matching that isn't on point. It's just a matter of matching the right piece to the right piece and you will be rocking it.

This is very true.
post #43848 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bbie View Post

I have a, how should I say, terrible sense of matching a tie... Is there any link that I could use to learn more about the matching patterns? Thanks.

yes, right here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/308035/on-pattern-coordination-between-jacket-shirt-tie/0_20

read from that thread, keep trying new things and posting. take note, like literally take notes on a paper or computer doc, if you need to to remember, of the advise you are given, and try to build on it. do that and you will see definite improvement.
post #43849 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I understand this is a casual outfit, but for exactly that reason, a non-white shirt would be infinitely better. A blue OCBD would have been perfect. And casual or not, those shoes are godawful.

Pocket square tip: poof it so there is only one hump.

Thanks foo. I wore my blue ocbd yesterday, but I literally thought that exact thought this morning as I chose my shirt.

You don't like my Indy boots? I saw snow on the forecast today, hence their presence. I have some suede long wings en route. Next time my feet will be shod with those.

Thanks again
post #43850 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

A lot of dislike for what M0bbie put together but I will say this, one bright spot is that each individual item looks pretty good, it's the matching that isn't on point. It's just a matter of matching the right piece to the right piece and you will be rocking it.

Yes, but selecting nice looking things is the easy part. As has been said a thousand times, one of the biggest problems with this thread is the emphasis on collecting cool-looking stuff over dressing well.
post #43851 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Yes, but selecting nice looking things is the easy part. As has said a thousand times, one of the biggest problems with this thread is the emphasis on collecting cool-looking stuff over dressing well.

 

Admittedly.

post #43852 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrockss View Post

Thanks foo. I wore my blue ocbd yesterday, but I literally thought that exact thought this morning as I chose my shirt.

You don't like my Indy boots? I saw snow on the forecast today, hence their presence. I have some suede long wings en route. Next time my feet will be shod with those.

Thanks again

No prob. I guess I just don't like Indy boots then. They look super clumsy. I have no idea why they are such forum darlings.

I think I have one white OCBD that I got way back in college when I went on an OCBD binge and bought one of each possible color. You'd think something that sounds like such a staple would be more useful--and maybe it was in another era--but it's actually quite dissonant today. White implies the most formal on the spectrum of business formal, yet a buttondown collar is at the most casual end.
post #43853 of 78723
I have on a white BD today and wore one to dinner Sunday smile.gif
post #43854 of 78723
I guess it was too high up for me to notice. frown.gif
post #43855 of 78723
I basically agree that it is not that useful and I actually no longer have one in real oxford, mine is pinpoint. I have a thing about "white at night" and I really don't like a spread collar with odd jackets, so this this a good shirt for a weekend or holiday dinner out. As for today, I dressed like a 1950s college prof on purpose, so it's correct in context.

In HS and college the white OCBD was my go-to shirt and stuck with it in my early working days. That was a long time ago, of course, when the last embers of "trad'--before it became an internet thing--were still smoldernig in Northern California.
post #43856 of 78723
If you ever wanted to go Thom Browne, I bet you could wear one with your tux too.
post #43857 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

No prob. I guess I just don't like Indy boots then. They look super clumsy. I have no idea why they are such forum darlings.

I think I have one white OCBD that I got way back in college when I went on an OCBD binge and bought one of each possible color. You'd think something that sounds like such a staple would be more useful--and maybe it was in another era--but it's actually quite dissonant today. White implies the most formal on the spectrum of business formal, yet a buttondown collar is at the most casual end.

I think the Indy boot thing is kind of along the lines of that weird junction of "American Heritage" and "#Menswear" 2-3 years ago when places like J.Crew were pairing Made-in-the-USA Red Wing boots with suits in their catalogues. I don't think they're forum darlings as much anymore, but I'm glad to own them for their utility and quality.

I'd like to get maybe one or two more shades of blue OCBD—I wear them a lot, I find, and it'd be nice to have maybe a lighter shade to mix it up (or when I want to wear a blue OCBD back to back).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I have on a white BD today and wore one to dinner Sunday smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I basically agree that it is not that useful and I actually no longer have one in real oxford, mine is pinpoint. I have a thing about "white at night" and I really don't like a spread collar with odd jackets, so this this a good shirt for a weekend or holiday dinner out. As for today, I dressed like a 1950s college prof on purpose, so it's correct in context.
In HS and college the white OCBD was my go-to shirt and stuck with it in my early working days. That was a long time ago, of course, when the last embers of "trad'--before it became an internet thing--were still smoldernig in Northern California.

Until, oh, 5-6 months ago, I'd have never given a thought at all to wearing a white OCBD with anything I wanted. Then I read in some thread your admonishment that white, being more formal, makes it an odd duck and therefore it doesn't pair well with casual outfits (like, say, a gunclub jacket with suede elbow patches). Now, I can never forget that injunction and feel a little bit off when I wear it with anything but a navy blazer and black knit tie or something.

Darn you Manton! (and by that I mean thank you)
post #43858 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

If you ever wanted to go Thom Browne, I bet you could wear one with your tux too.
According to Flusser, this is done in hoity-toity New England circles, but I have never seen it. never worn black tie in NE either.
post #43859 of 78723
But Thom has gone all cutaway spread this season!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


http://www.wwd.com/runway/mens-fall-collections-2013/review/thom-browne
Edited by FlaneurNYC - 1/23/13 at 12:39pm
post #43860 of 78723
not speaking to mossrocks fit in specific. certainly the blue OCBD is going to be the general choice of preference in a casual outfit, but sometimes, a white OCBD adds a level of brightness that i think is quite nice in the right outfit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III