or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2915  

post #43711 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Has it not occurred to you that the very quality you deride might be sought by others?

seriously? have you never read a foo.gif thread before???
post #43712 of 78723
nest.gif
post #43713 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

It just comes down to working appropriately with the material at hand. It makes sense to fold linen because it is sharp, crisp, and holds itself up. Silk, in contrast, is soft and floppy. Folding it works against its nature--and it shows. It will never look sharp and rigid, so the folds never look nice.

I'm not as harsh in my judgement as mafoofan, but aesthetically I agree that silk does not work as well folded. I think he is on to something when he says that the best looking shape often follows the nature of the fabric.
post #43714 of 78723
When it comes to something as frivolous as a hank, I'm inclined to let the fellas do as they please. If they are pleased by pocket parachutes, or silky edges, or exploding flops, let them have their fun.
post #43715 of 78723

 

I think we can all agree that this is the best way to wear a PS.

post #43716 of 78723
Look, I can somewhat understand the belligerence toward rules. However, rules are often expressions of decent reasoning. Even more often, whatever practices you put in place of them are no improvement.

In this case, it is not simply that there is a "rule" against folding non-linen squares. In fact, I have never read or heard of such a thing. It is a matter of reasoning based on my observation, experience, and knowledge. If you think it makes sense to fold material that doesn't fold well and doesn't need to be folded, obviously no one will pull you over and arrest you. However, to those of us who have tread the same path, it will look like you don't know how to stuff a square. Maybe in an alternate reality where aesthetics are unlinked to sensibility and know-how, you shouldn't care about this. But that's not our reality. That you're all here wearing jackets, ties, and pocket squares is powerful evidence of that.
post #43717 of 78723
Yesterday morning, in San Diego (Coronado)—linen. 80°F Today, in Cincinnati—lambswool. 15°F
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #43718 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I'm sorry--who are you?

Im derek. I that was pretty obvious. Also a free thinker...god forbid right?
post #43719 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

Im derek. I that was pretty obvious. Also a free thinker...god forbid right?

Any idiot can break rules. It takes a capable and willing mind to truly grapple with them. There, you fail miserably.
post #43720 of 78723

Moss,

 

*sigh* I miss Coronado. Love the MOP buttons. Perfect for a Navy linen jacket in San Diego weather.

post #43721 of 78723
moss, I like the pants, may I ask who sells them?
post #43722 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Any idiot can break rules. It takes a capable and willing mind to truly grapple with them. There, you fail miserably.

awe. no need to be so harsh foo. Its unbecoming for a man of your stature.
post #43723 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Moss,

*sigh* I miss Coronado. Love the MOP buttons. Perfect for a Navy linen jacket in San Diego weather.

thanks! this is the easiest jacket in the world to wear—super casual, super broken in, just wonderful (and it was only like $80).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

moss, I like the pants, may I ask who sells them?

They're from J.Crew c.2008, when their pants were of a higher quality. They're flannel, fully lined, sturdy wool. Their current pants (bowery), I find to be of a flimsier, almost stretchy wool, though I like the cut of them more than these.
post #43724 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrockss View Post

thanks! this is the easiest jacket in the world to wear—super casual, super broken in, just wonderful (and it was only like $80).
They're from J.Crew c.2008, when their pants were of a higher quality. They're flannel, fully lined, sturdy wool. Their current pants (bowery), I find to be of a flimsier, almost stretchy wool, though I like the cut of them more than these.

Agree on the jcrew wool being flimsier. Ive been pleased with the bowery classic fit but the fabric leaves a lot to be desired...but then again i cant complain too much when theyre so cheap.

the jacket looks fantastic. Navy with white buttons is my favorite.
post #43725 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Look, I can somewhat understand the belligerence toward rules. However, rules are often expressions of decent reasoning. Even more often, whatever practices you put in place of them are no improvement.

In this case, it is not simply that there is a "rule" against folding non-linen squares. In fact, I have never read or heard of such a thing. It is a matter of reasoning based on my observation, experience, and knowledge. If you think it makes sense to fold material that doesn't fold well and doesn't need to be folded, obviously no one will pull you over and arrest you. However, to those of us who have tread the same path, it will look like you don't know how to stuff a square. Maybe in an alternate reality where aesthetics are unlinked to sensibility and know-how, you shouldn't care about this. But that's not our reality. That you're all here wearing jackets, ties, and pocket squares is powerful evidence of that.

I actually agree with this as a general principle.

Foo, I have a question about the coat. Why are your buttons not horizontal? Is that because of the way you're standing or is that a flaw of the coat? It looks like your left side is drooping down. I'm only nit picking because I assume this is a bespoke item, so it seemed strange.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III