or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2858  

post #42856 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotune View Post

Thanks for comments/feedback, guys!
Today: Snow Day

 

This is a great picture - SF admin would be crazy if they didn't put this on the new front page...


Concur; it's beautiful snap. He's nuts to be out in the snow without a coat/etc though! biggrin.gif

 

In general, there's some really nice stuff posted in this thread over the past 24-48 hours. Maybe the site refresh - or the new year - has inspired a few people with their own look too.

 

 

 

 

First day back in a tie since before Xmas... easing myself back in with a casual one. wink.gif

 

post #42857 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post


uhoh.gif
A pinstriped suit jacket as odd jacket is a recipe for failure. When paired with jeans this effect is only magnified, I'm afraid.
This would have been quite nice with the matching pants, but is full of fail with jeans. Keep structured-shoulder suit jackets with their pants.

 

I think the fact that they are jeans, rather than dress trousers or even chinos, saves the look from being a failure. Such casual trousers make obvious that this is a "fashion-forward" look, rather than a "my suit trousers are at the cleaners" look.

 

While it's not a look I would try to do (not even remotely), I usually like Kappelan's fits for what they are.


Edited by RDiaz - 1/8/13 at 10:08am
post #42858 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

I think the fact that they are jeans, rather than dress trousers or even chinos, saves the look from being a failure. Such casual trousers make obvious that this is a "fashion-forward" look, rather than a "my suit trousers are at the cleaners" look.

While it's not a look I would try to do (not even remotely), I usually like Kappelan's fits for what they are.

I would agree with this had the jacket/shirt/tie/square/shoes any stand-alone flavor. Unfortunately, he's paired a very conservative, sedate, business-like combination with jeans. To me it looks exactly like he spilled something on his pants and grabbed jeans on the way out of the house.

I will also say justifying anything as "fashion-forward" is a slippery slope. IMO you can be fashion-forward or business-dress conscious. When you mix the two (as Kap as done here), you get confusion and discord.
post #42859 of 78723

I'd agree, but both the tie and shirt are something I wouldn't wear with a conservative business outfit. That tie is way too casual, and the shirt fabric doesn't look very conservative either (is it washed Oxford or do I see a self-stripe?)

The only discordant element is the jacket and to me that makes it obvious it was a conscious choice. Had the tie been a silk print, and the shirt a light blue or white poplin, I'd agree with you.

post #42860 of 78723

I got a shearling coat and in the pocket was this bag.  The spare button (made of horn), and a piece of waxy board.

 

What is this board used for?  

 

700

post #42861 of 78723
^ It's tailor's chalk for marking alterations.
post #42862 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyork View Post

I got a shearling coat and in the pocket was this bag.  The spare button (made of horn), and a piece of waxy board.

What is this board used for?  

700

Any pics posted of the shearling?
post #42863 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

^ It's tailor's chalk for marking alterations.

 

That's interesting and that's what I thought also, but I'm 99% sure it's not tailor's chalk, because it doesn't mark cloth when I try to "write" with it.

It's waxy, almost like dried sheep's fat (!!).  Also, the surface feels like the inner surace of a wedge of (real) Parmegiano reggiano.  very gnarled.  The coat is lamb's leather on the outside and shearling (lambfur) on the inside.  Maybe it's used to remove lint from shearling?  Or to remove stains from leather?

 

Also, I can't take it out of that little plastic bag, so it could simply be something to keep the bag intact, ie.  if you take it out, you rip the plastic bag, and can't return, or some nonsense like that.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post


Any pics posted of the shearling?

 

I will be doing so shortly :)  

post #42864 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyork View Post

That's interesting and that's what I thought also, but I'm 99% sure it's not tailor's chalk, because it doesn't mark cloth when I try to "write" with it.
It's waxy, almost like dried sheep's fat (!!).  Also, the surface feels like the inner surace of a wedge of (real) Parmegiano reggiano.  very gnarled.  The coat is lamb's leather on the outside and shearling (lambfur) on the inside.  Maybe it's used to remove lint from shearling?  Or to remove stains from leather?

Also, I can't take it out of that little plastic bag, so it could simply be something to keep the bag intact, ie.  if you take it out, you rip the plastic bag, and can't return, or some nonsense like that.

d00d - he's joking.

It's not chalk for doing you own alterations on what I imagine was a fairly expensive coat.
post #42865 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyork View Post

That's interesting and that's what I thought also, but I'm 99% sure it's not tailor's chalk, because it doesn't mark cloth when I try to "write" with it.
It's waxy, almost like dried sheep's fat (!!).  Also, the surface feels like the inner surace of a wedge of (real) Parmegiano reggiano.  very gnarled.  The coat is lamb's leather on the outside and shearling (lambfur) on the inside.  Maybe it's used to remove lint from shearling?  Or to remove stains from leather?

Also, I can't take it out of that little plastic bag, so it could simply be something to keep the bag intact, ie.  if you take it out, you rip the plastic bag, and can't return, or some nonsense like that.




I will be doing so shortly smile.gif  

The object in the bag with the spare button sounds very much like a gum eraser, which would indeed be used to remove minor stains from the coat - much in the way that a similar object was sold to me to clean my white bucks.
post #42866 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post


d00d - he's joking.
It's not chalk for doing you own alterations on what I imagine was a fairly expensive coat.


I do not believe he was joking.  I understand that good quality tailor's chalk is indeed waxy, and shaped like that:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-48-PCS-White-Tailors-Chalk-Sewing-Tailoring-Garment-/181049015379

 

But I agree, I am not an idiot to attempt my own alterations on an expensive coat :)

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


The object in the bag with the spare button sounds very much like a gum eraser, which would indeed be used to remove minor stains from the coat - much in the way that a similar object was sold to me to clean my white bucks.
 

This is my guess also.  Now, would you know of where I can find out how to use it, a website or anything?  I can't find anything in my google attempts.

post #42867 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

d00d - he's joking.
It's not chalk for doing you own alterations on what I imagine was a fairly expensive coat.

Wasn't joking, though I'm not embarassed to be wrong. It looks like chalk and was described similarly. You know as well as I do that nice suits and coats often come with buttons and sometimes even buttonhole twist, even though nobody expects the average joe to sew their own buttonholes.


Here's me today:

IMG_1464.jpgIMG_1465.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpg

Saks chesterfield
Southwick suit
BBGF shirt
Rubinacci tie (thanks ocooney!)
J&M shoes
post #42868 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

The object in the bag with the spare button sounds very much like a gum eraser, which would indeed be used to remove minor stains from the coat - much in the way that a similar object was sold to me to clean my white bucks.

i have one too. have proved to be very useful.
post #42869 of 78723
Just testing the photo upload function. A step if you will to posting some more
IMG_0778.jpg
post #42870 of 78723
Wednesday morning





Suit: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork light blue poplin
Tie: Henry Carter printed silk 7 fold
Square: Henry Carter Irish linen
Shoes: Carmina brown captoe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III