Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/14/11 at 9:21am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 12/2/13 at 4:49pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2516
Styleforum Top Picks
With respect: if u wore this suit to where I'm from, people would laugh at you and would think you're a clown.
If you wore this suit to court, the jury would be completely biased and u would lose the case before opening arguments.
I don't give a fuck how much it's worth. U need to tell us what u do for a living.
Also, u have big balls for showing ur face wearing that suit on the Internet. Props!
As every successful man you can wear whatever you want and don't give a fuck about people who laugh about you.
If you run the daily rat race then you have to give a fuck, sorry for you.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
This was my original post:
This is my first post on sf...since it always comes up when I google my fashion questions, I figured I might as well join. This is a suit I wore yesterday to a medical conference (I'm a student in the US going for my MD, so I figured I better start dressing like a doctor soon). I wasn't going for anything fancy or flashy, I was just trying to wear a decent fitting suit and looks like I know what I'm doing.
A couple disclaimers: I know the top button on the suit is pulling a little bit. That's mostly because I have my hands in my pockets. The way the jacket hangs on my right side is the way the whole thing looks when I stand normally (i.e. no pulling)...HOWEVER, I have gained 10+ pounds since having it tailored, so it fits snugger than it should. Too snug perhaps?
This is a suit I bought on a budget (I am still a student after all...)
Suit: 38L (normal size is usually 40R) lower-priced "SF approved" brand
Shirt: Brooks Brothers MTM
Shoes: cap toe lower-priced "SF-approved" brand
And here's a few of my responses:
Thanks! Medical professionals definitely do not seem like the type of people from which you should take fashion queues...at least not around where I live.
It's a nice start. Personally, I think a slightly longer jacket would look better, but you're younger than I am, so the more fashionable length is fine. I'm surprised it's an L; how tall are you, out of curiosity? More importantly, I don't think that tie works at all well in situ. Actually, I don't like it even in isolation, but I can conceive of outfits it might work. Just not with that colour shirt I think. Still, from my experience of medical conferences, I'd bet you were still one of the best dressed there...
I shouldn't have posted the size since it isn't representative of a 38L. I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs (+/-10 lbs on any given month). My height is mostly in my legs, so I generally get a better fit with a 40R as opposed a long, then have the sleeves lengthened to get the length on my overly-long arms correct--picture Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld and you'll get a pretty good idea of my build...it made it really hard to find properly-fitting suits and shirts before I discovered tailors and MTM.
Thank you! I really appreciate this post, just as I appreciate all the other comments/thumbs on my latest pic.
It's probably fortunate we don't have a legal system involving jurys in Sweden
If I cared about what average Joe thought acceptable, I would always be wearing jeans and hoodies/chinos and shirt with the rest of them. I'll admit this suit is kind of an experiment and that it's not a work suit, but for most other activities it works just fine imho.
About it being a DB, I wear it buttoned of course but left it open to show the whole suit in this pic.
I am admittedly a little suspicious about a legal system without juries ;o) But that aside, great response to a seemingly odd comment. That suit is not my thing but you make it work for you and you are certainly better dressed than the Average Swede.
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- › Sartoria Partenopea Cashmere/Silk Flannel Trousers Sz 32 30 seconds ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ant-Man 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › New Oak Street Bootmakers Hunt Boots 10.5 Brown Cxl OSB 4 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 4 minutes ago
- › 2013 College Football Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › In praise of Paul Winston @ Chips 10 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw