Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/14/11 at 9:21am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/31/12 at 5:14pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 1/30/13 at 10:57pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Edited on 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Edited on 5/31/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- Cedarville Store
- Crane's Country Store
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Four Horsemen Shop
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Mes Chausettes Rouges
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Tanner Goods/Woodlands Supply
- Tate + Yoko
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Tiberias Clothing
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2443
Hello Everybody! New here. Sorry for the phone pics, I'm at work.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Firstly, I must commend you on having the courage to post pictures this early into your SF career. Let's get started:
I feel that most would agree that the way you have folded your pocket square is awful. Usually a flat-fold is preferable with a cotton square (or with anything possessing 'dry' texture properties, such as linen). Similarly, the pattern of the square further complicates its already awkward positioning due to the geometric component. Usually, with pocket embellishments that have square(ish) patterns, it's helpful to maintain harmony with the lines of the suit/be as direct and simple as possible -- once again, meaning that a flat fold would be most appropriate. Otherwise, the effect is overwhelming and ugly as fuck. Perhaps even a plain white cotton/linen square would have been more palatable.
The collar points are, in my honest opinion, too short. It has become orthodoxy in contemporary mens fashion these days, mostly due to the influence of men's publications and general ignorance, to wear shirts with collar points that are too short, and don't reach the 'edge' of the lapels. This may be a taste thing, but small point collars are (usually) un-fucking-sightly. Yours isn't too bad, and I don't mean to tell you to throw it away and buy another one, but it may be something worth considering when you purchase another shirt.
Black tie event in Miami for Realtors. Should I add a pocket square? I love them but I'm not sure if it calls for it. Sorry again for phone pics.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Same deal as my statements above regarding the shirt collar. Similarly, you won't find much appreciation for the emaciated lapels on this forum, but I guess it's just a taste thing. Personally, I find the whole skinny lapel epidemic to be abhorrent, but whatever. Kudos to you for wearing a proportionate tie though -- even if it's too skinny as well.
From what I can derive from the photo, the rise on your pants is way, way to low. The elongation of your torso resulting from this is hard to look at, and although it's a fad now, it just makes you look really, really young. You should think about your next suit investment carefully -- particularly with the waistband placement, as this is imperative to creating lines that are complimentary to your body composition, and a silhouette that commands a little more respect as well as demonstrates more elegance.
Also, what you are wearing isn't considered to be anything close to "black tie". I appreciate that there are cultural variables, but I would encourage you to investigate further.
These are just my observations.
Enjoy, don't get offended if people give you shit. They're only trying to help.
Apart from the fact that we are both wearing a blue three piece suit, I do not detect any significant similarities in fit, colour coordination, styling, etc. As such, I can only interpret your comment as implying that you associate my outfit with serious fun. Yes, I am that vain.
Black tie event in Miami for Realtors. Should I add a pocket square? I love them but I'm not sure if it calls for it. Sorry again for phone pics.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I just want to be constructive but I'm sorry to say this isn't black tie at all. It might be acceptable to include some element from lounge suits in modern times, but there's nothing here from black tie other than the suit being black - the shirt is not a formal shirt, no bow tie, skinny notch lapels, pocket flaps, and (I'm guessing here) no waistcoat/cummerbund and vented two button jacket. What kind of shoes were you wearing?
I didn't sleep well last night so I'm looking very tired today... oh, and I don't do 'casual Fridays', in fact I've almost gone the opposite today. It's all white, grey, black and blue: MTM midnight blue herringbone jacket; CT Black Label textured white shirt; vintage grey wool waistcoat; vintage 1960s royal blue wool knit tie; vintage tie bar (from an interesting mid-century Vermont silversmith called Joe Skinger); and not seen: mid-grey Old Town 'Vauxhall' high-back moleskin trousers and braces, black socks, vintage black Florsheim Imperial longwings.Added by request... (Click to show)
(Terrible pic which makes everything looks very blue and the trousers look oddly creased because of moving back to try to get in the right place at the right time).
Edited by FlyingMonkey - 9/28/12 at 9:15am
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- › THE LAST OF THE VENANZI: 300+ item megathread - +/-90% off retail... 34 seconds ago
- › Best Hair Styling Products for Men? 1 minute ago
- › Florsheim vs. Allen Edmond 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread 10 minutes ago
- › What Are Considering Squared Toe Dress Shoes? ....Does This? 13 minutes ago
- › Creepy Sartorial Images 22 minutes ago
- › Question about Levi's 511 and 514 27 minutes ago
- › Blue Owl Workshop - official affiliate thread 29 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 33 minutes ago
- › Isaia Coral Lapel Pin by carre567
- › Kiton Napoli WearRight Dark Green Soft suede Loafers 11.5 *Handmade* by BearBindell
- › Red Wing Men's 6" Iron Ranger Boot by ranger21
- › Alfred Sargent Moore by Harrydog
- › Bright orange green paisley pattern silk tie by Holtemor
- › Allen-Edmonds Men's Leeds Oxfords,Black,10 C by trouble
- › Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold 2-Button Wool Suit by JJTV
- › Frye Men's Wallace Oxford by RandyE
- › Momotaro 702 (15.7 oz, Deep Indigo) by El Argentino
- › J. Crew Ludlow by collin9338
- › Cannes Film Festival Trend - Sunglasses by hollypowell
- › David Beckham - Style Icon by hollypowell
- › Style Icon - Brian Trunzo by hollypowell
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw