or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2432  

post #36466 of 78717
PT are those your daughters?

Crusty, I always wonder if you have ever tried a shorter jacket and/or a higher buttoning point? I think it would make you look taller.
post #36467 of 78717
Quote:
Originally posted by Luftvier:
 
I've decided colored laces just aren't appropriate with a suit.

 

Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here.  But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier.  The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir.  Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, let it fly....lol8[1].gif

 

Mad as it might look, I had a great lunch meeting today, deal done I think - might get some more attractive shoes next month!

post #36468 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

PT are those your daughters?

LURK MOAR biggrin.gif
post #36469 of 78717

A professor from central casting today. Heavy tweed, mohair, corduroy, suede, and a Harvard (Oxford for my homeland) comma to boot.

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

post #36470 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

As an avid fan of brown ties I applaud your effort of expanding your horizons icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif. However, I think a darker brown tone would have worked better in this case, the whole ensemble looks a little washed out. Also, tie and PS are too close in colour for me (but it may be due to my computer monitor, for me the tie looks almost red in the last photo). Still, a great looking suit!

The close-up shot of the suit/shirt/tie/PS combo makes the tie look much redder than it is (a property of the camera which I use, which adds red in low-light situations) - the seated shot is the most accurate shot, color-wise. Otherwise, thanks for your insights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

PT are those your daughters?
Crusty, I always wonder if you have ever tried a shorter jacket and/or a higher buttoning point? I think it would make you look taller.

It is incisive (and ironic) that you say that, as the last suit that I bought at New & Lingwood in London was a short, and my salesman at Paul Stuart says that their Phineas Cole line suits me better as the jackets are cut shorter. It seems as if I am shrinking - I had thought that I was 5'10", but was measured for biometrics recently, and was measured as 5'9" - not strictly "short" from a menswear point of view, but leaning in that direction. Who knew? shog[1].gif
post #36471 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


The close-up shot of the suit/shirt/tie/PS combo makes the tie look much redder than it is (a property of the camera which I use, which adds red in low-light situations) - the seated shot is the most accurate shot, color-wise. Otherwise, thanks for your insights.
It is incisive (and ironic) that you say that, as the last suit that I bought at New & Lingwood in London was a short, and my salesman at Paul Stuart says that their Phineas Cole line suits me better as the jackets are cut shorter. It seems as if I am shrinking - I had thought that I was 5'10", but was measured for biometrics recently, and was measured as 5'9" - not strictly "short" from a menswear point of view, but leaning in that direction. Who knew? shog[1].gif

 

Either shorter, or higher-buttoning, but not both - that might have the opposite effect, and make you look broader.  I'd keep the low two-button, and normal or very slightly shorter.  You do have a lovely selection of suits, though.

post #36472 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here.  But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier.  The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir.  Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless :)

Yeah, let it fly....lol8%5B1%5D.gif

 

Mad as it might look, I had a great lunch meeting today, deal done I think - might get some more attractive shoes next month!

 

 

Which is it?  a. 'There are norms of  good dress'  or b. 'We're all individuals' .

 

Seems to me that you're having a bet each way.  Plenty of 'a' from you until someone calls you out on something like the color of your laces.  Then it's 'b'.

post #36473 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here.  But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier.  The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir.  Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









Yeah, let it fly....lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Mad as it might look, I had a great lunch meeting today, deal done I think - might get some more attractive shoes next month!

Have to agree with Lufty on the coloured laces, but as you say "suum cuique". Also, have to say I'm not sold on the PS, too matchy with the tie and shirt. But I dig the SC, very nice!
post #36474 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

 

 

Which is it?  a. 'There are norms of  good dress'  or b. 'We're all individuals' .

 

Seems to me that you're having a bet each way.  Plenty of 'a' from you until someone calls you out on something like the color of your laces.  Then it's 'b'.

 

I don't see that the two are mutually exclusive.  Everyone has some "rules" or preferences.  But everyone has a different opinion on what's "the norm", or perhaps put more accurately, which "rules" are there to be broken.  Me, I don't like the "sockless" thing, and I also don't like penny loafers with a suit.  But it doesn't mean they're wrong - they're just wrong to me.  Once upon a time the whole "no brown in town" thing was a rule.  Now it's an anachronism, and a rule most people break as a style choice, me included.

 

As for being "called out", I'm not sure what that means.  I'm not competing in conformity.  I'm only sharing at all because some seem to find the idea offensive that someone might respond to their requests for feedback while not permitting them the same.  I'm not asking for approval.  So I'm happy to be a sport, but although the opinions of complete strangers on the internet are sometimes interesting, they are hardly going to define my taste.

 

I think it's nice to see the trends observed by others, but also the individual diversions.  There's a lot of tweed around this season - I like it, and I've just bought some myself.  I've also been inspired to pick up a couple of accessories the like of which I've seen on this forum.  It's a useful source of new ideas.  But the "fashions" are just one aspect - the thing I like most on this forum is the quirky eccentricities, even the things that don't quite work.  They're all potential sources of inspiration.

 

The thing is, though, it's not a competition.  Just as someone I know has just started imitating the contrasting-shoelace thing having liked the look on me, there are others who will find it anathema.  I'm not offended by that and feel no need to adjust my ways as a result.  But it would be a sad state of affairs if I were to start trying to imitate whoever seemed to be most popular on an internet forum, and rush to a Ralph Lauren wank-fest with my credit card in hand.

 

Posting an imitation of others would be a waste of time.  If I am bothering at all, I figure it might as well be as individual and caricatured a version of me as possible, otherwise I'm not really contributing anything at all.

 

Interesting question, though. :)


Edited by mimo - 9/25/12 at 7:23am
post #36475 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post


Have to agree with Lufty on the coloured laces, but as you say "suum cuique". Also, have to say I'm not sold on the PS, too matchy with the tie and shirt. But I dig the SC, very nice!

 

Quite understandable, the shoes are offensive enough on their own.  I was just in the mood today for a bit of silliness; I think it's healthy not to take it all too seriously!  

 

I was in two minds about the PS, was also considering a darker blue or a safe white.  But in defence of this one, what doesn't really come across in the photo is that the blue items are all different shades and very different textures: twill shirt, coarsely-woven silk tie, satin PS.  Thanks for the feedback anyway; you do have a point.

post #36476 of 78717
I haven't posted in a while, and have no idea how this will be received, but here was my fit today. Taking a cue from Albert, the SC is secondhand and vintage.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Deets:
Coat: HF
SC: Oxxford
Waistcoat: J. Crew
Shirt: Borrelli
Tie: Italian woven wool, maker unknown
Square: Italian silk, maker unknown
Trou: Zegna
Shoes: AE
Sept 25 w overcoatSept 25 Full shot no coat

(Sorry about the waistcoat lapel here. This is the only shot that shows the square.
Sept 25 closeup 1
Photobucket
post #36477 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

I haven't posted in a while, and have no idea how this will be received, but here was my fit today. Taking a cue from Albert, the SC is secondhand and vintage.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Deets:
Coat: HF
SC: Oxxford
Waistcoat: J. Crew
Shirt: Borrelli
Tie: Italian woven wool, maker unknown
Square: Italian silk, maker unknown
Trou: Zegna
Shoes: AE
Sept 25 w overcoatSept 25 Full shot no coat

(Sorry about the waistcoat lapel here. This is the only shot that shows the square.
Sept 25 closeup 1
Photobucket

I think this falls into the "trying too hard" category. It looks like you have a roughly textured tweed waistcoat underneath a worsted suit jacket, paired with the pants from a different worsted suit. Combined with the generally poor fit of these items (tie/shirt showing below the waistcoat and pants nearly puddling at your feet), the net result is not good. I do like the combination of shirt, tie, and waistcoat, though.
post #36478 of 78717




Old stuff, today:
DB 3 piece MTM Hickey Freeman
Shirt: Claymore Shop
Pocket Square: unknown and ancient
Edited by clarinetplayer - 9/25/12 at 8:48am
post #36479 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

PT are those your daughters?

LURK MOAR biggrin.gif

Ok, I have to accept I am bad at making jokes, I'll stop it...
post #36480 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post


Ok, I have to accept I am bad at making jokes, I'll stop it...

Please don't.  God knows, this place could use some levity...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III