On the contrary, it's much more of an achievement to have a tailor make something that's well-fitting and flattering for a fat dude, or some other irregular body shape. If you're a 22 year old gym bunny, off the peg Armani is wonderful. But for most people, tailored is better. Also, if anything, formal suits often make a very lean young man look like a schoolboy in uniform. So a big shout out to all the old, fuller-figured, bearded or other non-boyish looks on this forum. Real men looking sharp - always admirable. :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:38 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2402
Styleforum Top Pickspost #36017 of 787199/15/12 at 4:18amQuote:Originally Posted by Louis XIV
Unusual and unflattering wrinkles around most of his jackets' shoulders, shirt collars that don't reach under his jacket, wrinkles around his jackets' buttoning points, sometimes at least subjectively clashing colors or at least pairings which, to put it with words of Manton, make the outfit look 'washed out', poverty of contrast due to lack of different visible/distinguishable patterns/textures, spreez like unbuttoned sleeve buttons etc.
I think you will find that the collar issue has been pointed out to Victor several times by different people, and he has already agreed with the criticism. You don't expect him to have a whole new wardrobe of shirts made immediately, do you? I don't like his obsession with loafers and I've told him too - but most of the forum love loafers... I don't agree with your comments on colour and pattern - I think he generally has a commitment to a certain kind of look which he pursues with rigour and is mostly successful. I admire that much more than whether he conforms to any external rules. And finally, just because someone gives a thumbs-up doesn't mean that they approve of everything - it's about whether the post is helpful and/or interesting as much as anything else.
As for the rest of you comments, some seem to be more about your own prejudices and frustrations. Why do you feel the need to post attacking a particular member and one who makes decent contributions at that? What relevance is it that he is a 'Russian businessman'? Why is bad that he has a tailor, or even that he is friends with one - surely, that's what all of us want?
If you have criticisms about specific fits, just make them, but please don't start some kind of campaign against an individual.post #36018 of 787199/15/12 at 4:26amQuote:
SS I think this suit is very nice but the only problem I have with it is the shoulder profile. It may be the angle but it looks very top heavy and "pointy." Apologies, I lack the nomenclature and lingo to adequately express but I think it may be the padding or the structure of the shoulder that looks a size too big on you rather than the actual measurement. Curious, it is samuelsohn MTM right? what model did you request? I think someone with your build could have checked out the gable, which I have tried on and found to be rather nice!post #36019 of 787199/15/12 at 4:26amLike a good author or a good composer, Victor has an original, honest voice. Whether one likes or dislikes his clothing, he is never boring and always worth a look. And he does this with good cheer. Certainly, he is one-of-kind, and for this reason, our Forum is all the better for it.post #36020 of 787199/15/12 at 4:35ammimo, there is nothing wrong with Victor being photographed professionally by others, nor do I dislike his clothing or him as a person.
Quite the contrary, I like this guy and his outfits a lot.
My point was to encourage people to critise his fits, because while he is definitely among the better dressed around here, there are still things that are not right about his clothes and we should discuss those rather than just give him praise and create the false impression to both him and others that he was the epitome of bespoke clothing and style.
He is not.
There are still people who know more and do better than him, just have a look at voxsartoria/F.Corbera, Manton, whnay, ,Iammatt, MaoMao, gazman70k, YFYF, R.O. Thornhill, gdl203...
Some interesting topics to start with:
Also, there are more than just a few people posting here and in the MC casual thread, yet, everybody praises Victor and some of the newer members, those who need guidance more than him, get next to no attention, while our Russian friend receives the 24th thumb up saying "NICE BRO!" which is of no value for anybody who is here to discuss and learn about style.
Also I spoke to Victor both through comments and PMs before, so I am sure he knows exactly how to take my comments and knows they are by no mean meant as an attack towards him.post #36021 of 787199/15/12 at 4:49ampost #36022 of 787199/15/12 at 6:14amQuote:
I think I would let out the sleeves but I've decided not to bother. Bu I don't really like short jackets anyway, so I'll chalk it up as a rookie mistake and move on. Now, there's an empty spot in my closet that needs to be filled.......post #36023 of 787199/15/12 at 6:18ampost #36024 of 787199/15/12 at 6:38amQuote:
felt the same way until I saw Victor's picpost #36025 of 787199/15/12 at 7:33ampost #36026 of 787199/15/12 at 7:46ampost #36027 of 787199/15/12 at 8:22ampost #36028 of 787199/15/12 at 9:20ampost #36029 of 787199/15/12 at 9:29ampost #36030 of 787199/15/12 at 10:00amQuote:
Most of whom no longer post fits here, unfortunately. And I don't think many people who know what they are talking about are claiming that Victor is 'better' than any of those posters. Why not concentrate on giving the kind of feedback you think is useful to whoever deserves it and posting some great fits yourself (i.e. leading by example), rather than being negative?
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 5 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 18 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 20 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Rudy pants size 32 navy and charcoal gray (unworn) 26 minutes ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 28 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 36 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.