or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2376  

post #35626 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post

mafoofan Really nice collar on that shirt! I don't have a problem with that small knot combined with the rather wide collar and lapels. Tie looks to be a Rubinacci, unlined?

It's a nice shirt collar. 

 

You don't have a problem because it's Foo, not because it isn't wrong. There's even more wrong with the tie knot as it isn't in proportion to his face either, let alone what he's wearing.

post #35627 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Evidently the waitstaff at Brown's thought similarly, so perhaps you are onto something.

 

You were treated poorly because of the way you were dressed?

post #35628 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Honey View Post

You don't have a problem because it's Foo, not because it isn't wrong. There's even more wrong with the tie knot as it isn't in proportion to his face either, let alone what he's wearing.

And what would the "right" proportion be? I am baffled by criticisms like this because they assume there is some golden ratio when there plainly is not.
post #35629 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

You were treated poorly because of the way you were dressed?

Well, probably more because they thought my penis was too micro, due to my tie knot.
post #35630 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Well, probably more because they thought my penis was too micro, due to my tie knot.

We Caucasians are inscrutable sometimes, no?

I really like Mafoofan's look. Perfectly presentable, nicely relaxed and in keeping with his surroundings.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy Browns - if you ever venture into London again try afternoon tea at the Langham. Very civilised.
post #35631 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Honey View Post

It's a nice shirt collar. 

You don't have a problem because it's Foo, not because it isn't wrong. There's even more wrong with the tie knot as it isn't in proportion to his face either, let alone what he's wearing.

I'm afraid you're wrong, what the user name of a poster happens to be isn't something I put into consideration before I post feedback. Some might care, I'm not one of them though.
post #35632 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


And what would the "right" proportion be? I am baffled by criticisms like this because they assume there is some golden ratio when there plainly is not.

Your tie knot is too small for your wide spread collar. Your tie knot is too small for the width of your face. Your tie knot is too small for the lapels of your jacket. You want proportions, look at something that is more pleasing and make the calculations yourself. It looks off, because it's off. You're right, there's no golden ratio, but because there isn't doesn't mean small looks good with big.

 

If one is wearing a spread collar such as yours, you are best served with a triangular, larger knot so there isn't so much of a gap and it doesn't make your collar look like wings. Your small knot is in discordance with the shape of your shirt collar and in turn this makes your wider face appear wider than it is.

 

Visual harmony. Balance. No golden rules, no exact science. Take your error like a man.

post #35633 of 78722
I don't even know why mafoofan even bothers posting pics anymore.
post #35634 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Honey View Post

Your tie knot is too small for your wide spread collar. Your tie knot is too small for the width of your face. Your tie knot is too small for the lapels of your jacket. You want proportions, look at something that is more pleasing and make the calculations yourself. It looks off, because it's off. You're right, there's no golden ratio, but because there isn't doesn't mean small looks good with big.

If one is wearing a spread collar such as yours, you are best served with a triangular, larger knot so there isn't so much of a gap and it doesn't make your collar look like wings. Your small knot is in discordance with the shape of your shirt collar and in turn this makes your wider face appear wider than it is.

Visual harmony. Balance. No golden rules, no exact science. Take your error like a man.

How do you know my face isn't really as wide as it appears? After all, you only have its appearance to judge by. Why do I want to avoid "so much of a gap" between my tie and collar? Actually, that "gap" is a good way to add visual depth. I actually abhor when tie knots are made to fill out the space between one's collar points. It looks asinine. Like when people can't think about visual space effectively and place all their furniture along the outer perimeter of a room. Available space does not need to be filled out. How would describe the "shape" of my collar and why is it inappropriate for the size of my tie knot?

Critiques of style cannot rely on scientific fact, but for that reason they should at least be as clearly and directly articulated as possible. Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.
post #35635 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.

Ditto.
post #35636 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


How do you know my face isn't really as wide as it appears? After all, you only have its appearance to judge by. Why do I want to avoid "so much of a gap" between my tie and collar? Actually, that "gap" is a good way to add visual depth. I actually abhor when tie knots are made to fill out the space between one's collar points. It looks asinine. Like when people can't think about visual space effectively and place all their furniture along the outer perimeter of a room. Available space does not need to be filled out. How would describe the "shape" of my collar and why is it inappropriate for the size of my tie knot?
Critiques of style cannot rely on scientific fact, but for that reason they should at least be as clearly and directly articulated as possible. Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.

Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. Fuck everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

 

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

post #35637 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Honey View Post

Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. Fuck everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

Words such as these, strung together to say nothing an in an attempt to sound intelligent ".. alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary." 

Queen's English? What the fuck.

Alluding to "visual harmony" over and over again, as if it presents its own truth, is the real pretension here.
post #35638 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Honey View Post

Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. Fuck everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

I think Foo looks ok.
post #35639 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Queen's English? What the fuck.
Alluding to "visual harmony" over and over again, as if it presents its own truth, is the real pretension here.

I'm not alluding to it. I'm saying it. It's not a pretension. I'm a visual artist. What do you do, perhaps I can break it down for you differently? How is it not a truth? I'm not making something up. We look at things and they are either harmonious or they aren't. Some things are pleasing in proportion and some are not. In music, something sounds harmonious or it sounds discordant, right?

post #35640 of 78722
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III