Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2313post #34681 of 787198/15/12 at 12:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34682 of 787198/15/12 at 12:30pmpost #34683 of 787198/15/12 at 12:36pmpost #34684 of 787198/15/12 at 12:41pmpost #34685 of 787198/15/12 at 12:44pmpost #34686 of 787198/15/12 at 12:46pmpost #34687 of 787198/15/12 at 12:57pmI feel like with tailored clothing people's eyes want to see a nipped waist and a silhouette that us elongated and slender. In attempt to satisfy the eye people generally wear jackets that are too tight to accentuate this look, or even make themselves look less wide and more tall. The only thing that this does is make you look uncomfortable, restricted, and wrinkly.
One thing that tailors do, bespoke ones, is try to nail down your proportions and fit you in something that is flattering to your physique. There are various ways of doing this, but sticking to the topic, you can achieve an hourglass shape, (which is what most people want to see) by adding fullness and fabric to in distinct areas of the jacket such as the chest to give the illusion of more waist. This is only one example. But all in all a garment should "fit" the same regardless of silhouette one is trying to achieve. The critical areas being the collar on the neck, shoulder protrusion, sleeve pitch, balance and so on.post #34688 of 787198/15/12 at 1:07pmpost #34689 of 787198/15/12 at 1:40pmpost #34690 of 787198/15/12 at 1:47pmpost #34691 of 787198/15/12 at 2:02pmpost #34692 of 787198/15/12 at 2:02pmQuote:
Your clothes might be to tight if:
Your lapels bow out like a gaping....never mind
You have pulling where the chest meets the sleeve
Pulling at buttoning point (minor pulling is ok on DB)
Horizontal lines across crotch of pants
Pockets bowing out when at rest
Pants tight on calves
Looking like stuff suasage
I too realized the error of my ways. There is a difference between slim and tight.
If you're not a chick in a dress and or yoga pants, tight is not good!post #34693 of 787198/15/12 at 2:03pmpost #34694 of 787198/15/12 at 2:14pmpost #34695 of 787198/15/12 at 3:20pm
Agreed, but I am talking about that too tight god awful size too small stuff I wore.
Tight ≠ good fit.
Baggy ≠ good fit.
Properly sized sack coat = good fit, even if one's not a fan of the silhouette.Quote:Originally Posted by An Anecdote I Think I Read Here a Few Years Ago About Size v. Silhouette
An Englishman walks into a French men's boutique. The Frenchman is wearing a fashionably cut "modern" coat and trousers, while the Brit's wearing a traditionally cut suit.
The Frenchman sneers and says: "What are you wearing? You've not any sense of fashion at all! Look at how baggy your suit is cut, compared to my modern fit. You look impossibly out of date!"
The Brit, stoically, retorts "Well, monsieur, I can alter the silhouette of my suit, if I care to. But you can't make that suit fit you," and leaves.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 9 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 14 seconds ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 37 seconds ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 58 seconds ago
- › Manolo Costa Solid Forest Green Silk Repp Tie 1 minute ago
- › Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Battistoni Yellow Tie 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...