Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:23 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2313post #34681 of 787218/15/12 at 12:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34682 of 787218/15/12 at 12:30pmpost #34683 of 787218/15/12 at 12:36pmpost #34684 of 787218/15/12 at 12:41pmpost #34685 of 787218/15/12 at 12:44pmpost #34686 of 787218/15/12 at 12:46pmpost #34687 of 787218/15/12 at 12:57pmI feel like with tailored clothing people's eyes want to see a nipped waist and a silhouette that us elongated and slender. In attempt to satisfy the eye people generally wear jackets that are too tight to accentuate this look, or even make themselves look less wide and more tall. The only thing that this does is make you look uncomfortable, restricted, and wrinkly.
One thing that tailors do, bespoke ones, is try to nail down your proportions and fit you in something that is flattering to your physique. There are various ways of doing this, but sticking to the topic, you can achieve an hourglass shape, (which is what most people want to see) by adding fullness and fabric to in distinct areas of the jacket such as the chest to give the illusion of more waist. This is only one example. But all in all a garment should "fit" the same regardless of silhouette one is trying to achieve. The critical areas being the collar on the neck, shoulder protrusion, sleeve pitch, balance and so on.post #34688 of 787218/15/12 at 1:07pmpost #34689 of 787218/15/12 at 1:40pmpost #34690 of 787218/15/12 at 1:47pmpost #34691 of 787218/15/12 at 2:02pmpost #34692 of 787218/15/12 at 2:02pmQuote:
Your clothes might be to tight if:
Your lapels bow out like a gaping....never mind
You have pulling where the chest meets the sleeve
Pulling at buttoning point (minor pulling is ok on DB)
Horizontal lines across crotch of pants
Pockets bowing out when at rest
Pants tight on calves
Looking like stuff suasage
I too realized the error of my ways. There is a difference between slim and tight.
If you're not a chick in a dress and or yoga pants, tight is not good!post #34693 of 787218/15/12 at 2:03pmpost #34694 of 787218/15/12 at 2:14pmpost #34695 of 787218/15/12 at 3:20pm
Agreed, but I am talking about that too tight god awful size too small stuff I wore.
Tight ≠ good fit.
Baggy ≠ good fit.
Properly sized sack coat = good fit, even if one's not a fan of the silhouette.Quote:Originally Posted by An Anecdote I Think I Read Here a Few Years Ago About Size v. Silhouette
An Englishman walks into a French men's boutique. The Frenchman is wearing a fashionably cut "modern" coat and trousers, while the Brit's wearing a traditionally cut suit.
The Frenchman sneers and says: "What are you wearing? You've not any sense of fashion at all! Look at how baggy your suit is cut, compared to my modern fit. You look impossibly out of date!"
The Brit, stoically, retorts "Well, monsieur, I can alter the silhouette of my suit, if I care to. But you can't make that suit fit you," and leaves.
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 34 seconds ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...