Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:33 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2228post #33406 of 787217/23/12 at 2:36pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #33407 of 787217/23/12 at 2:38pmpost #33408 of 787217/23/12 at 2:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Despite the fact that your passage sounds like Clarice Starling addressing Hannibal Lecter in his cell, I will try.
Well, to answer your question, I need to go back...way back...to the Big Bang.
Since that point, it seems that the universe has been going from states of higher order to states of greater disorder. This condition of entropy offers a clue of why time moves only forward. Time never moves backward.
You're with me so far, right?
Okay: this brings us to powdered wigs.
Here is a digital image of a remarkable painting:
[note: real painting is much bigger than what appears on your computer or cell phone screen.]
Portrayed is the Earl of Buckinhamshire, by Gainsborough. He wears a powdered wig, but also a fabulous ermine cape.
As a man with a regal bearing myself, I easily recognize it in others. And I see it here. The Earl is on the old and nearly dead side as shown in the painting, true, but he looks really great.
Now, should then a man today wear a powdered wig? In other words, to find a point at which such a wig looks pretty cool, I would have to reverse the state of entropy in which the Big Bang left us.
The same, I fear, is true of the cape...ermine or otherwise.
Will I defy entropy? No sir, this I will not do.
And neither should others, or so say I.
I do not know your age Sir, or where you are living.
Your profile says nothing about it.
But if you happen to be in the same state of health now as the Earl you described on the picture
I will not advice you to go to for a change to a European fashion show (Paris, Milan)
The confrontation with what the European trolls have breeded out this time
migth be too much for you and I am the last here who wants to overask people.
A pity though : it could have broaden your mind but may be its too much asked for the moment.
I can live with it and probably - and that is more important - you too.
That said, I must give you a compliment for your answer : really high quality prose and humor of a high level !
Do call me old - fashioned because I still do wear capes, but nevertheless I can appreciate it.Thanks.post #33409 of 787217/23/12 at 2:41pmpost #33410 of 787217/23/12 at 2:53pmpost #33411 of 787217/23/12 at 2:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by yywwyy
You keep citing European fashionhouses and runway.
That's where the capes belong, along with the designerwear photos observed in this thread.
I think you are rigth when it concerns the cape - pictures of Sir Corbera.Even I do agree with that. Impossible to disagree with that.
But I hope you do disagree with me that automatically all pictures of men wearing capes today do belong to this collection.
That is, if I may say so, a bridge too far.
Have a look at the picture album of this Fall / Winter 2012 and tell me your opinion.
( Good heavens do the European Fashionhouses have such a bad name in this forum ..........?)post #33412 of 787217/23/12 at 2:59pmpost #33413 of 787217/23/12 at 3:02pmpost #33414 of 787217/23/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
Last winter i weared this Italian tabarro in the French Alpes. ( Haute Savoie )post #33415 of 787217/23/12 at 3:16pmpost #33416 of 787217/23/12 at 3:18pmpost #33417 of 787217/23/12 at 3:21pmpost #33418 of 787217/23/12 at 3:24pmpost #33419 of 787217/23/12 at 3:32pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › KKA LS Structured Top 32 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 2 minutes ago
- › Video Games 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 2 minutes ago
- › Manila Tailor 3 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › CHALLENGE: SW&D does "Traditional" DEADLINE JULY 12, 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...