Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:52 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 4:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2228post #33406 of 787227/23/12 at 2:36pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #33407 of 787227/23/12 at 2:36pmpost #33408 of 787227/23/12 at 2:38pmpost #33409 of 787227/23/12 at 2:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Despite the fact that your passage sounds like Clarice Starling addressing Hannibal Lecter in his cell, I will try.
Well, to answer your question, I need to go back...way back...to the Big Bang.
Since that point, it seems that the universe has been going from states of higher order to states of greater disorder. This condition of entropy offers a clue of why time moves only forward. Time never moves backward.
You're with me so far, right?
Okay: this brings us to powdered wigs.
Here is a digital image of a remarkable painting:
[note: real painting is much bigger than what appears on your computer or cell phone screen.]
Portrayed is the Earl of Buckinhamshire, by Gainsborough. He wears a powdered wig, but also a fabulous ermine cape.
As a man with a regal bearing myself, I easily recognize it in others. And I see it here. The Earl is on the old and nearly dead side as shown in the painting, true, but he looks really great.
Now, should then a man today wear a powdered wig? In other words, to find a point at which such a wig looks pretty cool, I would have to reverse the state of entropy in which the Big Bang left us.
The same, I fear, is true of the cape...ermine or otherwise.
Will I defy entropy? No sir, this I will not do.
And neither should others, or so say I.
I do not know your age Sir, or where you are living.
Your profile says nothing about it.
But if you happen to be in the same state of health now as the Earl you described on the picture
I will not advice you to go to for a change to a European fashion show (Paris, Milan)
The confrontation with what the European trolls have breeded out this time
migth be too much for you and I am the last here who wants to overask people.
A pity though : it could have broaden your mind but may be its too much asked for the moment.
I can live with it and probably - and that is more important - you too.
That said, I must give you a compliment for your answer : really high quality prose and humor of a high level !
Do call me old - fashioned because I still do wear capes, but nevertheless I can appreciate it.Thanks.post #33410 of 787227/23/12 at 2:41pmpost #33411 of 787227/23/12 at 2:53pmpost #33412 of 787227/23/12 at 2:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by yywwyy
You keep citing European fashionhouses and runway.
That's where the capes belong, along with the designerwear photos observed in this thread.
I think you are rigth when it concerns the cape - pictures of Sir Corbera.Even I do agree with that. Impossible to disagree with that.
But I hope you do disagree with me that automatically all pictures of men wearing capes today do belong to this collection.
That is, if I may say so, a bridge too far.
Have a look at the picture album of this Fall / Winter 2012 and tell me your opinion.
( Good heavens do the European Fashionhouses have such a bad name in this forum ..........?)post #33413 of 787227/23/12 at 2:59pmpost #33414 of 787227/23/12 at 3:02pmpost #33415 of 787227/23/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
Last winter i weared this Italian tabarro in the French Alpes. ( Haute Savoie )post #33416 of 787227/23/12 at 3:16pmpost #33417 of 787227/23/12 at 3:18pmpost #33418 of 787227/23/12 at 3:21pmpost #33419 of 787227/23/12 at 3:24pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Do you wear your pants with cuffs or without cuffs? 2 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 26 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › NWT Kiton 100% Baby Camel Double Breasted Jacket 38US 48EU 4 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 4 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 5 minutes ago
- › Lanieri Online MTM suits Made in Italy - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...