Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
Last edited: 9/1/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 2228post #33406 of 787217/23/12 at 2:36pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #33407 of 787217/23/12 at 2:38pmpost #33408 of 787217/23/12 at 2:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Despite the fact that your passage sounds like Clarice Starling addressing Hannibal Lecter in his cell, I will try.
Well, to answer your question, I need to go back...way back...to the Big Bang.
Since that point, it seems that the universe has been going from states of higher order to states of greater disorder. This condition of entropy offers a clue of why time moves only forward. Time never moves backward.
You're with me so far, right?
Okay: this brings us to powdered wigs.
Here is a digital image of a remarkable painting:
[note: real painting is much bigger than what appears on your computer or cell phone screen.]
Portrayed is the Earl of Buckinhamshire, by Gainsborough. He wears a powdered wig, but also a fabulous ermine cape.
As a man with a regal bearing myself, I easily recognize it in others. And I see it here. The Earl is on the old and nearly dead side as shown in the painting, true, but he looks really great.
Now, should then a man today wear a powdered wig? In other words, to find a point at which such a wig looks pretty cool, I would have to reverse the state of entropy in which the Big Bang left us.
The same, I fear, is true of the cape...ermine or otherwise.
Will I defy entropy? No sir, this I will not do.
And neither should others, or so say I.
I do not know your age Sir, or where you are living.
Your profile says nothing about it.
But if you happen to be in the same state of health now as the Earl you described on the picture
I will not advice you to go to for a change to a European fashion show (Paris, Milan)
The confrontation with what the European trolls have breeded out this time
migth be too much for you and I am the last here who wants to overask people.
A pity though : it could have broaden your mind but may be its too much asked for the moment.
I can live with it and probably - and that is more important - you too.
That said, I must give you a compliment for your answer : really high quality prose and humor of a high level !
Do call me old - fashioned because I still do wear capes, but nevertheless I can appreciate it.Thanks.post #33409 of 787217/23/12 at 2:41pmpost #33410 of 787217/23/12 at 2:53pmpost #33411 of 787217/23/12 at 2:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by yywwyy
You keep citing European fashionhouses and runway.
That's where the capes belong, along with the designerwear photos observed in this thread.
I think you are rigth when it concerns the cape - pictures of Sir Corbera.Even I do agree with that. Impossible to disagree with that.
But I hope you do disagree with me that automatically all pictures of men wearing capes today do belong to this collection.
That is, if I may say so, a bridge too far.
Have a look at the picture album of this Fall / Winter 2012 and tell me your opinion.
( Good heavens do the European Fashionhouses have such a bad name in this forum ..........?)post #33412 of 787217/23/12 at 2:59pmpost #33413 of 787217/23/12 at 3:02pmpost #33414 of 787217/23/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
Last winter i weared this Italian tabarro in the French Alpes. ( Haute Savoie )post #33415 of 787217/23/12 at 3:16pmpost #33416 of 787217/23/12 at 3:18pmpost #33417 of 787217/23/12 at 3:21pmpost #33418 of 787217/23/12 at 3:24pmpost #33419 of 787217/23/12 at 3:32pm
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 9 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 56 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sandro Paris Apollo navy overcoat RARE 4 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 5 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 5 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth