Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1650post #24736 of 787173/20/12 at 9:07ampost #24737 of 787173/20/12 at 9:14ampost #24738 of 787173/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:Originally Posted by gdl203
I think your reasons for cherry-picking these outfits are slightly different. People are tired of mocking you in MC while they're still getting a kick out of it in SWD. You're a tough grizzli with a care bear heart inside, so when you feel sad and lonely the claws come out.
lâche-lui les basquespost #24739 of 787173/20/12 at 9:16ampost #24740 of 787173/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:
SW&D people get rid of stuff before the 10 year mark - too dated by then.
Quote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Back in suits after a run of casual days, but not really formal, as having some kaleidoscopic fun with the patterns:
I like the suit, Holdfast. Is the chalkstripe purple?
Here's What I'm Wearing Right Now:post #24741 of 787173/20/12 at 9:17ampost #24742 of 787173/20/12 at 9:18ampost #24743 of 787173/20/12 at 9:28ampost #24744 of 787173/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24745 of 787173/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24746 of 787173/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24747 of 787173/20/12 at 9:49ampost #24748 of 787173/20/12 at 10:24am
Quote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
There is a significant degree to which small, "workwear" or "heritage influenced" brands run parallel to classicly American casual, sports, and "manual labor" wear. This is particularly the case with all the makers and brands...Japanese or otherwise...flowing out of the Japanese obsessive-compulsive workwear American-costume-recreation movement. Chinos are chinos. Plaid shirts are plaid shirts. Shell boots are shell boots. A barn coat is a barn coat. A 501-derived jean is a 501-derived jean. The "fashion labels" that you list...Epaulet, N&F, Gitman, Beams...are not in the same mode as Demeulemeester and Yamamoto.
I absolutely agree. What I am saying is that it's not just standard MC WAYWRN without the tie or either the North-eastern US or Italian-style upper class casual that is affected by so many here. And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear. But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.post #24749 of 787173/20/12 at 10:46amQuote:
FTFY.Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear.
In my little SF advice column, one of the things that I poorly try get across is that it is useful for beginners to examine on what point of the informal/formal spectrum their life lies, and taking cues from that. I feel (without being able to offer convincing evidence) that the current MC crowd might benefit from a toning down of the level of formality in their coat and tie looks.
You, in contrast, have thought about this. More power to you...which takes me to...Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.
...that's exactly it. When I see those SW&D "fits" in suburban back lawns or in the homes of parents, it really doesn't work for me.
The MC crowd has its own similar sins arife, of course.
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:04ampost #24750 of 787173/20/12 at 11:03amQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I think Moo was trolling a little by picking specifically the looks MC wouldn't like. Honestly, most of stuff in the hall of fame thread would (I think?) be appreciated here, even if many of you wouldn't wear it:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I guess this would be a reverse-cherry-pick?
1. Jamieson is a red herring. That was an old "MC" fit cross-posted over there. He can basically do no wrong, but I'm not a fan of the hat...which is as ubiquitous in your selections as are...oddly...raincoats.
2. The guy with the slick hair and peacoat looks suspiciously like a Sartorialist pic. Is it really a SW&D member or even an SF member?
3. Berlin Report always looks great, which I hope any mens shop owner would. (There's that hat again, though.) A lot of what he wears falls into the category that Monkey and I were discussing.
Everyone else that you posted looks either really awful, or if not, has a look that if found on a dude approaching 30 or passing it, would look rather unfortunate. From tween to twenties, awful to great. Beyond that, I don't want to see a mktitsworth with fades indicating the contents of his front pockets.
Is this really the best that you could find? And what's with the raincoats...is humidity an issue in SW&D these days?
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:30am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 3 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Edward 5 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 8 minutes ago
- › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 11 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 13 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding