Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Is this style suitable for 30 years old men who wants to look like fun. Last post on 8/26/13 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1650post #24736 of 787233/20/12 at 9:07am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24737 of 787233/20/12 at 9:14ampost #24738 of 787233/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:Originally Posted by gdl203
I think your reasons for cherry-picking these outfits are slightly different. People are tired of mocking you in MC while they're still getting a kick out of it in SWD. You're a tough grizzli with a care bear heart inside, so when you feel sad and lonely the claws come out.
lâche-lui les basquespost #24739 of 787233/20/12 at 9:16ampost #24740 of 787233/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:
SW&D people get rid of stuff before the 10 year mark - too dated by then.
Quote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Back in suits after a run of casual days, but not really formal, as having some kaleidoscopic fun with the patterns:
I like the suit, Holdfast. Is the chalkstripe purple?
Here's What I'm Wearing Right Now:post #24741 of 787233/20/12 at 9:17ampost #24742 of 787233/20/12 at 9:18ampost #24743 of 787233/20/12 at 9:28ampost #24744 of 787233/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24745 of 787233/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24746 of 787233/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24747 of 787233/20/12 at 9:49ampost #24748 of 787233/20/12 at 10:24am
Quote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
There is a significant degree to which small, "workwear" or "heritage influenced" brands run parallel to classicly American casual, sports, and "manual labor" wear. This is particularly the case with all the makers and brands...Japanese or otherwise...flowing out of the Japanese obsessive-compulsive workwear American-costume-recreation movement. Chinos are chinos. Plaid shirts are plaid shirts. Shell boots are shell boots. A barn coat is a barn coat. A 501-derived jean is a 501-derived jean. The "fashion labels" that you list...Epaulet, N&F, Gitman, Beams...are not in the same mode as Demeulemeester and Yamamoto.
I absolutely agree. What I am saying is that it's not just standard MC WAYWRN without the tie or either the North-eastern US or Italian-style upper class casual that is affected by so many here. And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear. But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.post #24749 of 787233/20/12 at 10:46amQuote:
FTFY.Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear.
In my little SF advice column, one of the things that I poorly try get across is that it is useful for beginners to examine on what point of the informal/formal spectrum their life lies, and taking cues from that. I feel (without being able to offer convincing evidence) that the current MC crowd might benefit from a toning down of the level of formality in their coat and tie looks.
You, in contrast, have thought about this. More power to you...which takes me to...Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.
...that's exactly it. When I see those SW&D "fits" in suburban back lawns or in the homes of parents, it really doesn't work for me.
The MC crowd has its own similar sins arife, of course.
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:04ampost #24750 of 787233/20/12 at 11:03amQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I think Moo was trolling a little by picking specifically the looks MC wouldn't like. Honestly, most of stuff in the hall of fame thread would (I think?) be appreciated here, even if many of you wouldn't wear it:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I guess this would be a reverse-cherry-pick?
1. Jamieson is a red herring. That was an old "MC" fit cross-posted over there. He can basically do no wrong, but I'm not a fan of the hat...which is as ubiquitous in your selections as are...oddly...raincoats.
2. The guy with the slick hair and peacoat looks suspiciously like a Sartorialist pic. Is it really a SW&D member or even an SF member?
3. Berlin Report always looks great, which I hope any mens shop owner would. (There's that hat again, though.) A lot of what he wears falls into the category that Monkey and I were discussing.
Everyone else that you posted looks either really awful, or if not, has a look that if found on a dude approaching 30 or passing it, would look rather unfortunate. From tween to twenties, awful to great. Beyond that, I don't want to see a mktitsworth with fades indicating the contents of his front pockets.
Is this really the best that you could find? And what's with the raincoats...is humidity an issue in SW&D these days?
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:30am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Bourbon. 2 seconds ago
- › lefty's random dog thread. 27 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 55 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 29th AUGUST: THE 'ALL BLUES' CHALLENGE 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Yellow Hook Necktie Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › Jacket sleeve cuff angle / Shirt Cuff Angle 3 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)