Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:40 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1650post #24736 of 787213/20/12 at 9:07am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24737 of 787213/20/12 at 9:14ampost #24738 of 787213/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:Originally Posted by gdl203
I think your reasons for cherry-picking these outfits are slightly different. People are tired of mocking you in MC while they're still getting a kick out of it in SWD. You're a tough grizzli with a care bear heart inside, so when you feel sad and lonely the claws come out.
lâche-lui les basquespost #24739 of 787213/20/12 at 9:16ampost #24740 of 787213/20/12 at 9:16amQuote:
SW&D people get rid of stuff before the 10 year mark - too dated by then.
Quote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Back in suits after a run of casual days, but not really formal, as having some kaleidoscopic fun with the patterns:
I like the suit, Holdfast. Is the chalkstripe purple?
Here's What I'm Wearing Right Now:post #24741 of 787213/20/12 at 9:17ampost #24742 of 787213/20/12 at 9:18ampost #24743 of 787213/20/12 at 9:28ampost #24744 of 787213/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24745 of 787213/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24746 of 787213/20/12 at 9:30ampost #24747 of 787213/20/12 at 9:49ampost #24748 of 787213/20/12 at 10:24am
Quote:Originally Posted by F. Corbera
There is a significant degree to which small, "workwear" or "heritage influenced" brands run parallel to classicly American casual, sports, and "manual labor" wear. This is particularly the case with all the makers and brands...Japanese or otherwise...flowing out of the Japanese obsessive-compulsive workwear American-costume-recreation movement. Chinos are chinos. Plaid shirts are plaid shirts. Shell boots are shell boots. A barn coat is a barn coat. A 501-derived jean is a 501-derived jean. The "fashion labels" that you list...Epaulet, N&F, Gitman, Beams...are not in the same mode as Demeulemeester and Yamamoto.
I absolutely agree. What I am saying is that it's not just standard MC WAYWRN without the tie or either the North-eastern US or Italian-style upper class casual that is affected by so many here. And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear. But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.post #24749 of 787213/20/12 at 10:46amQuote:
FTFY.Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
And yes, I tend towards the 'heritage / workwear influenced' stuff when I am not on university business. Mind you, I do actually also have a smallholding with a barn, vegetables, fruit trees and chickens so some of the stuff is also being worn functionally as actual workwear.
In my little SF advice column, one of the things that I poorly try get across is that it is useful for beginners to examine on what point of the informal/formal spectrum their life lies, and taking cues from that. I feel (without being able to offer convincing evidence) that the current MC crowd might benefit from a toning down of the level of formality in their coat and tie looks.
You, in contrast, have thought about this. More power to you...which takes me to...Quote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
But I don't really have the lifestyle to accomodate the more radical or couture type of fashion clothing, unless I dressed this way to work, to which I have no fundamental objection but it would require an entirely new wardrobe and sense of myself... so a pretty tall order.
...that's exactly it. When I see those SW&D "fits" in suburban back lawns or in the homes of parents, it really doesn't work for me.
The MC crowd has its own similar sins arife, of course.
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:04ampost #24750 of 787213/20/12 at 11:03amQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I think Moo was trolling a little by picking specifically the looks MC wouldn't like. Honestly, most of stuff in the hall of fame thread would (I think?) be appreciated here, even if many of you wouldn't wear it:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I guess this would be a reverse-cherry-pick?
1. Jamieson is a red herring. That was an old "MC" fit cross-posted over there. He can basically do no wrong, but I'm not a fan of the hat...which is as ubiquitous in your selections as are...oddly...raincoats.
2. The guy with the slick hair and peacoat looks suspiciously like a Sartorialist pic. Is it really a SW&D member or even an SF member?
3. Berlin Report always looks great, which I hope any mens shop owner would. (There's that hat again, though.) A lot of what he wears falls into the category that Monkey and I were discussing.
Everyone else that you posted looks either really awful, or if not, has a look that if found on a dude approaching 30 or passing it, would look rather unfortunate. From tween to twenties, awful to great. Beyond that, I don't want to see a mktitsworth with fades indicating the contents of his front pockets.
Is this really the best that you could find? And what's with the raincoats...is humidity an issue in SW&D these days?
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/20/12 at 11:30am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 1 minute ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Motorcycles 2 minutes ago
- › Cigars 2 minutes ago
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...