or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1329  

post #19921 of 78722

TKE, man, you really need a haircut. The way it points out at the sides looks really weird.

post #19922 of 78722

Great mix of patterns. Love it!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

amRAi.jpgDhdNU.jpgxtWCN.jpgVCw1k.jpg


 

post #19923 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandbn View Post

Whither teh PS (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Why does he need a pocket square? I like them, but I don't think everyone else must.
And, unless you also run a law firm, I doubt that he would be well served by substituting your judgment for his own regarding the appropriateness of a square in his professional context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post


Of course you are completely correct sugarbutch, but the whole reason to post (for me) is to solicit outside opinions. As much as I think cpt120's fits are light years ahead of mine (though not perfect) in the appropriate context, it would be ridiculous for me to copy. But deandbn doesn't know this, nor is there any reason he would. What I like is his encouragement regarding expressing more passion. I appreciate the encouragement. 

Thanks Patrick, for the vote of confidence, maybe i can express my thoughts a bit more eloquently this time.

Sorry sugarbutch I disagree with you because :-

All Lawyers need Pocket Squares Bud. Its called Marketing oneself, they need to look real good, and is the name of the game. A bit of flair here, a bit of fire there, kinda muted peacock. People buy what they can see, and what is it they see, well the lawyer himself of course. There is no other visible product, it's all in his head. He better make a good first impression.

A nice well made, well fitted, meduim to dark suit to show substance and class.
A crisp shirt, well fitting collar, and nice cuffs, with well shined shoes to show attention to detail.
A tie with a well made knot to show a bit of attitude, and with enough of a boner to show he is the boss and means business.
A Pocket Square with a bit of flair here, or a bit of fire there, to show a bit of passion.
Hey even a thick solid folded white hank to show solidarity with the client. (or maybe even to cry into shog[1].gif )

Well that is what i would look for in a first impression of a lawyer I was going to pay big bucks to, to protect me, and even if i am not clever enough to be able to verbalize what i am looking for, the overall image is what counts. It does not matter whether i run a law firm or not, this is what i would be looking for, and if i did run a law firm, I should be setting the example, and I would definitely want all my employees to have the same values. That I can tell you for nothing!!

Oh, and one last thought,
The Pen, dont pull out a Bic ballpoint with a chewed end to sign the contract with, make it a decent one.

Oh, and another :-
If you going to want the judge to take you seriously, you better look real serious yourself.

Just my opinion of course sugarbutch, and I am sure you will agree Patrick. Passion as you yourself said.

Now there is a good New Years resolution.



A defensible position, but, for me, not a universal one. Check out some recent gdl203 & C&A posts in the CBD thread for examples of a well dressed man sans hanky:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5400_50#post_5078528
http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5400_50#post_5078026
http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5350_50#post_5045940
http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5350_50#post_5048598

Please bear in mind that I wear a PS just about every time I wear a jacket.
post #19924 of 78722
Part of my new year's plan is to post some fits here. I need to up my photo skills - which will take some experimenting.

Hope you will bear with my first effort in a long time.

500
800

Jacket - Billy Reid (via Spoo)
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Capelli
Square - Santorelli
Trou - Armani
Socks - Pantherella
Shoes - C&J
post #19925 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by le.gentleman View Post

525

I can't decide if this is incredibly awesome or hmmmm.

I want to go with incredibly awesome because this is perfect white tie (I assume that you're about to head out with an overcoat, or about to take your topper off having arrived...right?) So, bravo. It is very elegant.

You now live in America, correct? Tell us about the occasion for which you are duded up. I'm hoping that you're going to an event where all the other guys are in white tie or formal military dress.

I ask because it touches on some topics that are interesting (well, at least to me.)
post #19926 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

TKE, man, you really need a haircut. The way it points out at the sides looks really weird.

I agree. Your clothes are getting better, but you need a haircut or hat.
post #19927 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by le.gentleman View Post

525

I can't decide if this is incredibly awesome or hmmmm.

I want to go with incredibly awesome because this is perfect white tie (I assume that you're about to head out with an overcoat, or about to take your topper off having arrived...right?) So, bravo. It is very elegant.

You now live in America, correct? Tell us about the occasion for which you are duded up. I'm hoping that you're going to an event where all the other guys are in white tie or formal military dress.

I ask because it touches on some topics that are interesting (well, at least to me.)

You posted in Foo's white/black tie thread about the lack of appropriate occasion for formal dress and made a point (paraphrasing, here) that it's essentially ungracious to show up wearing a dinner jacket where most men would be wearing lounge suits. I missed the chance in that thread, but since you bring it up here, I wanted to ask whether you think that the lowest level of formality should prevail and preclude others from wearing what might otherwise be appropriate. Given that dress codes (implied or explicit) and adherence to them vary so widely, it seems likely that barring a private function, there's almost certainly going to be a number of men who will show up in relatively casual wear. Do we simply give up in the face of this? Establish our own societies for the wearing of dinner jackets?
post #19928 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Let 2012 begin.
6fc9b2f5.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
7ff38404.jpg
c3739c19.jpg
feea8d15.jpg

That tie is amazing.
post #19929 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Do we simply give up in the face of this?

I wouldn't presume to have an answer for your question.

Either because of daily expectation (specific professions in specific locations, for example) or because of expectations related to an occasion (a job interview, a wedding, a black tie party, just to pick three common thread types on SF), coat and tie survives as a community standard of dress, albeit a standard in decline.

There do seem, however, to be a lot of Mens Clothing forum members on SF (and on other forums as well, as well as active in the larger ether) who wear tailored dress (or have adopted opinions of tailored dress) in defiance of their immediate social, professional, and familial environments. For many of these guys, coat and tie seems to be a mode to stand apart, or to stand out, or to visually lecture those whom they view as slobs. And of course, such slobs are assumed to have all manner of other attributes peculiar to the lazy and miscreant.

My curiosity about this far exceeds my settled opinion on it. So, don't expect any great insight from me.
post #19930 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post


That tie is amazing.

If you think thats good, you should see my toothbrush holder.
post #19931 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

If you think thats good, you should see my toothbrush holder.

Pocket Square Ranking for Today, Top Ten from Best to Worst:

1. Soft, white cotton voile hanky stuffed in.

2. White linen or cotton hanky in a sloppy (did I say sloppy? I did?) edges-out plain fold.

3. No pocket square at all.

4. A madder or other matte silk square in a complex, irregular but muted pattern.

5. White linen hanky in SF-popular TV fold that looks like a blank index card that can slice a tomato or wreak yakuza discipline.

6. The Hermès number that you wore today without the word Hermès visible.

7. The Hermès number as you wore it today with the word Hermès visible.

8. Lining of breast pocket pullled out; lint here and there.

9. A banana, celery stalk, Nagrani Ovadafut sock, or compact bike tire pump.

10. Duchamp, Brioni, or Paul Frederick square, or Simpsons Bedsheet Hanky.
post #19932 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Do we simply give up in the face of this?

I wouldn't presume to have an answer for your question.

Either because of daily expectation (specific professions in specific locations, for example) or because of expectations related to an occasion (a job interview, a wedding, a black tie party, just to pick three common thread types on SF), coat and tie survives as a community standard of dress, albeit a standard in decline.

There do seem, however, to be a lot of Mens Clothing forum members on SF (and on other forums as well, as well as active in the larger ether) who wear tailored dress (or have adopted opinions of tailored dress) in defiance of their immediate social, professional, and familial environments. For many of these guys, coat and tie seems to be a mode to stand apart, or to stand out, or to visually lecture those whom they view as slobs. And of course, such slobs are assumed to have all manner of other attributes peculiar to the lazy and miscreant.

My curiosity about this far exceeds my settled opinion on it. So, don't expect any great insight from me.

If you refuse to make sweeping generalizations and universal pronouncements, you will never succeed at this internet thing.

You bring up an interesting point about standing out. I perceive a continuum which has at one end men who are dressing up in order to stand out and at the other men who happen to stand out as a side effect of their choice of attire.
post #19933 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

You bring up an interesting point about standing out. I perceive a continuum which has at one end men who are dressing up in order to stand out and at the other men who happen to stand out as a side effect of their choice of attire.

If that is a continuum, it is a circular one unless we are talking about dummies.
post #19934 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

If you think thats good, you should see my toothbrush holder.

Pocket Square Ranking for Today, Top Ten from Best to Worst:

1. Soft, white cotton voile hanky stuffed in.

2. White linen or cotton hanky in a sloppy (did I say sloppy? I did?) edges-out plain fold.

3. No pocket square at all.

4. A madder or other matte silk square in a complex, irregular but muted pattern.

5. White linen hanky in SF-popular TV fold that looks like a blank index card that can slice a tomato or wreak yakuza discipline.

6. The Hermès number that you wore today without the word Hermès visible.

7. The Hermès number as you wore it today with the word Hermès visible.

8. Lining of breast pocket pullled out; lint here and there.

9. A banana, celery stalk, Nagrani Ovadafut sock, or compact bike tire pump.

10. Duchamp, Brioni, or Paul Frederick square, or Simpsons Bedsheet Hanky.

Have you any idea how long that took to fluff that way?

PS- I'm curious what you wore on NYE.
post #19935 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Pocket Square Ranking for Today, Top Ten from Best to Worst:
1. Soft, white cotton voile hanky stuffed in.
2. White linen or cotton hanky in a sloppy (did I say sloppy? I did?) edges-out plain fold.
3. No pocket square at all.
4. A madder or other matte silk square in a complex, irregular but muted pattern.
5. White linen hanky in SF-popular TV fold that looks like a blank index card that can slice a tomato or wreak yakuza discipline.
6. The Hermès number that you wore today without the word Hermès visible.
7. The Hermès number as you wore it today with the word Hermès visible.
8. Lining of breast pocket pullled out; lint here and there.
9. A banana, celery stalk, Nagrani Ovadafut sock, or compact bike tire pump.
10. Duchamp, Brioni, or Paul Frederick square, or Simpsons Bedsheet Hanky.

I must point out that you blatently left out my infamous 'Hello Kitty' pocket square from the ugly pocket square contest. Should you wish to verify in person it's absolute stunning effect I will be happy to send it to you post haste. PM me with your address.

500

As I just returned from the beach I'm also wondering where you might rank a sea shell as a pocket accessory. I almost wore one this morning for the amusement of all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III