or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1282  

post #19216 of 78722
if the tie knot is too skimpy with a FIH, i go for a double FIH
if a regular FIH makes a big enough knot, then i don't do a double FIH
(sometimes it is impossible to do a proper double FIH because the knot just because massive and ends up looking like some kind of goiter)
this mainly depends on 1. the tie material and thickness and 2. tie length - because that determines at what point i tie the knot

simple as that
post #19217 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadbearer View Post

worship.gifworship2.gifworship.gifworship2.gif
I think I speak for all of us.

I don't know man, looks like an awful lot of makeup she has going on in those pictures.
post #19218 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommenceFailure View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

In regards to the double FIH, get the basics right first (regular FIH). I'm not a fan of this knot personally as I think it just looks a bit affected and is definitely a SF groupthink thing. Only time I can see it appropriate over a regular FIH is if you are short and you have a lot of tie length to take up. Hope that helps.


Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it SF groupthink. A double four-in-a-hand is indiscernible from a regular FIH by anyone but us clothes-nerds. It has a handful of positive aspects: It has a slightly larger sized to fill your collar if needed, and keeps the asymmetry of the regular FIH. It's no harder to tie than the FIH. I have one tie that, for whatever reason, it just works better than the FIH. I would be wary of declaring what's classy and not classy, or whats SF approved or SF groupthink.

I say people should experiment and try to figure out what works with them. Most would agree a windsor throws the proportions off a bit, but for us with slightly less luxurious neckwear, maybe we need the size a double four-in-a-hand can offer.

All of this may be true. A double FIH if not too bulky is largely indistinguishable from a single FIH but this does not take into account the version of the double FIH displayed on SF, which is the one that exposes the inner loop of the knot. I have never seen this ever anywhere in the real world, only on SF wherein it seems to be met with almost universal praise and thus this may be why the OP considers it SF approved. Personally I think it looks fucking shite, ridiculously affected, and my initial reaction until I learned it was the SF approved way to tie a tie was along the lines of 'look at the picture of that bloke. He has created an outfit of impressive colour, pattern and fit but he doesn't even know how to tie a tie properly'. This reaction is equally employed when I see exposed side-by-side tie blades, skinny blades longer than fat blades and other pitiful attempts at spazzatura that in reality just expose the wearer's desperation to be noticed when the clothes should speak for themselves without the need.
post #19219 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

All of this may be true. A double FIH if not too bulky is largely indistinguishable from a single FIH but this does not take into account the version of the double FIH displayed on SF, which is the one that exposes the inner loop of the knot. I have never seen this ever anywhere in the real world, only on SF wherein it seems to be met with almost universal praise and thus this may be why the OP considers it SF approved. Personally I think it looks fucking shite, ridiculously affected, and my initial reaction until I learned it was the SF approved way to tie a tie was along the lines of 'look at the picture of that bloke. He has created an outfit of impressive colour, pattern and fit but he doesn't even know how to tie a tie properly'. This reaction is equally employed when I see exposed side-by-side tie blades, skinny blades longer than fat blades and other pitiful attempts at spazzatura that in reality just expose the wearer's desperation to be noticed when the clothes should speak for themselves without the need.

Well, so much for the "niceman" in Ianiceman nest.gif
post #19220 of 78722
I totally get your point. I think it's hard for people stand out when you are talking about mens clothes. New people can't stand out with subtle, sophisticated touches and they have to revert to dumb fake sprezzatura stuff, like a monk strap undone or an undone surgeon cuff.

My only point is that this just a way tie your tie. It's not pretending to forget a button or buckle or not paying attention to your tie legnth. It's a choice someone makes for actual reasons that benefit how they look. I don't think they should be in the same category as super affected sprezz. It might be a little trendy on the forums, but lots of things were trendy because they were just good things, like the dinner jacket for instance.

The half a centimeter of the inner-loop on a double four-in-a-hand doesn't bother me, and I don't think people would notice unless they knew what to look for. Does it really stick out that much to you?
post #19221 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

All of this may be true. A double FIH if not too bulky is largely indistinguishable from a single FIH but this does not take into account the version of the double FIH displayed on SF, which is the one that exposes the inner loop of the knot. I have never seen this ever anywhere in the real world, only on SF wherein it seems to be met with almost universal praise and thus this may be why the OP considers it SF approved. Personally I think it looks fucking shite, ridiculously affected, and my initial reaction until I learned it was the SF approved way to tie a tie was along the lines of 'look at the picture of that bloke. He has created an outfit of impressive colour, pattern and fit but he doesn't even know how to tie a tie properly'. This reaction is equally employed when I see exposed side-by-side tie blades, skinny blades longer than fat blades and other pitiful attempts at spazzatura that in reality just expose the wearer's desperation to be noticed when the clothes should speak for themselves without the need.

This is what I was thinking of as well. I also have never seen it outside SF and I don't think it's a co-incidence that when Phat Guido starting using this knot the amount of them showing up on here skyrocketed along with everyones praise for it. Call it groupthink, or circle jerk or SF approved or whatever, it is what it is. And I'm not saying it's not ok to to follow these things or try them or whatever, especially for the guys starting out, just saying they aren't my cup of tea. He ties it quite well and is also pretty short, so probably has an excuse, but it's still this exposed loop version explained above.
post #19222 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

]
Hickey Freeman suit
Carrot and Gibbs bow
Brooks Siblings shirt

Thanks, all, for the kind comments. To UpperCrust, yes, it is a MTM Hickey Freeman. To Holdfast, it was a normal knot to begin with, but when I snapped the shot, one of the wings folded under and became funky. Sprezz? shog[1].gif
post #19223 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post

Amazing...however, do not look at the bottom right corner of the last picture. NSFW man camel toe alert!foo.gif

Sir, I believe the term of art to be "moose knuckle."
post #19224 of 78722
Hey, Acecow -

Fuck you, man.

Love, Spoo
post #19225 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

I'm not a fan of this knot personally as I think it just looks a bit affected and is definitely a SF groupthink thing.

"Affected" is such a meaningless word. Anything that is done deliberately can be called affected. You wear a pocket square? That's affected. You use bar shoe lacing instead of criss-cross lacing? That's affected. Contrasting socks? Affected. Three-piece suit? Affected. Why can't you just say it's unattractive if that's what you think?
post #19226 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

Haven't posted in a while. It's too bad that waiters suck at taking pictures. Recent Vegas trip. First at Bouchon. Second at Abriya Raku Grill. If you're going to Vegas, I highly recommend the second place. It's off the strip and features authentic Japanese cuisine and a large assortment of Sake. Definitely among the top 3 Japenese restaurants I've been to.
642
312

hey acecow,

why didn't you pixelate your face and instead let us appreciate your lady's looks... you selfish son of a bitch...

love ,
angina
post #19227 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Hey, Acecow -
Fuck you, man.
Love, Spoo

he's egging you on to post pics of mrs. spoo
post #19228 of 78722
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Pity all of us for having this thread ruined by ridiculous nit picking.

Yes, well all have to catch a ride to the space station and watch the world come to an end.happy.gif
post #19229 of 78722
Because I wasn't saying it is unattractive, I was saying it affected (my opinion). The two words have completely different meanings.

Also not sure why you would find a 3 piece suit affected ?
post #19230 of 78722
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Mele Kalikimaka, folks.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III