or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 1247  

post #18691 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

@ CDHagg: please burn that tie.

     Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post


Stylistically, I'd wear a different color shirt and a different tie as well.



It's a charcoal suit, so I see your point concerning the color of the shirt.

 

The knot on this tie usually looks better than in these pictures.  I tried to get a dimple in the knot, but it seems that I tightened it a bit too much.  The color of the tie can't be changed, though, so I just might burn it once I accrue enough suitable replacements.  It's a cheap tie.

 

post #18692 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

^ ok CDHagg... I hate to be the first to feedback but here goes.....
clearly you've indicated the pants need work...but pants are easy so shouldn't be too complicated for a good tailor. Cuff or no cuff I guess is up to you - (they are flat front correct so my preference would be no cuff) - but they certainly are a bit long and do need some slimming in the thigh/ass/crotch area. In the jacket close-up (4th pic) the coat seems to fit pretty well on your right side.... the left seems not to hang as nicely but that could be from your stance/posture. Overall the shoulders look pretty good. In the 3rd pic (jacket reverse) it seems you have some pulling across the top of the back b/t the shoulders which can be problematic to fix after the fact. Based on your arm length it also seems the jacket is a bit short...not a lot but a bit and from reverse it doesn't quite fall far enough over your bum. It is by no means repulsive.... but getting a great fit can make all the difference. I feel the tie knot could use a little work as it appears a bit limp.... I'm sure there are other points that will be highlighted by other posts but IMHO you could sharpen this up significantly w/ a little work.
ok...Romo beat me to it... now I'm #2


Is it actually possible for a tailor to slim the thigh/crotch area?

 

My shoulders are actually uneven in height-a fact that my tailor pointed out when I complained that he couldn't remove a dimple from one side of a different jacket.  I think a bespoke jacket might be the only remedy.

 

I think the problem is a roll above the shoulder blades, and an excess of fabric below the shoulder blades which causes a vertical fold.  The roll can be fixed-I've had it done before.  Not sure about the looseness below the shoulder blades.

 

Thanks for the input, Kid Nick.  Always appreciated.  satisfied.gif

 

 


 

 

post #18693 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post


Yes. The monochrome look has a very dated, '90s vibe. I think it got so popular because it takes color matching out of the equation. Contrast is good. Embrace it.
There's no reason not to get cuffs just because the pants are flat front. If you want cuffs, go for it.
I'm not sure the pants need tapering. It's easy to go overboard.
And yes, burn the tie.


Got the shirt for $9 at a consignment store.  I've gotten many good wears out of it, but maybe it's time to move on with my life.

 

And with regard to a 90's vibe, I was worried that the pants looked kind of like bell-bottoms from that age.  Also, if I have them shortened to remove a break, the width of the pants (below the knee) will be even more pronounced.  I can always have my tailor adjust the pants in stages, of course...

post #18694 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post


Assuming you are standing straight, consider the following:
Either the fronts need to be yanked down, or the front balance is off. As it is, the jacket looks like it's falling backwards. When a jacket rests on the shoulders, it should fall straight down. If it rides backwards, the results can include a gap in the collar, a closed front (not necessarily a bad thing), and, as the second picture shows, a skirt that flares outward (always a bad thing).
That said, it could very well be your posture. In any case, I might add that the jacket shoulders fit acceptably well and the sleeve length is considerably better than many.



It isn't my posture, it's the jacket.  I doubt it can be fixed.  No matter how much I pull down on the front of the jacket, the bottom front of the jacket still flairs forwards.  Even though it may not look it in the photos, the jacket is actually rather tight.  Not sure if that's the problem, though.

 

post #18695 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHagg View Post



Is it actually possible for a tailor to slim the thigh/crotch area?

My shoulders are actually uneven in height-a fact that my tailor pointed out when I complained that he couldn't remove a dimple from one side of a different jacket.  I think a bespoke jacket might be the only remedy.

I think the problem is a roll above the shoulder blades, and an excess of fabric below the shoulder blades which causes a vertical fold.  The roll can be fixed-I've had it done before.  Not sure about the looseness below the shoulder blades.

Thanks for the input, Kid Nick.  Always appreciated.  satisfied.gif




 

A good tailor really shouldn't have any problem with the pants... I've had amazing things done with pants that were multiple sizes too large and ended up being fantastic...really it's only limited by the tailor's skill. He'll probably take them in from the seat and remove that extra fabric...could also slim the entire leg down the vertical seam.

As has been mentioned the good thing is that the jacket's shoulders look good. So the coat may be a touch short but oh well. The sleeve length is good and ya a little ripple in the upper back... again, oh well. It really does look fine from the front and with a new shirt and tie (contrast!) you'll be fine. Check the "How Do You Buy Ties" thread for info.... I almost never buy ties at retail and often get great ties for far below retail... in fact I just picked up a nice Valentino number yesterday for about $25. (100% silk, wool, cashmere whatever and please not made in China)

Lastly, I can relate to your shoulder/back issue as I have a somewhat fucked up spine... ultimately, yes only a nicely made bespoke jacket can compensate for, and mask any physical deficiencies/anomalies you may have from the ideal Adonis physique. This, of course, is the whole point of having a suit custom made as it will fit you and feel like no other... b/c in fact there isn't an "other"! Glad to help .... biggrin.gif
post #18696 of 78723
btw... for all you pyromaniacs on here who want us all to burn our horrible tie choices have you seen this? Kevin Garnett telling Craig Sager to burn his entire fucking suit after the interview...pretty funny! lol8[1].gif



is Sager the anti-Christ of SF!?!
post #18697 of 78723

SPOT ON!   rotflmao.gif

post #18698 of 78723

imageco.jpg

imagejmz.jpg

 

 


Edited by tactical1 - 12/20/11 at 9:21am
post #18699 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

PbGCQ.jpgT5nzX.jpgc7gkq.jpgeh4Y1.jpg

Great tie. You should wear it in the Chrysler Building for
the complete Deco experience.
post #18700 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Ridiculously annoying Monday, for a whole heap of petty reasons. The smile below precedes the avalanche of stupidity I was to encounter later. The sole bright spot was popping into Ede in the afternoon to pick up a new suit, which I'll probably wear tomorrow. Here's to a better Tuesday!

p1uRR.jpg

zegna or zegna cloth by Sartoriale?
post #18701 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post

Very nice. I wish more people knew how to use warm, strong colours and textures with this sort of quiet restraint.
But it does call for a pocket square. biggrin.gif

@Malford

I agree totally, and also said i thought he should have used the folded white square as he used the other day.
biggrin.gif

Edit: These are the kind of words I wanted to use. Hope you see this Malford.

I will be even more upfront and say that the folded white square combined with Malford's physical stature used with these warm, strong colours and textures with this sort of quiet restraint, would set a tone of masculinity and power that would complete the outfit totally.

and ...

IMO A smokey wisp of silk venturing hesitantly forth just wouldnt cut it.
Edited by deandbn - 12/12/11 at 11:40pm
post #18702 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

Very nice TB as usual from you. I have to admit a strong prejudice against that double FIH that you and some others insist on doing. It looks to me like you don't know how to tie a tie properly and I always cringe when I see them on here. I may be in a minority but I reckon these ties would look so much better with either a single FIH or a double without the inner loop showing.

I think the double loop showing adds a whole lot of creative interest and looks really striking, specially when not clouded by a patterned tie.

Maybe in a regimented military parade everyone could / should be expected to thie their knots the same way.
post #18703 of 78723
Some fairly ugly ties on this page of WAYWN :/
post #18704 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHagg View Post

2011-12-11_001.JPG


First of all, I want to say, that you're on a good way - but I want to give you some easy and cheap advises:

- You will need a white shirt. Go for it! You need it anyways so buy one and wear it with this suit.
- You will need a white pocket square. It's also a must have. Linen or silk. I think that a dark blue PS is too dark for this suit.
- You will need black shoes. The third must have. Go for plain cap-toe oxfords in black. It's not totally wrong, but I don't like the suit-shoes combination here. There are some cheap sources for all those things and as I said you need them - more sooner than later.

With the advises above you can improve your appearing from 60%->90% perfection.

Go on like this!
post #18705 of 78723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

I have to admit a strong prejudice against that double FIH that you and some others insist on doing. It looks to me like you don't know how to tie a tie properly and I always cringe when I see them on here.

I had never seen the double 4IH until I joined SF, and I didn't much like it at first. Then it grew on me. It has since become my go-to knot when wearing solid ties because the extra wrap adds just the right touch extra visual interest. For busier ties, though, I stick with the 4IH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHagg View Post

2011-12-11_001.JPG

Before you go shortening those slacks, first try hitching them up to your waist. They may already be the proper length once you get them to stay where they belong. In other words, what they need may be a waistband adjustment, not a leg length adjustment. I can't say for sure, though, because you're wearing a jacket in all your pics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III