or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 963  

post #14431 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

 

The other one I would have gone for was a light grey cord suit with a dark blue shirt, but the suit needs cleaning and alteration before I unleash it on the forum (if I ever do - it may just get cleaned and go straight to the Salvation Army along with the brown shirt)...

 

I'm still not convinced that dark shirts can never work as part of a suit ensemble - though I agree that as CBD it's out - so I would like to see those who do think it can work here, post some examples at some point. Maybe in a different thread. 

 


one can't answer the question of whether dark shirts work in isolation - it is as much a function of established conventions around what dark ensembles ARE used for, since we view anything through the lens of cultural conditioning. so as long as game show hosts and night club bouncers wear dark ensembles, it'll be tough to wear one without immediately being associated with them. if, hypothetically, they were to switch to CBD as their uniform, all of a sudden the apparent appropriateness and inevitability of CBD as CBD would be in question.
post #14432 of 78724
Banis, I actually preferred yesterday to today.

Spoo, I know those pants and I think they work fine in that outfit in real life, but light/mid grey would have been better.

The guy dressed as heath ledger playing the joker, crazy.gif
post #14433 of 78724

Re: dark shirts - if you want to use them during the daytime, an easy option is to pair them with cream/white jeans/trousers in summer for a casual look. A little too "cheesy Riviera" for some, I'm sure, but an option if you like that effect.

 

 

 

 

 

Anyway, our brief but splendid Indian Summer has now passed so more typical October fabrics have emerged:

 

 

nCfBQ.jpg

post #14434 of 78724
I'm liking the flannel & tweeds today.
post #14435 of 78724

Another extreme sartorial miss Flying Monkey. The combination was pretty awful.. and that tie should be destroyed, put in a wooden crate, chain wrapped and then thrown into a firey chasm.

post #14436 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

 

The other one I would have gone for was a light grey cord suit with a dark blue shirt, but the suit needs cleaning and alteration before I unleash it on the forum (if I ever do - it may just get cleaned and go straight to the Salvation Army along with the brown shirt)...

 

I'm still not convinced that dark shirts can never work as part of a suit ensemble - though I agree that as CBD it's out - so I would like to see those who do think it can work here, post some examples at some point. Maybe in a different thread. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Re: dark shirts - if you want to use them during the daytime, an easy option is to pair them with cream/white jeans/trousers in summer for a casual look. A little too "cheesy Riviera" for some, I'm sure, but an option if you like that effect.


That's how I do it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
waywrnmccasualpieddepou.jpg

This is more like the spring/early autumn version of it. I think a winter version is possible too: light to mid grey woolen flannel and a heavy navy oxford shirt.
post #14437 of 78724
Yeah... It's barely back in the 80s at this point around here... On the plus side, jackets can be worn again with out dying though.

6211763896_014606edfb_z.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
6211787670_a4fa7fb5c1_z.jpg
6211251915_e025cae2eb_z.jpg
post #14438 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Little experiment here... I was thinking about the reception our young friend with the grey suit, black shirt and horrible tie got recently, and wondering if it was ever possible to do something with a dark shirt that worked. Perhaps not trying to be quite so 'formal'. Well, this is what I tried. I'd normally wear a subtly-striped or gridded white shirt with this Paul Smith cord suit (whose colour is much better represented in the first shot) and this old solid dark brown shirt (from Coles) is not one I wear much at all these days - I don't like cutaway collars, or the colour - but it serves a purpose in this test. The tie (from a Swedish company, Atlas Design) isn't in any way a perfect solution, and I think it may be impossible to get this look right. A friend suggested a knitted red or rust coloured tie but I think that would be too much in the same colour area. (Other small details: the cufflinks are vintage 1950s copper ones (manufacturer unknown), the pocket square is a silkscreened cotton print from Japan, and the coat is a vintage West Country Tweed from Dunn's, which I wear a lot at this time of year).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Photo on 2011-10-04 at 08.11.jpg

 

Photo on 2011-10-04 at 08.14.jpg

 

  ;



Well....since I led the charge against 'our young friend' as mentioned in your post I guess I should reply here.

I'm all for experimentation, and 'bending' the rules, and I personally have an affection for strong ties. I appreciate the thought here, and I would even go so far as to say there is a time and place for a dark shirt with a sport coat (particularly without tie).

But more often than not bending the rules works when it is in the context of a fit that is otherwise perfected and perhaps even 'expected'. Or when it reflects a deep understanding of the context and history of men's clothing. In your case this fit is just layer upon layer of 'individuality'. As much as I appreciate the personal self expression, I also note that this is a risky thing to do. And no matter how well done it is you will have your strong detractors. If you are aware of the image you project, and it's consequenses, then I'm all for you taking the risks. I actually admire and appreciate courage in all forms.

Specifcs for me regarding this fit would mostly be confined to one thing. This will most likely never work with a tie - and most particularly not that one. The tie itself has no redeeming qualities that I can discern - I agree it should be put out of it's misery. As for the rest, I'm actually fine, it's not business dressing by any means - but you've shown a knowledge of what you are wearing and more than inkling of an understanding of color and texture.

Keep experimenting - it's interesting.

As for our young friend of earlier in the week - I hope he learned something useful - if not about clothing at least about how to interact with grown ups. biggrin.gif
post #14439 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Tits, my wife gives your socks the thumbs up.

Try saying this sentence out loud.

Reflect then, on what the internets has done to you.

lol8[1].gif C'mon, man. If Tits didn't have such a temptingly abbreviatable handle, that sentence would have been fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSF View Post

Victor (Click to show)
IMG_0265.jpg

Nice photo, Victor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Suit, shirt and tie - BB
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Shoes - New & Lingwood
Señor Crust (Click to show)
IMGP11541152x1280.jpg

Nice tie, Crust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Monkey (Click to show)

Little experiment here... I was thinking about the reception our young friend with the grey suit, black shirt and horrible tie got recently, and wondering if it was ever possible to do something with a dark shirt that worked. Perhaps not trying to be quite so 'formal'. Well, this is what I tried. I'd normally wear a subtly-striped or gridded white shirt with this Paul Smith cord suit (whose colour is much better represented in the first shot) and this old solid dark brown shirt (from Coles) is not one I wear much at all these days - I don't like cutaway collars, or the colour - but it serves a purpose in this test. The tie (from a Swedish company, Atlas Design) isn't in any way a perfect solution, and I think it may be impossible to get this look right. A friend suggested a knitted red or rust coloured tie but I think that would be too much in the same colour area. (Other small details: the cufflinks are vintage 1950s copper ones (manufacturer unknown), the pocket square is a silkscreened cotton print from Japan, and the coat is a vintage West Country Tweed from Dunn's, which I wear a lot at this time of year).

 

Photo on 2011-10-04 at 08.11.jpg

 

Photo on 2011-10-04 at 08.14.jpg

 

 


Sweet jayzus, man! Can't you put some spoiler tags on that shit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
c10bcd9c.jpg

Fabric is inlove.gif
post #14440 of 78724
Today...I dressed before I saw Spoo, I swear! Comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome...toned down the PS a bit after seeing the pic....

469

467
post #14441 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Anyway, our brief but splendid Indian Summer has now passed so more typical October fabrics have emerged

fabric is spectacular...details?
post #14442 of 78724
700
287
363
post #14443 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Anyway, our brief but splendid Indian Summer has now passed so more typical October fabrics have emerged

fabric is spectacular...details?


Thanks. As you can tell from the styling details of the suit not being spot-on for me (eg too narrow lapel), the suit is RTW rather than MTM/bespoke so I can't tell you what the fabric is specifically. It's a flannel suit from Ferragamo, but beyond that...?

post #14444 of 78724
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

That's how I do it. This is more like the spring/early autumn version of it. I think a winter version is possible too: light to mid grey woolen flannel and a heavy navy oxford shirt.

 

Yeah, navy shirt with stone/tan pants is the only legit dark shirt combo imo.


 

Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Today...I dressed before I saw Spoo, I swear! Comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome...toned down the PS a bit after seeing the pic....
469
 

 

Nice, ubr. Gray pants are really the way to go with these tweedy tan/brown jackets. Spoo, I like your combo, but agree with Matt the brown on brown is too muddy. 

 


 

 

post #14445 of 78724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post


Well....since I led the charge against 'our young friend' as mentioned in your post I guess I should reply here.
I'm all for experimentation, and 'bending' the rules, and I personally have an affection for strong ties. I appreciate the thought here, and I would even go so far as to say there is a time and place for a dark shirt with a sport coat (particularly without tie).
But more often than not bending the rules works when it is in the context of a fit that is otherwise perfected and perhaps even 'expected'. Or when it reflects a deep understanding of the context and history of men's clothing. In your case this fit is just layer upon layer of 'individuality'. As much as I appreciate the personal self expression, I also note that this is a risky thing to do. And no matter how well done it is you will have your strong detractors. If you are aware of the image you project, and it's consequenses, then I'm all for you taking the risks. I actually admire and appreciate courage in all forms.
Specifcs for me regarding this fit would mostly be confined to one thing. This will most likely never work with a tie - and most particularly not that one. The tie itself has no redeeming qualities that I can discern - I agree it should be put out of it's misery. As for the rest, I'm actually fine, it's not business dressing by any means - but you've shown a knowledge of what you are wearing and more than inkling of an understanding of color and texture.
Keep experimenting - it's interesting.
As for our young friend of earlier in the week - I hope he learned something useful - if not about clothing at least about how to interact with grown ups. biggrin.gif

 

Stop encouraging this kind of behavior

 

@ 1:00  seriously 


 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III