Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCasual Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- brandCeasare Attolinitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- topicKitontagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandKiton Napolitagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- brandSartoriotagged by The_Foxx, 11/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 10/11/11
- topicTweedtagged by SYSTEM, 10/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best "FU" SC - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 2/22/11 at 4:40pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 904post #13546 of 787219/28/11 at 8:55am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13547 of 787219/28/11 at 8:59amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
While I respect your view, I am not trying to dress CBD, and this is where I part company with some of the more conservative advice on the forum. First of, though, yes, sure the tie. It's unusual for me in that it is whimsical. I don't normally do whimsy but this one makes sense and is quietly amusing in the context in which I am wearing it (a seminar about security and the automation of war). And sorry, but I have no problem with coloured socks that pick up an aspect of the colour of the tie, for example, without matching. The shirt - well, it's pretty normal in the British traditional male dress aesthetics with which I grew up to put a bold grid pattern against a more sobre pinstripe or other subtly-striped suit, and the colour of the grid also picks up the minor colour in the suit, again without being matchy. I still think that aspect works. Unfortunately that is all but invisible due to the poor quality of the photo. As I said, it was really only the cut of the suit I was interested in today.
the tie is not whimsical - hermes "critter" ties are whimsical - it is just hideously ugly, and looks rather blood-soaked as well, which may have been intended for your current venue.
i know from your other posts that you react defensively sometimes to criticisms of taste, but i will not hold back on this tie.
Edited by freedom_fries - 9/28/11 at 9:11ampost #13548 of 787219/28/11 at 8:59am
Quote:post #13549 of 787219/28/11 at 8:59ampost #13550 of 787219/28/11 at 9:01ampost #13551 of 787219/28/11 at 9:04amOK, for those of you who care about what I am trying to explain, IST66's coat above gets it right. It's a bit tight for my taste and I might extend the shoulder a hair but the balance is dead perfect and it closes beautifully.
The pattern is so F-U that I think it needs a lighter shirt and anyway I don't like those deep blues, the tie would better if it were a plainer solid or a knit and the safety pin is stupid.post #13552 of 787219/28/11 at 9:04amQuote:Originally Posted by edmorel
change shirt to solid blue (not a dark shade) or very small blue gingham. As much as that is a great tie, I'd go with a darker blue one, dark green would also work or a burnt orange. The square, toss it. if you must wear a square, this ourfit calls for a solid cream or one of those moghul ones. Pants change to a grey grey shade. Shoes to a dark suede.Quote:
Just throwing this out for discussion...what if you simply switched to a very light blue shirt? That way you have 2 solids and 2 patterns. The blues in the tie and PS play off each other but aren't matchy-matchy. The PS has a small scale compared to the large scale of the SC.
I also like Ed's suggestion of having a darker colored tie - green or burnt orange - to create more contrast. But with the right palette I think the PS still works.post #13553 of 787219/28/11 at 9:05am
I would say because you have some dark blue or black in the jacket and then this very intense blue in the shirt and a dark tie, which makes the whole ensemble appear too 'deep' in terms of colour. Personally, I would have gone for a much lighter shirt, maybe even a simple white or off-white.post #13554 of 787219/28/11 at 9:05ampost #13555 of 787219/28/11 at 9:05amQuote:
+ probably a wide angle lens (zoomed-out zoom lens) which makes the top part bend backwards; same with TwoStep's pics above, in which he seems to be falling back a bit. Angle, like you said, and focal length can have quite a dramatic effect on proportions.post #13556 of 787219/28/11 at 9:07am
we posted at the same time, once my post was up and i saw yours also commenting about the shoes i knew it was only a mattter of time before the above was stated.
i think its really a color tone issue for me, not a material (suede) issue. if i could tell they are the choco color he says id prolly never have said a thing. oh well. shows how much i know. (not much)post #13557 of 787219/28/11 at 9:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
Well, this is the same issue I see with most of your stuff. It does not look "settled" but rather like it is riding up in front. I see it and I want to grab the bottom front and tug them down. Looks like the balance needs to be adjusted forward: drop the fronts at least and maybe raise the back but I don't know about the latter.
I am assuming that this is a shape/posture issue with you as most of what you wear seems to show it to my eye. It really can't be addressed with RTW.
I have a similar problem in that every RTW coat I could possibly buy or try on will have a short back balance, RTW block patterns are just not designed in a way that works for me in that respect. But because it's the back it's less noticable than if it were the front.
I have a similar problem to you with most rtw jackets - too long front balance. It can be altered by a good tailor, but it's expensive and there are limits I'm sure.Quote:
Solid isn't the problem, nor is blue, but it's a bit dark for the rest of the combination.post #13558 of 787219/28/11 at 9:10ampost #13559 of 787219/28/11 at 9:10am
This thread is locked
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 10 minutes ago
- › shirt pairing 12 minutes ago
- › Used Kitchen Cabinets For Sale UK 17 minutes ago
- › Carmina Rain-Last Tomir Soled Cap-Toe/Quarter Brogue 18 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...